The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

Grabners speed really exposed Bieksa tonight. He skates backwards poorly for an NHL D man. He has been playing well but on a couple occations tonight he was burned.

So were Ballard and Hamhuis. Grabner's speed gave them all trouble. if his hands ever catch up to his feet he's going to give many d-men fits.

I don't suppose anyone would be able to post a vid or screen pic of the "handshake"?

Either I missed it or wasn't paying attention...but you'll have my unshakeable appreciation, if one is able to provide it.

BTW....where's Mr. 'lol'...now? Nothing left in the douchery bag of Bieksa critique?

I don't suppose anyone would be able to post a vid or screen pic of the "handshake"?

Either I missed it or wasn't paying attention...but you'll have my unshakeable appreciation, if one is able to provide it.

BTW....where's Mr. 'lol'...now? Nothing left in the douchery bag of Bieksa critique?

Probably off playing "Apologist hunter" for his Q-Box 490

Here you go. Handshake happens at the 5:08 mark.

So were Ballard and Hamhuis. Grabner's speed gave them all trouble. if his hands ever catch up to his feet he's going to give many d-men fits.

How about Alberts last night, one on one vs Stamkos TAVARES on a break and he easily angles him wide and no offensive play. Alberts can skate backwards better than BXa. lol

. Bieksa played like crap in Long Island, he iced the puck at least 3 times, took a bone headed penalty, the one where the islanders took their first lead and then put the puck in with a weak shot from the goal line.

Typical Bieksa he lights the fire and then pretends he's a hero for putting it out.

When's Salo going to be ready already. The sooner he's ready the sooner BXa will be gone.

How about Alberts last night, one on one vs Stamkos on a break and he easily angles him wide and no offensive play. Alberts can skate backwards better than BXa. lol

. Bieksa played like crap in Long Island, he iced the puck at least 3 times, took a bone headed penalty, the one where the islanders took their first lead and then put the puck in with a weak shot from the goal line.

Typical Bieksa he lights the fire and then pretends he's a hero for putting it out.

When's Salo going to be ready already. The sooner he's ready the sooner BXa will be gone.

Stamkos? Now you've really lost it.

OH NO NOT ICING?!?!

Scoring the game-tying goal and leading the game with 6 hits while not being on the ice for a goal against (and being on for 2 goals for, hence the +2 rating) definitely does not out-weigh that. Oh yeah, and first star of the game.

But wait, he ICED the puck!

How about Alberts last night, one on one vs Stamkos on a break and he easily angles him wide and no offensive play. Alberts can skate backwards better than BXa. lol

:shock:

That really is superhuman. On an off shift, he manages to high-tail it down to Florida, presumingly to a late-night Lightning team practice since they didn't play last night, and EASILY angle wide Stamkos on a one-on-one. Alberts for Norris!!!!

Because of course, let's forget that Bieksa's penalty was actually the tying Islanders goal (Tavares, if we really want to get factual) that made it 2-2, and that on the goal that the Islanders DID take the lead, Bieksa was actually nowhere near the ice and it was at the fault of the 5 guys on the ice, including Alberts and Ballard, who were unable to escape the zone as the Isle were able to complete a full change in the offensive zone.

The fire was lit from the starting moments of the 2nd period and the Canucks just kept fanning it by playing sluggishly and lazily until Bieksa went practically end to end to spark what was probably one of the dullest performances from this team all season.

But hey here's a positive, you actually managed to spell out his full name 2/4 times. Brownie point!

Hate to break it to ya Canucklelion but:

Canucks cap crunch will likely bite Mikael Samuelsson or Raffi Torres

By Iain MacIntyre, Vancouver Sun columnist January 12, 2011 5:23 PM Comments (1)

VANCOUVER — Among third-line forwards Raffi Torres and Mikael Samuelsson, only one made it to Vancouver Canucks practice Wednesday in Manhattan. Chances are only one will still be on the team if Sami Salo returns from injury.

The Canucks’ stunning 18-1-3 surge to the top of the National Hockey League during the last eight weeks has changed a lot of things, including the idea that Vancouver couldn’t risk losing both Kevin Bieksa and Christian Ehrhoff to unrestricted free agency this summer.

Now, with a Stanley Cup seeming more plausible for the franchise than any time since June of 1994 — the Canucks are back in New York to face the Rangers Thursday night — the team can’t afford to lose either defenceman before the playoffs.

So if Salo finally returns from his Achilles injury, be it this month or next, there’s a strong possibility Samuelsson will be the player jettisoned to make room under the salary cap for the Finnish defenceman. It could also be Torres, who missed practice Wednesday due to illness, as part of a combination of expendable depth players.

Neither Ehrhoff nor Bieksa is going anywhere.

“If Sami returns,” Canuck general manager Mike Gillis cautioned, confirming he has no plans to part with a key defenceman. “We have a lot of options, but they’re all based on Sami getting healthy. There’s an assumption out there that Sami’s going to be back soon and be 100 per cent, but we have to wait and see.”

Even before this run, the Canucks knew they were in their “window” for winning a Stanley Cup, as coach Alain Vigneault said in November: “I know you get a certain window as a coach to win, and I know I’m in that window. The core group has been with me five years. It’s our time.”

Between now and the playoffs, the Canucks need to do everything possible to get stronger. They can’t do that by trading Bieksa or Ehrhoff, unsigned beyond this season, even though that’s the easiest way financially and positionally to make room for Salo. Bieksa never would have made it to the regular season in Vancouver had Salo not ruptured his Achilles in July.

Given Bieksa’s salary ($3.75 million US), his contractual status, record of injury and inconsistent play the last couple of years, he was always the first option to go after Gillis added big-money defencemen Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhuis last summer.

Even when Salo went on the off-season long-term-injured list, Bieksa was supposed to get only a temporary reprieve. But the last two months have been probably his best as a professional, and the 28-year-old appears to have finally figured out how to play within himself and manage risk.

The Canucks are still trying to re-sign Ehrhoff, whose puck-carrying ability and offensive skills make him especially valuable. If you ranked all Canuck players by importance, regardless of position, salary or age, Ehrhoff and Bieksa would squeeze into the top 10.

Although they’re good players, the same can’t be said for Samuelsson or Torres. Each has struggled to score despite the Canucks’ hot streak and their salaries, especially Samuelsson’s $2.5 million, make them vulnerable. Torres makes $1 million.

Even if Salo returns, the Canucks want to keep both Andrew Alberts and Aaron Rome for defensive depth, which is why Gillis will almost certainly cleave salary from his bottom two forward lines to get Salo on the active roster and under the cap.

No one wants to trade Samuelsson, who won a Stanley Cup in Detroit, possesses excellent size and character and elevates at playoff time. He had 15 points in 12 playoffs games his first season with the Canucks. But right now, would you choose Samuelsson over Bieksa or Ehrhoff?

“Me? You can’t think about that,” Samuelsson said Saturday when asked about roster scenarios. “If it happens it happens; it’s like that for everybody. It’s a good problem to have. I don’t think they want to get rid of anybody.”

For all its offensive flare and scoring depth, Vancouver’s key is its defensive play. Captain Henrik Sedin has said numerous times if the Canucks take care of their zone, their skill will take care of the rest. Salo’s return would give the Canucks a blue-line makeup of: Hamhuis-Bieksa, Ehrhoff-Alex Edler, Ballard-Salo. Alberts and Rome would be important extras.

Management’s job is made easier by the Canucks’ ability to spend the savings they’ve accrued due to in-season long-term injuries to Alex Burrows, Alex Bolduc and Rick Rypien.

Although the Canucks have operated at the $59.4-million salary-cap ceiling, they don’t have to clear Salo’s full $3.5-million to get him on the roster. Gillis won’t say what the home-free figure is, but the website, capgeek.com, estimates the Canucks have to jettison about $1.8 million. One option the Canucks don’t have is to simply let Salo sit on the injured list until the playoffs. He has been fully skating and practising with the team for two weeks.

Vigneault suggested it might take the 36-year-old a month or longer to get game-ready.

The NHL, however, may not give the Canucks that much time. The league closely monitors injured lists to ensure teams don’t abuse them to stash players and circumvent the cap. The injury police routinely ask for documentation on injuries, and in extraordinary cases can even order an independent medical examination of a player.

Salo’s practice schedule won’t run indefinitely. Barring a setback, the Canucks have to make a decision.

“He’s probably our best defenceman,” winger Daniel Sedin said. “We’ll see what happens.”

imacintyre@vancouversun.com

On Twitter: Twitter.com/imacvansun

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Canucks+crunch+will+likely+bite+Mikael+Samuelsson+Raffi+Torres/4100148/story.html#ixzz1AsbnfRTW

Hate to break it to ya Canucklelion but:

Rats, I missed that article, I've been up to my eyeballs in work the last few days, still I'm thinking it's just the reporters speculation.

Samuelsson + Torres are big body forwards, that can play. I've got to believe their roles would be harder to replace with the current personnel than merely having Ballard or Salo take over Bxa's #4 role. And oh yeah, I'd take Samuelsson on the team over BXa all day long.

Wow...so Alberts was defending Stamkos one on one last night, AND he played against the Islanders???

Alberts surely must be the new Canucks superhero, since he can be at two places at once.....I can't wait to see what other super powers attributes Stan Lee assign Alberts. Omnipresence is impressive for a superhero.....wait....forgot simply being a superhero....Alberts is God!!

Canucklelion :

20090222154828.jpg

Henrik offered us three players he believes Vancouver can't win without.

"Tanner Glass, because the past couple of years teams have gone from having the heavyweight guys that fight to realizing that you need guys that can play hockey, and he's a guy that can fight, can score, can play (penalty kill) for us. He does it all for us," Henrik said. "I would also say Kevin Bieksa. He had a really good couple of first years and he's had some tough years with injury, but he's been really solid for us this year with the way he plays defensive and he chips in offensively.

lol towel.gif

Rats, I missed that article, I've been up to my eyeballs in work the last few days, still I'm thinking it's just the reporters speculation.

Samuelsson + Torres are big body forwards, that can play. I've got to believe their roles would be harder to replace with the current personnel than merely having Ballard or Salo take over Bxa's #4 role. And oh yeah, I'd take Samuelsson on the team over BXa all day long.

You would take Alberts over Bieksa :mellow:

There's simply no end to the many ways you can find to be wrong. lol

I'll 'fess up to being frustrated with Bieksa many times before, in fact, I think I stated earlier in this thread he should be the first traded. I have come around on that view somewhat. He has been very good this season. Yes, he still does some very odd things on the ice but he's much more consistent than he used to be. I think our D unit is a lot more solid than in the past and the pairings seem to have good chemistry. Hamhuis has been a great acquisition and he and Bieksa have been solid, don't underestimate how important it is to be settled and these two are a settled pairing right now. Along with Edler and Ehrhoff the top four looks really solid. I never thought I'd say that about a top four containing Bieksa. The Salo comeback poses a problem for the bean counters at the Canucks but I don't believe that Bieksa will be the one on the trade block should we need to shed salary and his form would suggest that's a good call. Hopefully he continues his play and plays within his limitations because he's much more effective when he's not trying the impossible. Credit where credit is due, BIeksa has been very good thus far.

I seriously want to but you a beer.

Mostly so I can look you in the eye and just ask if you're for real. I imagine you turning your head and blushing like a tween girl who has to choose between her vampire lover or the wolf she's supposed to be with. I just have this feeling that someone who can carry this schtick on for this long would be kind of fun to hang out with.

Then we can carry on with the night where I continue to buy beer and we talk about hockey.

Then at a certain point discuss something to do with Sharpshooters abs....butter....and buns.

Btw everything you said in that post was wrong.

Stamkos plays for Long Island??? When did you see this play?

Plenty of Canucks iced the puck as we were less than good in our end during the second and parts of the third. The dubious penalty for highsticking he took did lead to a PPG, but on the tying goal not the go ahead goal. Do you even really watch the games?

You are a clueless, moronic troll. Go back and enjoy your six-pack of Lucky.

Archived