The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

I don't know why past season stats are relevant when talking about Bieksa's defensive play. It isn't those seasons, its this season, and this season he is the team leader in +/-. Alot of people are saying Hamhuis is carrying him, yet he was a plus player without Hamhuis in the lineup AND is +19 compared to Hamhuis' +14. So you Bieksa haters can keep drinking your Hatorade, but until these stats change your argument is null. Please dont respond back with past season stats, thank you.

if Bieksa keeps playing this well, Im pretty sure Gillis will try to resign him somehow. Gritty character D men are tough to come by, and the Canucks blueline is lacking in toughness.

exactly, and anyone saying we should trade beiska is an idiot, he's definatly one of our top guys and as you said hoff, that grittyness that he has is hard to find and he's got alot of heart. Also I think there's a great chance he takes a bit of a hometown discount the guy has been living in vancouver for alot of years, has raised a family here now, part of hockey is having to pack up and move sure but if nucks are interested in him (which they will be) i'm sure he'll b ewilling to bend a bit in negotions himself.

I don't know why past season stats are relevant when talking about Bieksa's defensive play. It isn't those seasons, its this season, and this season he is the team leader in +/-. Alot of people are saying Hamhuis is carrying him, yet he was a plus player without Hamhuis in the lineup AND is +19 compared to Hamhuis' +14. So you Bieksa haters can keep drinking your Hatorade, but until these stats change your argument is null. Please dont respond back with past season stats, thank you.

Well said, bieska is the s(*& and anyone who thinks otherwise is a tool lol

Looking at a single season as a sample size is naive.

He's playing well now, lot's of players have great single seasons.

It has been 17 games in a row now since KB has had a minus game. He has only had 1 minus game in 25 games. I don't care how good Hamhuis is, hes not good enough to carry a supposedly HORRIBLE defensive player 25 games with only 1 minus game playing against the top lines every single night.

Yes but this logic can be used both ways too. Players can be one player one season and a totally different the next. They can evolve their game over a summer or totally diminish. When Bieksa first came into the league he wasn't thought to be an offensive player. His offensive breakout season caught everyone by surprise, but he was highly praised for his defensive play before the offensive burst. Since that season he broke out he has been plagued with injuries, and even though he was playing games between those two seasons he was not playing at 100%. A simple google search of the injuries he suffered would tell you that. He is finally starting too look like the Bieksa of old which earned him the current contract he is signed too.

I don't know why so many people on this forum think they are smarter than the Coach, the GM and players of the current #1 team in the NHL. If Bieksa was the liability people make him out to be, Gillis would of traded him. The coach had him out there with the most TOI tonight which obviously shows a lot of confidence in him. That could also be interpreted as AV has the most confidence in him than any other D-Man since he was played the most. Also our Captain, Henrik Sedin personally selected him to be an Assistant.

But i mean no biggie, thats just a Jack Adams Award winner, last years most productive player and arguably the best GM in the leagues positions on Bieksa....

Yeah I missed it, is that what he actually said though? haha.

LOL is that what he said? We need a clip of that, stat :emot-parrot:

Well, I was lip reading so he might have said "STFU you p*ssy, I'll take all three of you anytime" but I'm positive about "I'll take on all three of you, anytime" since it was an ultra close up.

It was Fehr, Laich and I think Johansen that were on the ice.

Canadian:

I will just combine all the replies into one thread again since there is quite a few going on.

There has been words all season about re-signing Ehrhoff, which is understandable as he is the star of our blue line with his career year last year, but that doesn't mean Bieksa is not under consideration by MG without noticeable chatter in the press. Common sense dictate there will be more teams interested in Ehrhoff than Bieksa, as the former is also a good puck mover which every team needs. With less team interested in his service than Ehrhoff, Bieksa is the easier to negotiated with, Bieksa is also more likely to take a discount for his service as he is home grown by the Canucks. In the open market, Ehrhoff is the one who can fetch more money, it would make sense for him to try that instead if the Canucks cannoot offer him a good package.

The players do not become free agents until July 1st, which means they can still be traded after a Stanley Cup win, say at the 2011 entry draft for picks and players, so all is not lost even if MG keeps then at the trade deadline. Who knows, maybe by then MG would have signed Ehrhoff and trade Bieksa for the 1st overall pick.

As a numbers guy, I know stats can be a bitch to work with and the numbers can be worked both ways. Show me one set from Bieksa and I can showed something else on the contrary. :) We can agreed on disagreement about what Bieksa's numbers means.

You see the article support your argument while I see it supports mine. Bieksa came back too early in the 07-08 as his service was badly needed by the team, this set his recovery time back and he spent all summer rehabbing. By the start of the season he is healthy but he is not quite up to game speed with so much time lost, he then suffer a couple more injuries and takes him out of rhythm again. Next season he has another career threatening skate cut, so we can safely assume his season is also a goner. This season is pretty much his first full season playing 100% without the distraction of injuries. And the result speaks for themselves as it does match up well with the year he was rewarded with his current contract.

His pairing with Mitchell as our top shutdown pairing works both ways. Since we can agreed on he was a reckless aggressive offensive defensemen and he'd probably thinks offense every second on ice, paired him up with the league's best shutdown guy in his mind probably means he has a green light to jump into play thinking Mitchell is going to bail him out night in night out. That would explain his performance. This year he is paired with Hamhuis, more a all-around 2 way defensemen, less reliable than Mitchell as a shutdown guy, which means he would need to work WITH Hamhuis instead of leaving him behind like he was with Mitchell. With his mindset changed he is quite a bit more effective and reliable. Hence the change in rating.

For whatever it's worth......Bieksa is #10 among all players in the NHL in the +/- statistical category.

I just thought it was a neat personal achievment for him.

I'm sure there'll be people who don't want to recognise this stat, now that Bieksa is among the league leaders in it....c'est la vie.

I love numbers as much as most people on the CDC do, but, Whoopsy is right. We can do the point / counter-point thing until we're blue in the face and the best we ever will get is an agree-to-disagree outcome based on past stats that mean nothing in the present or future... unless, of course, you are a UFA or you are eligible for arbitration.

We all spend too much time on what has happened in the past, too, methinks. I look at what Bieksa has done this year and what he will do in the future and compare that to all the proposals and ideas that are being thrown around. I then ask myself, "Why are we even thinking about moving this guy just to bring Sami Salo in to the line-up?"

Salo has done a big, fat nothing this year due to being injured again. Bieksa has had a career year... and quit saying he is just playing for a contract. Win Bieksa.

As for all of the proposals to keep Salo on our roster for the playoffs, I say again, for the umpteenth time, why dismantle the best team in the NHL for a washed-up, injury-prone, old, upcoming-UFA defenceman whose best days are clearly behind him?

How is Sami Salo going to improve this team? His booming shot on the power play? Meh. His incredible board play? Alberts can play pretty well along the boards and is bigger and tougher than Salo. His leadership and perseverance through all his injuries? He can be a cheerleader in the dressing room without stepping foot on the ice.

Sami Salo will not make the Canucks better when he is ready to play if we have to move a Bieksa, Raymond, Ehrhoff, Schneider or waive depth. I would rather have a healthy, focussed, younger Kevin Bieksa in the line-up than Salo at this point in his career any day!

It is time for Gillis to extend Bieksa and keep him as part of the talented core group we have signed long term so we can continue to make Cup runs for years to come, not just in 2010-11.

towel.gif2e6c8lc.png

I love numbers as much as most people on the CDC do, but, Whoopsy is right. We can do the point / counter-point thing until we're blue in the face and the best we ever will get is an agree-to-disagree outcome based on past stats that mean nothing in the present or future... unless, of course, you are a UFA or you are eligible for arbitration.

We all spend too much time on what has happened in the past, too, methinks. I look at what Bieksa has done this year and what he will do in the future and compare that to all the proposals and ideas that are being thrown around. I then ask myself, "Why are we even thinking about moving this guy just to bring Sami Salo in to the line-up?"

Salo has done a big, fat nothing this year due to being injured again. Bieksa has had a career year... and quit saying he is just playing for a contract. Win Bieksa.

As for all of the proposals to keep Salo on our roster for the playoffs, I say again, for the umpteenth time, why dismantle the best team in the NHL for a washed-up, injury-prone, old, upcoming-UFA defenceman whose best days are clearly behind him?

How is Sami Salo going to improve this team? His booming shot on the power play? Meh. His incredible board play? Alberts can play pretty well along the boards and is bigger and tougher than Salo. His leadership and perseverance through all his injuries? He can be a cheerleader in the dressing room without stepping foot on the ice.

Sami Salo will not make the Canucks better when he is ready to play if we have to move a Bieksa, Raymond, Ehrhoff, Schneider or waive depth. I would rather have a healthy, focussed, younger Kevin Bieksa in the line-up than Salo at this point in his career any day!

It is time for Gillis to extend Bieksa and keep him as part of the talented core group we have signed long term so we can continue to make Cup runs for years to come, not just in 2010-11.

towel.gif2e6c8lc.png

When the best Dman on the team, Salo, returns the only thing MG will be extending towards BXa is his leg, when he gives him the boot lol.

Here is a comment I agree with from Walter Sobchak in reply to the Kurtenblog Midseason award column.

The Kevin Bieksa Award for Stupidity. The winner of this award shows a special skill in being able to take a dumb, lazy penalty at key moments of the game. For example, its midway through the 3rd, the team is up by only one goal, and this player hooks, or holds, or grabs the stick, or mouths off to the ref, or <insert Bieksa-esque penatly here>.

I think we all know who this award has gone to since the 2005-06 season, and who is winning it this year. Sure, Shane O'Brien may have received honorable mention for this award a few times, but "Special Kev" has dominated this category.

http://communities.c...wards-show.aspx

Its just a matter of time til Bxa returns to his old, liability ridden self.

When the best Dman on the team, Salo, returns the only thing MG will be extending towards BXa is his leg, when he gives him the boot lol.

Here is a comment I agree with from Walter Sobchak in reply to the Kurtenblog Midseason award column.

Why can't you give him the credit he's earned?

Did Kevin murder your family or something?

a. There is no source as to Bieksa want to test the free agent market. On the contrary, it seems likely that he would want to resign here as the Canucks gives him the best chance to have a shot at the cup. From the Canucks' perspective, resigning Bieksa is easier than Ehrhoff, cheaper and less competition for their service. And given his strong play this year, and AV using him as the backbone of our defense, it would be a big mistake to trade him as it would weaken our cup run considerably.

b. About his rehab, what you don't buy doesn't mean it didn't happened. Go see Bieksa's wiki page and read note #31.

In case you didn't noticed, up until this year, Bieksa was known as the aggressive offensive defensemen, playing defense is not his 'duty'. In that context, he fits perfectly to his role, aggressive offensive defensemen, with the defensemen part only describing his position on the ice.

You want to take away this year's +19, how about taking away his -11 in 07-08 when he came back too early and play hurt? Take that out Bieksa is playing to a career +11, pretty good number for a aggressive offensive defensemen.

On the subject of giveaways, let me give you an example:

Duncan Keith.

10-11 45G 51GvA 1st in his team

09-10 82G 59GvA 1st in his team

08-09 77G 40GvA 2nd in his team

07-08 82G 41GvA 1st in his team

06-07 82G 43GvA 1st in his team

05-06 81G 58GvA 1st in his team

That's a whopping 292GvA in 449G, for an average of 0.65

Bieksa including this year's total is 221GvA in 328G for an average of 0.67, not much difference there, except Keith consistently leads the Hawks in GvA. So if you are trashing Bieksa's defensive ability for his giveaway stats, you need to trash Duncan Keith too.

Checkmate. Great point.

Right. When a player is having a good season, you should always assume that he'll never do it again.

BTW: If he's only going to have this one good season as you surmise, why would you care? He's only under contract for this season.

Who's Walter Sobchak? Some other idiot with an opinion, from what I can tell....

....and in response to your last sentence, I imagine you are fervently hoping this will come to pass. It would be your only chance at escaping a 300+ page essay on how many ways you can be wrong.

I wish they kept your old tallied plus minus around. :(

I was +76.. I think. Definitely in the 70's :D

I was about to break +250 :(

Archived