The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

Aha, but Alberts was his partner and all you guys are saying Alberts is a useless fighter. If Bieksa is the ONLY fighter on our D, then it is his job. You guys cant have it both ways.

Ballard probably didnt stick up for himself because he had his bell rung and could barely get off the ice let alone fight. use your head on that one..... ;)

Rick Rypien was injured that game.

A better question is, why not Bieksa? Why is he too good to stick up for Ballard there? Why should it be up to Glass or Alberts?

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Don't lump me in with "all you guys", please. I have never said anyone is a useless fighter, nor have I said Bieksa is the "ONLY" fighter on our D.

Ballard may have had his bell rung, but, unless the hit came on his last shift, he should have had an opportunity to get back at Richardson.

Rypien injured... Rypien suspended... Rypien not fighting... Rypien useless.

It shouldn't be up to Bieksa, a top 4 defender, to fight. He can fight, no doubt. But whom is more valuable to the team on the ice? Glass? Alberts? Desbiens? Or Bieksa? I, for one would rather have the latter on the ice.

Finally, i am not making excuses. I have no reason to make excuses for others. I am trying my best to supply you with my point of view on a touchy subject here in CDC-land.

I've watched every televised Canucks game this season, including those in pre-season, and I've seen plenty of opportunities where Bieksa could have defended his teammates by dropping the gloves. One of the most obvious examples I'm reminded of is when our godsend prospect Cody Hodgson was cruelly plastered into the boards on a late hit, with Bieksa metres away, in one of the final preseason games. No response came from Bieksa.

Bieksa used to be a guy who stood up for his teammates. He used to play with an edge. It's what earned him a multi-million dollar contract. Now he plays safe and ordinary. He's mustered second assists, and he's gone through motions. He's playing like he wants out of Canucksville, and isn't willing to risk damaging his knuckles for a team that he's already put in his rearview mirror. It's somewhat strange to say, but until I see him drop the gloves at the defense of one of his teammates, I'll remain unconvinced that his spirit is sporting a Canucks jersey. The Bieksa of old left no doubt in fans' minds.

Then remain unconvinced. You have a very immature view of the roles of a hockey player. I don't believe you understand hockey well enough to comment intelligently, at least seemingly. Bieksa would have rocked Slegr as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcUiFhXnEzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFnVafjWcJ4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWEx7YsfMaU&feature=related

:lol:

:sadno:Bieksa wasn't pn the ice with Ballard....hmmm...now let's see, who was? Oh that's right...it was Rome. When the chance was there, Rome didn't answer the bell. When was the last time that Bieksa didn't go after a guy on the ice that took a run at our guys while he was on the ice? That's right, there hasn't been an occasion, and therefore no occasion of reason for Juice to drop the gloves.

Zero emotion? That's laughable. You're a funny guy. You amuse me....well, hyperbolic guy for sure....lol....zero emotion.

And the leader of the team isn't going to go head hunting after the fact. Plus you'd b**** and complain that he took a penalty after the play or the next shift and his job is to play defense and not go after guys. Man...you're really getting into Hank&Dan territory now.

Just the fact that you're questioning his toughness and using scrum pushing matches as an observation towards that point just shows me that you're grapsing for an argument here. You don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to Bieksa's toughness, grit and reputation in the lockerroom as a guy that stands up for his mates, and around the league as a guy who'll drop them, if he sees the need.

You got nothing. 0 fights in 13 games? lol....well, if that's your credible and empirical evidence, you keep holding on tight to that one. The rest of us will just watch you with a sad look on our faces, to see the once sensible and sane person we know, reduced to "He haznt fawt in turteen gamez, Oh noes!" "He'z No tuff!"

Sad, my brother....just sad.

:sadno:

When was the last time Bieksa DID go after a guy on the ice? He sure hasnt since Dec 29th last year.

I am glad I amuse you, but your favorite word hyperbolic aside, what is your actual evidence of his emotion this season? Do you have any actual facts or even observations to back up the fact that you think it is a ridiculous suggestion by me or are you just content to stand on your belief that we should just take your word for it? At least I am not afraid to actually make an argument. You have no response to what I. That is what is sad.

I never said he wasnt tough or gritty. And I never said he did not have a reputation as a fighter. BUT.......Reputation without backing it up eventually becomes history.

Me personally, I dont care if he fights or not. You guys are the ones who are suggesting it is a big value to the team. I dont question that at all. I question how it can be such a big value when he doesnt even do it anymore though.

I have never complained about Bieksa taking a penalty, fighting or not, for sticking up for a teammate. Show me where I have said that, smart guy.

Don't lump me in with "all you guys", please. I have never said anyone is a useless fighter, nor have I said Bieksa is the "ONLY" fighter on our D.

Ballard may have had his bell rung, but, unless the hit came on his last shift, he should have had an opportunity to get back at Richardson.

Rypien injured... Rypien suspended... Rypien not fighting... Rypien useless.

It shouldn't be up to Bieksa, a top 4 defender, to fight. He can fight, no doubt. But whom is more valuable to the team on the ice? Glass? Alberts? Desbiens? Or Bieksa? I, for one would rather have the latter on the ice.

Finally, i am not making excuses. I have no reason to make excuses for others. I am trying my best to supply you with my point of view on a touchy subject here in CDC-land.

Ballard left the game after that hit and didnt come back until a couple of games ago.

Then remain unconvinced. You have a very immature view of the roles of a hockey player. I don't believe you understand hockey well enough to comment intelligently, at least seemingly. Bieksa would have rocked Slegr as well.

Bahahahaha! He would have shot the puck into the crowd from the point first, though. Slegr was useless. His dad certainly didn't rub off on him too much! Bieksa would have wiped his ass with Slegr! lol

laugh.gif

My bad, wallstreet. I should probably call you an infantile name now, but I will refrain because you did!laugh.gif

Just the facts man. It was obvious you didnt know that so I saw no need to call you a name there. I rarely call anyone an infantile name on here, except the absolute stupidest, mind-bending posts sometimes test my resolve and I find myself typing before thinking..... ;)

I respect that you are just trying to provide an opinion that differs from mine and you have not ever insulted me, so you deserve the same courtesy.

When was the last time Bieksa DID go after a guy on the ice? He sure hasnt since Dec 29th last year.

I am glad I amuse you, but your favorite word hyperbolic aside, what is your actual evidence of his emotion this season? Do you have any actual facts or even observations to back up the fact that you think it is a ridiculous suggestion by me or are you just content to stand on your belief that we should just take your word for it? At least I am not afraid to actually make an argument. You have no response to what I. That is what is sad.

I never said he wasnt tough or gritty. And I never said he did not have a reputation as a fighter. BUT.......Reputation without backing it up eventually becomes history.

Me personally, I dont care if he fights or not. You guys are the ones who are suggesting it is a big value to the team. I dont question that at all. I question how it can be such a big value when he doesnt even do it anymore though.

I have never complained about Bieksa taking a penalty, fighting or not, for sticking up for a teammate. Show me where I have said that, smart guy.

When was the last time he needed to go after a guy this year and didn't?

Just because you're willing to argue anything and everything, doesn't make your arguments credible or sound. This is probably the most unsound argument without any sure footing that you've argued in a 168 pages. It's actually astounding that you feel like going down this road.

I don't have to provide any evidence, as you're the one who initally asserted that Bieksa plays with ZERO emotion. So the onus is on you to prove or validate that claim. Otherwise, I can assert anything I want and demand that you provide proof to the counter. Arguments don't work that way Wall Street. You assert, you back it up and then rebut the rebuttals.

So go on...you've asserted...now prove your claim.

And reputation doesn't require you to back it up 13 games into a new season, without a valid reason. 4 years of knocking the **** out of guys around the league is enough. He doesn't need to prove himself to anyone in this league....too bad, I can't say the same thing about this fan base.

Embarrassing.

I have no doubt Bieksa would rock Slegr in a fight. Believe me, I love when Bieska fights - it energizes the fans, and his teammates.

Don't be so quick to diss Slegr. He was a severely underrated Canuck... he won more championships than probably any current Canuck, and he was able to adapt his game - he never started as a fighter, but learned to fight to stick up for teammates. Bieksa has had to overcome some serious injuries, but he still needs to find his edge to be effective. He needs to take his angry pills, or he's going to continue to be discussed like this with fans who have come to expect more from him.

When was the last time he needed to go after a guy this year and didn't?

Just because you're willing to argue anything and everything, doesn't make your arguments credible or sound. This is probably the most unsound argument without any sure footing that you've argued in a 168 pages. It's actually astounding that you feel like going down this road.

I don't have to provide any evidence, as you're the one who initally asserted that Bieksa plays with ZERO emotion. So the onus is on you to prove or validate that claim. Otherwise, I can assert anything I want and demand that you provide proof to the counter. Arguments don't work that way Wall Street. You assert, you back it up and then rebut the rebuttals.

So go on...you've asserted...now prove your claim.

And reputation doesn't require you to back it up 13 games into a new season, without a valid reason. 4 years of knocking the **** out of guys around the league is enough. He doesn't need to prove himself to anyone in this league....too bad, I can't say the same thing about this fan base.

Embarrassing.

1. He doesnt fight anymore. And it is more than just this season. There were plenty of opportunities when the team was self-destructing in the playoffs he could have given our team a real boost when they needed it). Instead, he did nothing.

2. He doesnt engage with the other team after the whistle at all (which, by default, shows an emotional investment in the game). Instead, he just stands there or skates away, even when a guy bumps Luongo or roughs up another guy. No emotion. back in the day, he would have been the first in to at least facewash a guy.

I could go into all kinds of examples about his lazy plays defensively and his lack of keeping his mind in the game at critical points (both which show a lack of emotional involvement in the game to a certain degree), but the above, as it relates to Bieksa, really should be enough.

The OLD Bieksa played with emotion. The new one does not.

Case closed.

Just the facts man. It was obvious you didnt know that so I saw no need to call you a name there. I rarely call anyone an infantile name on here, except the absolute stupidest, mind-bending posts sometimes test my resolve and I find myself typing before thinking..... ;)

I respect that you are just trying to provide an opinion that differs from mine and you have not ever insulted me, so you deserve the same courtesy.

Rock on!

Bieksa 2nd star tomorrow night!wink.gif

He's gonna beat the crap out of... Scott Gomez. And he'll get 2 second assists on the power play after he shoots the puck off the wall in his own zone.biggrin.gif

I have no doubt Bieksa would rock Slegr in a fight. Believe me, I love when Bieska fights - it energizes the fans, and his teammates.

Don't be so quick to diss Slegr. He was a severely underrated Canuck... he won more championships than probably any current Canuck, and he was able to adapt his game - he never started as a fighter, but learned to fight to stick up for teammates. Bieksa has had to overcome some serious injuries, but he still needs to find his edge to be effective. He needs to take his angry pills, or he's going to continue to be discussed like this with fans who have come to expect more from him.

Bieksa doesn't need to take any angry pills or drop the gloves in order to satisfy any part-time emotional hockey fan, whether they be a fan of this team or in general. He doesn't fight for the fans...he fights for himself and his mates...and when the bell rings...he answers more consistently and full of more piss and vinegar than anyone on this team. He doesn't do the contrived quota fighting. He does the stick up for my mates kinda fighting. He could care less about discussion about his length of time between a fight. It would be ridiculous of him to anyways. He's not a goon...it's not his job to fight for the sake of fighting, or to cause momentum swings in the game as a result. He'll fight when the time comes and he's good and ready. Till then, I urge everyone else to get out there and have a fight themselves and report back here.

Remember:

First rule....you don't talk about this to anyone!

Second rule....you don't talk to anyone about this.

Bieksa's job isn't to remind us that he's a fantastic fighter. His job is to be an effective defenceman. Why would you be depressed if he doesn't fight? That's the wierdest thing i've heard all day.

You and others are saying what a great intimidating presence and what a great fighter he is. You can't have it both ways. If he doesn't fight, his "talent" for it means nothing. Just as Dan Sedin is useless as a scorer if he never shoots. So quit bringing up his "toughness". He's an ineffective hitter. And now he doesn't fight (which is peculiar since he's in a contract year, I guess he still thinks he can fatten the offers by potting 40 points).

1. He doesnt fight anymore. And it is more than just this season. There were plenty of opportunities when the team was self-destructing in the playoffs he could have given our team a real boost when they needed it). Instead, he did nothing.

2. He doesnt engage with the other team after the whistle at all (which, by default, shows an emotional investment in the game). Instead, he just stands there or skates away, even when a guy bumps Luongo or roughs up another guy. No emotion. back in the day, he would have been the first in to at least facewash a guy.

I could go into all kinds of examples about his lazy plays defensively and his lack of keeping his mind in the game at critical points (both which show a lack of emotional involvement in the game to a certain degree), but the above, as it relates to Bieksa, really should be enough.

The OLD Bieksa played with emotion. The new one does not.

Case closed.

1) Saying he doesn't fight anymore is a gross misrepresentation. It would be "fairer" to say he hasn't fought yet. Cause I know how Fair & Balanced "Fox News" style you like to be. And, taking a major penalty in the playoffs to swing the momentum by a top 4 dman, would be about the most stupid decision he could make. What are you thinking by even suggesting that??? You want him to fight in the playoffs??

2) Uh, if you haven't noticed, for the last couple of years, the league has cracked down on after whistle skirmishes by handing out 2min penalties to players who do as you're suggesting. You want him to get taken out of the scrum and get assessed a penalty to put the team down a man on the PK? I don't know about his judgement but yours is on full tilt tonight, it seems. That's not called not having emotion, it's called not putting your team down a man, to satisfy your own inner emo kid.

You can call it whatever you want, though.

You're having a poor performance tonight....bad calls, bad plays....i'm tempted to bench you for the rest of the night.;)

As a leader on this team (after all, you guys all have a giant boner over him wearing the A), he should be in there first EVERY time. He is the only fighter wearing an A.

As an example, Ballard got rocked (resulting in a concussion) and no one, least of all Bieksa, stood up and sent a message to try to deter the other teams in this league. Show me another team other than Detroit who would not have responded to that happening? There arent any that I can think of. At the very least take a number and dish it back to them later in the game.

I havent even seen Bieksa push anybody in a scrum this season. Maybe he thinks he is too good or too valuable to fight anymore, who knows.

He hasnt been scoring goals or generating points, he isnt fighting at all, he hasnt stood up the way he used to, and he displays pretty much zero emotion in his game. What exactly is his value again? How many games will it take without any of the passionate physical play before people admit that he is not the same tough player that he used to be in the early years?

And for everyone saying there have not been any opportunities for him to fight or that it hasnt been necessary yet, do you even remember the old Bieksa? Would he have given a crap about that? No, because he did it based on emotion, not calculation, and it made him a better player and team guy back then. THAT is what made his fights inspiring to the team. They were random and they were for a reason. You may see him picking his spots and waiting for the stars to align before fighting as him maturing, but I see it as him being neutered.

We can agree to disagree.

Bieksa would have for all we know, but I guarantee Vigneault wouldn't have let him fight after Ballard left the game and that's the right call.

You and others are saying what a great intimidating presence and what a great fighter he is. You can't have it both ways. If he doesn't fight, his "talent" for it means nothing. Just as Dan Sedin is useless as a scorer if he never shoots. So quit bringing up his "toughness". He's an ineffective hitter. And now he doesn't fight (which is peculiar since he's in a contract year, I guess he still thinks he can fatten the offers by potting 40 points).

Sedin scoring and Bieksa fighting = apples and oranges.

Archived