The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Khadr Sentenced To 40 Years By Military Tribunal

GarthButcher

You know what I find funny (ha ha) is that those who mock other's who seek the protection of their rights under our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, will often be the first among the 'brave', 'free' and 'patriotic' to cry foul and wrap themselves in the Charter's protective blanket at the first sight of their own perceived oppression.

It never ceases to amaze me...the disconnect and hypocrisy.

One thing that is forgotten here is that this murderer would not be alive today if it were not for the swift actions of his victim's buddies. They came to his aid and saved his life as their friend, his victim, bled out in front of them. By legal right, they could have 'taken care of him' right them and there, but they didn't. I assume they were ordered to capture as many AQ as they could, for the LOAC allowed them to engage their threat until it was dead.

He is a killer, a terrorist, and sadly, a Canadian. He's one lucky SOB.

Yes. The Law of Armed Conflict (which includes the GC) does not distinguish legal target from illegal one based on age. If you think about it it makes sense. If someone is shooting at you (or in the case of this POS, throwing a grenade), he is still a threat and you have the legal right to eliminate that threat.

Wow, I don't know if the praise I gave for some of the level headed balanced opinions set off some warning bells for some users on here to rain down the close minded, laughable posts.

This poor guy has been tortured for eight years, and people are blaming him for it? That's truly sad!

The interview his mom and sis did with CBC had them in Burkas talking about how they were proud of him and that he was a freedom fighter. While in politics, these are legitimate opinions, in the post 9-11 climate, they alienated most Canadians. Certainly horrible optics for the government to step in and defend at the time.

Still, this is no reason to abandon our principles as a country and remain the only western nation to leave a (under aged) citizen in Gitmo for almost a decade.

As for having a government that respects international norms and values, it's true that you want a government that will stand up for what's unpopular...when it's right. Mocking the UN, working against climate change legislation, protection criminal acts on the part of states from being prosecuted, removing aid to developing nations, being an accessory to torture then cancelling parliament to not have to admit to it, increasing criminalization of minor offendors, building more prisons, attempting to reverse harm prevention strategies (and the list goes on), are not the values that most Canadians stand for.

I would love to see a majority of people here get thrown in jail without a trial or representation as a minor, be tortured for years and then forced to confess in a kangaroo court just to get transfered to a different prison, only to have people in your home country accuse you of treason and the like without a trial.

This guy is a victim, and is a black mark on all the values we should hold as sacred in Canada.

Do you think the grenade that killed Speers was a pokemon grenade? Child soldier or not, the kid just killed a Special Forces soldier and was preparing to carry on the fight when he got shot. He was a threat, age be damned, and he could have legally, ethically, and morally been killed. There is not a court in the world that would bat an eyelash at it.

Perhaps you can assist me in, in the case of this "POS", to show that he undoubedtly and actually threw a grenade.

Let me start with this...then you can respond about this "POS", and let me know if you're going to continue eating and regurgitating whatever horse**** the U.S. military and media continue to feed you.

Wow, I don't know if the praise I gave for some of the level headed balanced opinions set off some warning bells for some users on here to rain down the close minded, laughable posts.

This poor guy has been tortured for eight years, and people are blaming him for it? That's truly sad!

The interview his mom and sis did with CBC had them in Burkas talking about how they were proud of him and that he was a freedom fighter. While in politics, these are legitimate opinions, in the post 9-11 climate, they alienated most Canadians. Certainly horrible optics for the government to step in and defend at the time.

Still, this is no reason to abandon our principles as a country and remain the only western nation to leave a (under aged) citizen in Gitmo for almost a decade.

As for having a government that respects international norms and values, it's true that you want a government that will stand up for what's unpopular...when it's right. Mocking the UN, working against climate change legislation, protection criminal acts on the part of states from being prosecuted, removing aid to developing nations, being an accessory to torture then cancelling parliament to not have to admit to it, increasing criminalization of minor offendors, building more prisons, attempting to reverse harm prevention strategies (and the list goes on), are not the values that most Canadians stand for.

I would love to see a majority of people here get thrown in jail without a trial or representation as a minor, be tortured for years and then forced to confess in a kangaroo court just to get transfered to a different prison, only to have people in your home country accuse you of treason and the like without a trial.

This guy is a victim, and is a black mark on all the values we should hold as sacred in Canada.

If they are engaged in combat with us or our allies I would rather they just get shot during the battle. It would save a lot on court cases.

He is a victim of an increadibly bad upbringing but the main culprit already got shot. There's still time to deport the rest of the treasonous family.

I won't even get into the irony of calling someone who calls Omar a "freedom fighter" as having a legit political opinion, but people that don't agree with that are "close minded" with "laughable" opinions. The smug superiority is more than enough amusement in itself.

The only issue this article casts doubt on is whether he threw the grenade. Two things that cannot be questioned is where he was (in Afghanistan) and what he was doing (fighting with AQ against Canadian and US troops in contravention of the GC and the LOAC). THAT is what makes him a POS.

You are looking at this from a civilian law perspective. What you don't realize is that in a military operation, the civilian law is irrelevant to the legitimacy of the target. He was a soldier (child or not) actively engaged in (illegal) combat with a force that was acting within Int'l Law. He was a legit target.

I personally don't care who threw the grenade. I thought the trial was bs. He should have been either killed on the battlefield or dealt with as a War Criminal (which he also was, btw).

One thing that is forgotten here is that this murderer would not be alive today if it were not for the swift actions of his victim's buddies. They came to his aid and saved his life as their friend, his victim, bled out in front of them. By legal right, they could have 'taken care of him' right them and there, but they didn't. I assume they were ordered to capture as many AQ as they could, for the LOAC allowed them to engage their threat until it was dead.

He is a killer, a terrorist, and sadly, a Canadian. He's one lucky SOB.

So would it fair to say that a rational and logical person such as yourself could have a 'doubt' about whether or not he threw a grenade, after saying that kid this killed a special forces soldier? Is it remotely possible that he did in fact not, throw the grenade while hiding out in a house filled with women and other children and some men?

The same factual evidence that goes against him throwing a grenade at U.S. soldiers, is from the same 'machine' that brought forth evidence about his 'training' and his 'al-queda' linkage and 'soldiering'. Do you believe everything the U.S. government and military tell you, is the gospel truth?

What's more likely, this was a battle hardened 15 year old Al Queda operative, or that the U.S. military fracked up, one of it's many fracked up and then covered up 'special forces' operations in a civilian area, and decided to hide, falsify, lose, destroy, create, evidence to support their claims? On a balance of probabilities, and with a past track record to guide your opinion, what do you honestly, through a bit of soul searching, really think could be more likely?

Given that poor old Omar is most certainly an enemy combatant, and was at the time a couple years in age from being clearly guilty of TREASON (seems odd that young offenders act works for people that have been living in Afganistan for five years at a terrorist camp, but whatever), this is definately the test to see just how far people will go to ensure it's followed. You should be delighted.

With any luck he won't use his freedom, years of anger, and terrorist training to negative effect in what will be very much a new country for him.

Do you think the grenade that killed Speers was a pokemon grenade? Child soldier or not, the kid just killed a Special Forces soldier and was preparing to carry on the fight when he got shot. He was a threat, age be damned, and he could have legally, ethically, and morally been killed. There is not a court in the world that would bat an eyelash at it.

Wet (or anyone): what did the US do to Khadr that amounts to torture? I have read that he was sleep deprived only. This WOULD be uncomfortable and not a lot of fun, but by any definiton I have read is not considered torture (heck, I am subjected to it on military exercises).

Was he tortured?

So, if I understand this (and I haven't read what you referred to so I'll take it at face value), that Khadr was shot, and he was then uncovered and then captured.

That's fine with me. Like I said, I think the murder trial was a farce. He should have been tried as a war criminal only for his violations of the LOAC. I couldn't care less about the murder rap.

Archived