The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Khadr Sentenced To 40 Years By Military Tribunal

GarthButcher

All of you folks that claim what was done to Khadr was no big deal, I'd love to see you volunteer to 8 years in Gitmo, or Bagram, or any of these notorious locations. By all accounts (except for those from Dick Cheney and cretins of the like) people there have been tortured mercilessly.

Those of you that want to talk about terrorists, think about both sides of the coin. The US has killed more people in the last ten years (or more) than Iran, Hezbollah, the Taliban, AQ, Hamas, North Korea, and any other country you want to put on there combined.

So, when they're in the process of raiding and killing mercilessly in a foreign country, some poor kid got caught in the middle. Then they charge him with murder for it.

Can you imagine if there was a murder case for every time a US soldier threw a grenade? How about just a murder trial and decade long torture session without legal representation or due process for any soldier that killed outside of the boundaries of the "sanctioned" murder.

Stories come out on a daily basis about abuses of civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. But people in the US (and many in Canada it seems) don't seem to care about that.

It's just about "Rabble Rabble Terrorism Rabble Rabble".

Think of who you would be most terrified of: some dudes in a bunch of caves in the third poorest country in the world, or the country with the most advanced, well funded, sophisticated killing machine in the world. I know who would freak me out a little bit more.

Being that I have travelled and worked in Iraq plus other crapholes including Pakistan and others at the top of the failed state index I am infinitely more at risk from the dudes in caves etc than I am from the US military or US citizens.

Please provides stats on the death rates you so thoughtfully brought into this conversation.

All of you folks that claim what was done to Khadr was no big deal, I'd love to see you volunteer to 8 years in Gitmo, or Bagram, or any of these notorious locations. By all accounts (except for those from Dick Cheney and cretins of the like) people there have been tortured mercilessly.

Those of you that want to talk about terrorists, think about both sides of the coin. The US has killed more people in the last ten years (or more) than Iran, Hezbollah, the Taliban, AQ, Hamas, North Korea, and any other country you want to put on there combined.

So, when they're in the process of raiding and killing mercilessly in a foreign country, some poor kid got caught in the middle. Then they charge him with murder for it.

Can you imagine if there was a murder case for every time a US soldier threw a grenade? How about just a murder trial and decade long torture session without legal representation or due process for any soldier that killed outside of the boundaries of the "sanctioned" murder.

Stories come out on a daily basis about abuses of civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. But people in the US (and many in Canada it seems) don't seem to care about that.

Think of who you would be most terrified of: some dudes in a bunch of caves in the third poorest country in the world, or the country with the most advanced, well funded, sophisticated killing machine in the world. I know who would freak me out a little bit more.

Being that I have travelled and worked in Iraq plus other crapholes including Pakistan and others at the top of the failed state index I am infinitely more at risk from the dudes in caves etc than I am from the US military or US citizens.

Please provides stats on the death rates you so thoughtfully brought into this conversation.

You said the US has killed more people than NK, Iran etc plus any other country [anyone] cares to put I there.

I asked for statistics.

Of course that impossible as statistics coming from said countries are non existent.

As for supporting the treatment of Khadr no I don't. Not sure where you got that from. An no I don't drink Kool Aid but nice try.

How about the latest report from the documents leaked that sights 15,000 extra civilians killed in Iraq who were previously unreported. There's a convenient lack of statistics being provided through official channels about civilian deaths. Some put that number around 1 million between Iraq and Afghanistan - deaths as a result of the invasions and occupations.

It's amazing that anyone could hear about tens of thousands of civilians murdered without blinking an eye, but when a 15 year old is charged with murder for allegedly responding to the attack by an organization that routinely kills thousands of civilians they are placated by the use of the term terrorist.

Mmmm, that kool-aid must taste so yummy!

We might have been able to stop it, but the states could have said "nope, we're keeping him" though they didn't to others. But who knows?

It should be noted that at the time a majority of people in Canada supported letting the states keep him, probably due to to the less than sympathetic comments of mom and sis.

As such, the government went with the will of the people, not the courts. That will has been shifted now and as such you can rejoice that a majority now supports bring him "home".

But it's too late now. It already happened.

What do you want to do about it?

Had we pressured them to return 'our' citizen back to us...they would have been obliged to. They needed us, a hell of a lot more in 2002 than we needed the. Our involvement in the war provided legitimacy and it still does. And we could have easily made a fuss of the fact that they three months before, committed fratricide, on four of our brave young men. Had we kicked up a fuss, they would have been all to eager to placate us. So yeah, I know.

No, the majority didn't support keeping him....the majority supported the war effort in Afghanistan and they also supported helping our friends and neighbour to the south, after getting attacked. Show me where, the majority of the population supported the torture and illegal detention of Omar Khadr.

This had nothing to do with the will of the people....what people were storming Parliament, forcing the gov't to keep Khadr in Guntanamo. That's just a false assertion and a stupid one at that. If anything the courts had nothing to do with it at the time either, and stepped in only after the issue was brought up to foce the gov't to protect Khadr's rights and investigate and work on his behalf...which they failed to do miserably.

It's too late now, because too many like minded such as yoursel, in gov't, decided to pick and choose which Canadians to fight for. Maybe they were looking at residency or skin colour before birth certificate. But who knows? You liked using that question, so I thought i'd ask a similar one too. Did I do it right?

What I would like, personally, is for the gov't to immediately and without delay, reassert their jurisdition and support for its citizen and have him brought back to Canada, promptly. I would like to see a psychological assessment and treatment done, most likely through a short term hospitalization procedure, to also assess his physical well being. I would like to see his family have the oppurtunity to see their brother and son. I would like to see constant and credible attempts by our gov't to reintegrate and redoctrinate Khadr into a form of 'normalcy' and 'normal' life. I would like to see the gov't give this kid every help and assistance to become educated...and pay for all of it as well. I would like to see him recieve compensation as a pittance of a gesture to the treatment he has endured because of our gov't's inaction and ambivalence towards him and his plight. I would like to see all politicians, who circumvented the Charter, International Conventions, and World recognised Human Rights, and did not afford Omar his protections under these treaties and laws, on trial themselves. I would like to see a special prosecutor and investigation, with full access and authority to this case.

That's what I'd like to see done now, Ron.

This kid's been conciously forced through the ringer, even after hving charges dismissed. Reminds me of the movie 'The Hurricane', a bit.

You can desire all you want...till your head pops off, for all i care....I see the Charter, justice and the Canadian court system on his side....and that trumps your desire, as mighty as it may be.

Archived