150 replies to this topic

#1 tutti

tutti

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

i want in on this job, but i haven't herd anything about them hiring next.

anyone knows anything about the next hiring? i will camp outside the union hall just to get an application lol

for those who don't know, longshoreman is probably one of the best paying jobs in BC and doesn't require any other schooling other then completion of grade 12 to get in.

Edited by tutti, 29 September 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#2 RW98

RW98

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

Keep checking there website.
Xbox 360 Prestige Worldwide GM - Vancouver Canucks Posted Image

#3 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,173 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

I once had a paper application offered to me for $6,000
Apparently that easiest way to get in.

#4 tutti

tutti

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

Keep checking there website.

well no sh!t sherlock! :mellow:

i've been checking for 2 years and no changes!

Edited by tutti, 27 October 2010 - 12:03 PM.

#5 Seņor Santos

Seņor Santos

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Don't hold your breath. Think about it: a job that requires no real skills to start and it pays way beyond its market value for that type of labor. Everyone wants that job, go buy a lottery ticket while you're at it.

Edited by Seņor Santos, 27 October 2010 - 12:42 PM.

#6 c0medyClub

c0medyClub

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

I know of someone that does that.

What is it exactly? How well does it pay?
Posted Image
credit to CaptainUnderpants!

Posted Image

LED ZEPPELIN IS GROSSLY OVERRATED

#7 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

I know of someone that does that.

What is it exactly? How well does it pay?

Basically loading and unloading cargo off ships.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#8 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

Are you related to a longshoreman? If no then your screwed.

The union is as hard core a good ol' boys club as there is.

#9 Twas

Twas

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

I rarely ever post anymore but after reading this I thought I'd say something. Both my dad and his brother are longshoreman in Tsawwassen. They both get paid 100k+/year for honestly doing the easiest job in the world. Honest to god...I went to go visit my dad and theres all these guys eating timbits, laughing and having a good ol' time. Both just finished high school and got the job later on. They've been there 20+ years and the only way you're getting in is if you're related..or they all die.

Edited by Twas, 27 October 2010 - 03:41 PM.

Posted Image

#10 almo89

almo89

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

I rarely ever post anymore but after reading this I thought I'd say something. Both my dad and his brother are longshoreman in Tsawwassen. They both get paid 100k+/year for honestly doing the easiest job in the world. Honest to god...I went to go visit my dad and theres all these guys eating timbits, laughing and having a good ol' time. Both just finished high school and got the job later on. They've been there 20+ years and the only way you're getting in is if you're related..or they all die.

lol yep pretty much. I even heard that when you first start, you barely get any shifts and you are on like standby. What sucks about that is that it's hard to find a part time job cause you can be asked to come in at anytime, but they might only need you like 1 or 2 shifts a week. And how knows how long you have to be on standby before you get steady full time work. Don't even bother applying the "regular" way. See if you know anybody that works there. If not, look for a different career.

I had an acquaintance that worked as a longshoreman and he couldn't' get me in. So even if you know somebody, it's not a lock that ur in.

#11 Twas

Twas

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

lol yep pretty much. I even heard that when you first start, you barely get any shifts and you are on like standby. What sucks about that is that it's hard to find a part time job cause you can be asked to come in at anytime, but they might only need you like 1 or 2 shifts a week. And how knows how long you have to be on standby before you get steady full time work. Don't even bother applying the "regular" way. See if you know anybody that works there. If not, look for a different career.

I had an acquaintance that worked as a longshoreman and he couldn't' get me in. So even if you know somebody, it's not a lock that ur in.

and if you have been there for a long time like my dad or his brother, they get a TON of overtime which is paying them ridiculous amounts. Negative thing like you said is that my dad sometimes is called in for the weirdest shifts like 9pm-4:30am or something.
Posted Image

#12 almo89

almo89

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

and if you have been there for a long time like my dad or his brother, they get a TON of overtime which is paying them ridiculous amounts. Negative thing like you said is that my dad sometimes is called in for the weirdest shifts like 9pm-4:30am or something.

Yeah, but it's not much of a sacrifice when they are making that type of money. I just think it's not worth the effort to try to get in when the window is so small. I've thought about applying to, but the window of opportunity is just too small. If I had the chance to do it now, of course I would take it, but I understand that the chance is really small so I rather look for other work or go in a different career path.

#13 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, but it's not much of a sacrifice when they are making that type of money. I just think it's not worth the effort to try to get in when the window is so small. I've thought about applying to, but the window of opportunity is just too small. If I had the chance to do it now, of course I would take it, but I understand that the chance is really small so I rather look for other work or go in a different career path.

You may think that, but as a person who does work night shifts I can tell you that they can be pretty rough on you long term.

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#14 c0medyClub

c0medyClub

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

You may think that, but as a person who does work night shifts I can tell you that they can be pretty rough on you long term.

I found the spare time you have after working at night seems so much shorter. That's what bothered me. Well, it wasn't during the night, but a kitchen from 5-12 or whatever. I'll take prep 7-3 or 8-4 over evening/nights anytime.
Posted Image
credit to CaptainUnderpants!

Posted Image

LED ZEPPELIN IS GROSSLY OVERRATED

#15 luongo_4_life

luongo_4_life

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

my dad is in there, and once you get into the union (10ish years) you get pretty much any shift you want. 4 out of the 6 days he works sometimes even all of them he only works a four hour shift and gets paid for the full eight hour, and plus you can take as long as time you want off when you want and nobody cares.

#16 almo89

almo89

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

Yeah I have done graveyard shifts before too and it's rough. Even though you are getting enough sleep hours wise, you still feel sluggish and unhealthy. I don't think longshoremans have to work long term graveyard shifts though. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's okay to do the odd graveyard shift do to shift needs, but I do agree that long term graveyard shift work is not fun at all. Especially in this field since it's physical labor.

#17 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

I'm going to start applying, just to lower your odds of getting the job. :D

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#18 tutti

tutti

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

i've been down to deltaport before and was allowed into the lunch room. i saw exactly what you saw, then i went with a foreman and he drove me around the inside of the ports. looks like a good job to me, my friend was also let off 4 hours early that day because there was no more work for him, but was paid for a full 8.

i wouldn't care especially when im making almost $300 or more a day lol

I'm going to start applying, just to lower your odds of getting the job. :D

cant really apply, you get in through a application system which they hand out in person once every a million years lol

#19 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

I know people ;)

I don't live in Vancouver, so I wouldn't get the job anyways. Although I could take the WCE train.

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#20 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

What's sad is the public just accepts this.

#21 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

I found the spare time you have after working at night seems so much shorter. That's what bothered me. Well, it wasn't during the night, but a kitchen from 5-12 or whatever. I'll take prep 7-3 or 8-4 over evening/nights anytime.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you make working in the kitchen these days?

#22 tutti

tutti

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

They have a lottery for it. A bunch of applicants are drawn at random. Thats the way its been for a while.

did you even read the topic? i already know how they do the selection process i just need to know when they are doing it. my friend says possibly next year but hes been saying that for the last couple of years.

#23 MegaNuck

MegaNuck

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

did you even read the topic? i already know how they do the selection process i just need to know when they are doing it. my friend says possibly next year but hes been saying that for the last couple of years.

So why not call them and ask?

Does CANUCKS.COM REALLY seem like the best place for advice about a longshore job?

Instead of being a clown, perhaps get off your unemployed ass and do some research.

Posted Image

"I can say and be whoever I want on the Internet because Anonymity is my guardian" -- Majority of CDC posters

#24 >you

>you

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

So why not call them and ask?

Does CANUCKS.COM REALLY seem like the best place for advice about a longshore job?

Instead of being a clown, perhaps get off your unemployed ass and do some research.

why research something when you can post a question and have someone else research it for you
Sig is a little inappropriate, please change it. - SN

#25 CIA

CIA

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

I know a couple of longshoreman. One got in because his dad is in the union. Another got in through the lottery thing back in '05. And my bro got in with help from a family friend who is in the union. Seems like they all make great money but i'd rather go to school, finish my degree and do something worthwhile.
Posted Image

#26 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

cant really apply, you get in through a application system which they hand out in person once every a million years lol

i lol'd

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#27 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

They have a lottery for it. A bunch of applicants are drawn at random. Thats the way its been for a while.

Yet everyone there seems to be working with dad. And this includes some people I know that just got in and aren't getting many shifts in that uber corrupt system.

I vote we fire them all and start fresh with people at half the salary.

#28 EasyCompany

EasyCompany

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:27 AM

so whats the deal with this job
how can you " apply " ?
is there a website or something i can go to and apply ?

#29 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:18 AM

What's sad is the public just accepts this.

I really wish somebody would make a TV documentary exposé on this to alert the public.

Any budding investigative journalists interested in taking up the idea?

Edited by Buggernut, 28 October 2010 - 04:19 AM.

#30 Lewah

Lewah

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:18 AM

Get ready to kill someone because that's the requirement for joining the H.A.
muskit blau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.