The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

I liked Bieksa's game.. Really played well.. Only bad things I didn't like were his unnecessary penalties. He really needs to fix that part of his game and I'll say he'll be a keeper in Vancouver... Also, he turned the puck over about a couple times in our own end which thankfully didn't turn into goals...

ballard/hamhuis/malhotra and luuu were beasting in that ot pk. wow. i'm so pumped for this season even after the loss.

Finally seeing some hits from this season. Teams better keep their heads up or they are going to get run over.

For sure, more hits equals more wins. It was great to show that and put that win in the books tonight... err, wait a minute...

Oh snap, its GOALS that win games, not number of hits. oops.

I would take a W over a higher hit total any day.

I can't believe this thread exists at the first game of the season

if u ask me...the defence played a solid good game playing hard and physical...if anyone who should be criticized after game 1 its kesler for a stupid useless selfish penalty that if not taken wud prob be a win and shutout for luongo... good thing hes not captain..but ppl relax its game frigggin 1 !!!!!

With the grit, of course he could be grittier, but consider that he also created the most takaways from any of our defenders last season. Another interesting stat: Ehrhoff had almost double the giveaways last season as Bieksa.

EDIT: Edler also had almost as many giveaways as Ehrhoff.

Sure he has a lot of takeaways but that stat can be read in a lot of ways. If you watch Bieksa in our own zone, most of his takeaways are from:

1) Coughing the puck up and having to retrieve it back from the opposing team.

2) Failing to clear and once again having to retrieve it back from the opposing team.

If you've watched Canucks games for the past 3 years, this situation has happened numerous times and Bieksa is usually the cause of it when he's in the game.

Edler and Ehrhoff's giveaways are high because those 2 played the majority of the minutes last year. Also, having low takeaways is not necessarily a bad thing as it could mean that whenever they are on the ice, the puck is usually in the team's possession. Stats can't just be taken at face value.

I am a notorious Bieksa hater and a huge Kesler supporter, but this game wasn't bieksa's fault. We lacked finish, we took bad penalties, etc. This game shouldn't have been to even OT. We should have won that game. It went to a shootout due to a bad penalty that we couldn't kill off. We also couldn't score more than Erhoff's 2nd period goal. Anyway people we have 81 more games and we'll learn from this game and Go Canucks

Bieksa's turnovers are magnified to the max around here wholly jesus.

I didnt get to catch much of the game but what I did catch Torres turned the puck over at least 3 times and effectively killed a rush or started a Kings rush... why arent we crucifying Torres? Just because his name isn't Bieksa?? Torres looked attrocious out there from the little bit of the game i did catch yet I havent seen anything about his performance posted on the boards.

[sarcasm]I think we need to trade Torres for his horrible turnovers... lucky for him he didnt take a penalty or he would be on the first bus out of here if CDC had its way[/sarcasm]

Bieksa's turnovers are magnified to the max around here wholly jesus.

I didnt get to catch much of the game but what I did catch Torres turned the puck over at least 3 times and effectively killed a rush or started a Kings rush... why arent we crucifying Torres? Just because his name isn't Bieksa?? Torres looked attrocious out there from the little bit of the game i did catch yet I havent seen anything about his performance posted on the boards.

[sarcasm]I think we need to trade Torres for his horrible turnovers... lucky for him he didnt take a penalty or he would be on the first bus out of here if CDC had its way[/sarcasm]

All I had to read.....you can't seriously make a judgment call based on an incomplete viewing. Torres' passing energized several of our rushes last night and actually threw his weight around a little too. Maybe watch the whole game before you proselytize next time.

I couldn't even read most of this thread.

There's a reason why Henrik named Bieksa one of the four Alternate captains. He's a leader to this team, he's the most tenacious defenceman on the team and possibly the division (there's a few, EXPENSIVE, contenders in the conference). He takes good offensive opportunities, he won't back down to anyone, and while he may get some penalties, his team feels they are worth it. The OT penalty may have been an issue, but it happens from time to time.

Get over it people, the team sees him as a valuable asset and your negativity and pessimism isn't gonna help the situation.

I would see Torres' two consecutive giveaways on the PP more of a ball breaker than Bieksa's penalty.

I couldn't even read most of this thread.

There's a reason why Henrik named Bieksa one of the four Alternate captains. He's a leader to this team, he's the most tenacious defenceman on the team and possibly the division (there's a few, EXPENSIVE, contenders in the conference). He takes good offensive opportunities, he won't back down to anyone, and while he may get some penalties, his team feels they are worth it. The OT penalty may have been an issue, but it happens from time to time.

Get over it people, the team sees him as a valuable asset and your negativity and pessimism isn't gonna help the situation.

OT call was bogus, if you ask me...but I digress....

I'm over my pro- Bieksa phase. I fail to see how the +'s outweigh the -'s in his case.

I'm agreeing with you on this. I have nothing personal with him. It's just his level of discipline. Luongo didn't look that great on the shoot out and Kesler's penalty at the end of the game wasn't good either. He's going ot have no more excuses. He's playing with a good defensive partner so he should be better. He was not. How much time does he get. Not much if we've seen Gillis' MO.

KB problem is between his ears.

Archived