The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

Bieksa does quite a few things better then Edler dude and brings more good to the table then given credit for by some.

Edler has a better shot, better reach and better size which all were given to him basically out of birth other then that he isn't much better at anything and worse at others to me its a saw off other then Edlers age.

If we could get lots in return for Edler which we could because he is young and has upside i would consider trading him because of the cap situation if i were MG.

I would rather trade Salo though if we could just because he is always hurt and won't be around much longer although he is far better then Edler for the team when he is healthy.

Let's see. Edler has a harder and more accurate shot (and apparently his shot was given to him at birth....WTF.... :blink: ). Edler hits more often and harder. Edler blocks more shots and is positionally better. Edler is a better skater who is also a better passer and TONS better on the PP. He is also better overall defensively than Bieksa is. He can get beat one on one (as does Bieksa) but Edler can also actually clear guys out from the crease and win battles along the boards.

What exactly does Bieksa do better? Fight? Okay, you got me there. Hold the line? Sure, unless a playoff game against Chicago is on the line.

Edler is also only 24 and still has a ton of potential.

If you would cap dump Edler over Bieksa, then you are not even worth talking to because you do not understand how difficult guys like Edler are to find. He will be our #1 guy for a lot of years.

Keep Bieksa over Salo or Edler? I'm sorry, but I don't think you will find much support there even from the most ardent Bieksa supporters. Edler is already much better than Bieksa and still has a lot of time to get even better. The ONLY reason anyone would take Bieksa over Salo is fear of Salo getting injured again. If you are talking both being healthy (which it looks like Salo will be shortly), there is no contest and even most Bieksa supporters would say so.

And Salo has a NTC.......you must be the only person left on CDC who does not realize this and does not remember MG explicitly saying he will not ask any player to waive a NTC.

Hypocrite! :P

If Edlers 3rd, Bieksa must be 5th or 6th....

On the Moose.

I'm not a bieksa homer I'm just not an idiot so no I'm not a hypocrite.

and yes Bieksa is 5th or 6th on the canucks and Edler is still 3rd at the most however we shouldn't count Salo since he hasn't played and we don't know if he will or how he will come back.

Let's see. Edler has a harder and more accurate shot (and apparently his shot was given to him at birth....WTF.... :blink: ). Edler hits more often and harder. Edler blocks more shots and is positionally better. Edler is a better skater who is also a better passer and TONS better on the PP. He is also better overall defensively than Bieksa is. He can get beat one on one (as does Bieksa) but Edler can also actually clear guys out from the crease and win battles along the boards.

What exactly does Bieksa do better? Fight? Okay, you got me there. Hold the line? Sure, unless a playoff game against Chicago is on the line.

If you would cap dump Edler over Bieksa, then you are not even worth talking to because you do not understand how difficult guys like Edler are to find. He will be our #1 guy for a lot of years.

Keep Bieksa over Salo or Edler? I'm sorry, but I don't think you will find much support there even from the most ardent Bieksa supporters. Edler is already much better than Bieksa and still has a lot of time to get even better. The ONLY reason anyone would take Bieksa over Salo is fear of Salo getting injured again. If you are talking both being healthy (which it looks like Salo will be shortly), there is no contest and even most Bieksa supporters would say so.

And Salo has a NTC.......you must be the only person left on CDC who does not realize this and does not remember MG explicitly saying he will not ask any player to waive a NTC.

I agree with the entire post, but the best part was the opener.....

Let's see. Edler has a harder and more accurate shot (and apparently his shot was given to him at birth....WTF.... :blink: )

I guess Bieksa was behind the door when the shots were being handed out. lol

The Canucks have the best PP in the league with Edler manning the point. Stop downplaying him to appease your man crush. Bieksa started the season on the first PP unit, he played himself onto the second unit and maybe now off the PP all together. Bieksa has 5 points this year. You have a great argument, Bieksa is so great that there must be a reason other than talent for other players success. You do realize Edler leads the nucks in TOI? There's a reason for it. Get a clue buddy.

Most of this post is actually correct. Edler has earned his spot. However, Bieksa was never on the first PP unit.

Stick to supporting your guy. Don't try to do that and slag someone else at the same time. Multitasking isn't your forte'.

1.Edler has a harder shot but it isn't going in the net often so not sure that it's that much better considering all the chances he gets to use it.

2.Edler blocks a few more shots but he also screens Luongo more often that causes goals against and has lots of pucks bouncing off him into our own net.

3.Bieksa is more aggressive hitting and Edler would be better if he wasn't such a pansy and scared to make someone mad or whatever he is worried about because he could sure do more then he does. Give Bieksa that size and he would put the opposition right through the boards.

4.Positionally better by a bit maybe because Bieksa can be overly aggressive but Edler gets caught out of position a fair amount also and Bieksa has been getting much better at this likely because healthy for a while meaning more mobile also.

5.Passing to me they are bothg good at Bieksa makes better short passes imo and more decisive where Edler has a slight edge with long passes although Edler isn't always great at it either icing the puck too much at times.

6.Edler clearing the crease? Well maybe a bit but for his size not enough this is where being a pansy gets in the way for him again.

7.Battles on the boards i think they have both been better this season then the past and imo a tie Edler seems to lose some battles because he is too slow.

8.Edler is younger but a lot of people don't know has only played about 25 games less so they both could get a lot better there is no guarantee that Edler will progress more then Bieksa + Bieksa has played more games not 100%

Bieksa is definitely tougher in many regards and this is a huge + to have a guy like Bieksa who keeps opponents in line and can also stick up for teammates like he does so well so they can play their game. In this regard he is huge to the teams success because guarenteed if he wasn't around our team would have it a lot tougher especially all of our soft players and Lou.

Edler not having any heart or showing any displeasure when the other team scores bothers me a lot the guy has no personality whatsoever. To me this is big in hockey to have the warrior mantality like guys like Kesler and Bieksa bring because sometimes it just comes down to who has more balls and the guts to succeed! we need guys like Bieksa who hate their opponent and want to win bad! I still believe a team needs the heart factor to win it all.

Bieksa i a lot better at pinching, he has done a great job at keeping pucks in and can join the rush a way better then Edler as well which has created a ton of scoring chances.

The only reason why i would trade Edler is because we would likely get a bit more for him because of the fact that he is young and i truly believe that when it comes down to it Bieksa brings as much to help the team as Edler does.

The bottom line is i really value what Bieksa and Edler both bring to the team. They both aren't perfect by any means but are valuable to the team and that's the only point i am trying to make.

The truth is Edler isn't the god like dmen he is claimed to be and Bieksa isn't anywhere close to being as bad as some claim him to be.

1.Edler has a harder shot but it isn't going in the net often so not sure that it's that much better considering all the chances he gets to use it.

2.Edler blocks a few more shots but he also screens Luongo more often that causes goals against and has lots of pucks bouncing off him into our own net.

3.Bieksa is more aggressive hitting and Edler would be better if he wasn't such a pansy and scared to make someone mad or whatever he is worried about because he could sure do more then he does. Give Bieksa that size and he would put the opposition right through the boards.

4.Positionally better by a bit maybe because Bieksa can be overly aggressive but Edler gets caught out of position a fair amount also and Bieksa has been getting much better at this likely because healthy for a while meaning more mobile also.

5.Passing to me they are bothg good at Bieksa makes better short passes imo and more decisive where Edler has a slight edge with long passes although Edler isn't always great at it either icing the puck too much at times.

6.Edler clearing the crease? Well maybe a bit but for his size not enough this is where being a pansy gets in the way for him again.

7.Battles on the boards i think they have both been better this season then the past and imo a tie Edler seems to lose some battles because he is too slow.

8.Edler is younger but a lot of people don't know has only played about 25 games less so they both could get a lot better there is no guarantee that Edler will progress more then Bieksa + Bieksa has played more games not 100%

Bieksa is definitely tougher in many regards and this is a huge + to have a guy like Bieksa who keeps opponents in line and can also stick up for teammates like he does so well so they can play their game. In this regard he is huge to the teams success because guarenteed if he wasn't around our team would have it a lot tougher especially all of our soft players and Lou.

Edler not having any heart or showing any displeasure when the other team scores bothers me a lot the guy has no personality whatsoever. To me this is big in hockey to have the warrior mantality like guys like Kesler and Bieksa bring because sometimes it just comes down to who has more balls and the guts to succeed! we need guys like Bieksa who hate their opponent and want to win bad! I still believe a team needs the heart factor to win it all.

Bieksa i a lot better at pinching, he has done a great job at keeping pucks in and can join the rush a way better then Edler as well which has created a ton of scoring chances.

The only reason why i would trade Edler is because we would likely get a bit more for him because of the fact that he is young and i truly believe that when it comes down to it Bieksa brings as much to help the team as Edler does.

The bottom line is i really value what Bieksa and Edler both bring to the team. They both aren't perfect by any means but are valuable to the team and that's the only point i am trying to make.

The truth is Edler isn't the god like dmen he is claimed to be and Bieksa isn't anywhere close to being as bad as some claim him to be.

1. Why not go back and see if there are a few point shots by Edler that have been tipped in. To say he is not getting the shots to the net in that case would be ridiculous.

2. Bieksa screens/falls on/pushes opposing players onto Luongo far more often than Edler does. bad argument there.

3. Bieksa may be more aggressive (which can also tend to put him out of position going for a hit), but Edler hits to hurt rather than glance off guys like Bieksa does. Sure, Edler is bigger, but not much can change that, so what ifs are useless.

4. What was your excuse for Bieksa being terrible positionally BEFORE he ever got injured? he is better defensively this year but is still not positionally great. He gets beat one on one just as much as Edler does. Also, Edler does not take a lot of bad penalties (holding, hooking, etc.) because he is out of position like Bieksa does.

5. Edler is a much better passer overall. And actually, Bieksa ices the puck a fair bit trying to pass out or he just flips the puck out and gives it to the other team rather than make a good first pass.

6. Don't confuse non-fighter with pansy. Edler is not a hothead like Bieksa and it actually serves him well most of the time. That doesn't mean he is a wimp though, it is just not his personality.

7. Bieksa gets pushed off the puck along the boards more than any other dman on this team other than maybe Ehrhoff.

8. Edler is 24, Bieksa is 29. Who cares how many games they have played? Just based on time alone, Edler has a ton more than Bieksa and is already better than him. Don't compare their potential based on games played. Edler has WAY more upside potential than Bieksa does and will progress a lot further than Bieksa will.

Bieksa is "tougher" if by tough you mean fighting. That is true. However, that is not the only measure of toughness for a hockey player. If you think Edler is a pansy because he doesn't fight, then really your understanding of hockey is pretty superficial. Protecting players and scrapping can just as easily be done by a minimum wage fighter. There is no need for the team to pay 3.75 million for an enforcer.

Your paragraph saying that Edler has no heart is total ignorance. This whole paragraph is just a glorified hatred for a European player and a "He's a good canadian kid" Don Cherry moment regarding Bieksa. Not much of that paragraph applies to anything related to hockey. Heart definitely matters, but your definition of who has heart and who doesn't is not based in reality. Do you think Edler likes losing? Or having goals scored against his team? I highly doubt it.

Your comment about having no personality is just ridiculous. Skill matters. Edler goes out and does his job with little fanfare but he is effective at doing it. This is a criticism against him?

As for your last few paragraphs, Edler brings a lot more than Bieksa does. Both are good dmen, I don't disagree. But Edler is much more important to this team now and in the future.

Bieksa does quite a few things better then Edler dude and brings more good to the table then given credit for by some.

Edler has a better shot, better reach and better size which all were given to him basically out of birth other then that he isn't much better at anything and worse at others to me its a saw off other then Edlers age.

If we could get lots in return for Edler which we could because he is young and has upside i would consider trading him because of the cap situation if i were MG.

I would rather trade Salo though if we could just because he is always hurt and won't be around much longer although he is far better then Edler for the team when he is healthy.

Trade Edler? :shock: Just to keep that loser Bieksa? :picard:

Kurtenblog had a great rundown of how Bieksa defended Stamkos on Purcell's goal Saturday:

In Kevin Bieksa's Defence, Steve Stamkos is Pretty Shifty

By Mike Halford Mon, Dec 13 2010 COMMENTS

Here is a frame-by-frame rundown of Kevin Bieksa defending Steve Stamkos on Saturday night. Specifically, Bieksa defending Stamkos on the play that led to Teddy Purcell's second-period goal.

SCENE 1: ALL SEEMS WELL

We begin with a relatively non-threatening scenario. Stamkos goes to collect the puck in the corner while Bieksa closes. Stamkos doesn't appear to have any teammates in particularly good shooting areas. And since that's not Dan Ellis in net, scoring from this angle would be extremely difficult.

SCENE 2: INTERESTING...

Bieksa appears to have turned the wrong way. Fortunately, he still holds a key advantage -- his body is between the puckholder and the net. Besides, it's not like he's going to take a dangerous, risky run at one of the league's most dynamic players. I mean, that would be crazy. He'll just contain him instead.

SCENE 3: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

This is the beginning of the end. Bieksa has abandoned all defensive positioning to give the Home Hardware sign a snow shower. To be fair, Home Hardware was kind of asking for it with those cutting board scissors commercials.

SCENE 4: WTF

Not only is Bieksa parallel to Stamkos now -- he's also got his back to him. I believe "parallel, back-to-front" is step six of the Electric Slide.

SCENE 5: COME ON, MAN

Bieksa is now stuck to the window like a suction-cup Garfield doll while Stamkos is free to do whatever he pleases, like look for Teddy Purcell.

SCENE 6: DENOUEMENT

Aaaaand...scene.

Link, with pics and video: http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/kurtenblog/archive/2010/12/13/in-kevin-bieksa-s-defence-steve-stamkos-is-pretty-shifty.aspx

PS. - Looove Kurtenblog.

I'm gonna suggest trading Ehrhoff and I know the Ehrhoff lovers Bieksa Haters are gonna go off, but please just read the post before you hit the reply button.

He seems like he would fetch more than Bieksa (maybe a 1st rounder instead of a 2nd rounder) and with Salo back it seems like Salo would be able to replace the things Ehrhoff provides (PP, passing) more than he'd be able to replace the things Bieksa provides (toughness, tenacity).

Add to that the fact that Ehrhoff would want like 5 mill/season in the future and we could probably keep Bieksa for like 2.75-3 I'd rather have Bieksa. We have enough puck moving defencemen who can skate like Ballard, Hamhuis, and Edler. I think Bieksa provides something Ehrhoff doesn't, but I don't think Ehrhoff provides anything that Ballard, Hamhuis or Edler and Salo combined can't replace.

Also, the extra 2 million to spend in the off-season would be handy for a few things:

- possible Torres Re-signing with a raise

- possible Glass Re-signing with a raise

- possible Tambellini Re-signing with a raise

- possible Salo re-signing (for cheap hometown discount, been playin here forever, injury proned taken into account)

- Hodgson's cap hit which will be more than whoever he is replacing (Torres, Hansen, Tambellini, etc.)

So there's a bunch of reasons why maybe keeping Bieksa instead of Ehrhoff wouldn't be a bad idea. I know people hate Bieksa on here, and love Ehrhoff, but consider all the things I mentioned and it might be better for the Canucks to keep Bieksa. Also, please know I am not saying that Bieksa is better than Ehrhoff and I don't even like him more, but I am posing an idea that may potentially be better for the Canucks - and isn't that what we all want?

The truth is the only thing about Bieksa that is tough is that he is tough to watch him, he is a horrible defender, and as far as your hollow assertions that Bieksa is aggressive, the 3 gif's below show a pansy in the crease afraid to take the man, he would rather fish for the puck. He not only screens Bobby Lou but he even scores on him. I defy you to find even one gif that shows Edler making gaffes as bad as Bieksa does regularly. The reality is that Bieksa will be moved and Edler will be a Canuck for a long time.

xyj6o73hcixztajm85n.gifbieksa.gif

9pvzg0.gif

The truth is the only thing about Bieksa that is tough is that he is tough to watch him, he is a horrible defender, and as far as your hollow assertions that Bieksa is aggressive, the 3 gif's below show a pansy in the crease afraid to take the man, he would rather fish for the puck. He not only screens Bobby Lou but he even scores on him. I defy you to find even one gif that shows Edler making gaffes as bad as Bieksa does regularly. The reality is that Bieksa will be moved and Edler will be a Canuck for a long time.

xyj6o73hcixztajm85n.gifbieksa.gif

9pvzg0.gif

Just when I thought you were starting to make sensible posts.....

I suppose things were getting a bit too civil around here. Thanks for being you, CANUCKELION.

It's no use showing this CC. That noted expert in analyzing what goes on in a hockey game, CANUCKELION has decreed that KB didn't land any punches in that scrap, except for one that connected with the back of Voros' helmet.

With those kind of observational skills, it's no wonder he's able to make so many logical, well thought out posts in this and other CDC threads.

His name is actually Darren he is 23, lives at home with his momma, unemployed loser, oh and has huge homosexual tendencies because he would prefer to talk about his hate for Bieksa in some kind of homo-erotic fashion rather than even try for the chicks that approached them at the pub.

Whatever he is and as wrong and irritating as he is this is uncalled for.

Archived