The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

any longshoreman here?

tutti

The thing about these kind of high paying low skill level jobs are that in a case of firing or major injury you are screwed. You only have HS education and the only experience you have is doing labour at a port/dock. AKA you have no job market.

I know atleast 15-20 people who work there

atleast 12 must be family including my dad, and the rest my dads close friends

Everyone of them are in the union except for 2 of them

What's sad is the public just accepts this.

Why? If their getting payed, nobody else should care.

It's the people paying who should care

They're union what can the people that own the port do.

The amount they get paid and yet they still want a bigger piece of the pie.

They routinely stop work and slow down unloading just to piss the owners off, a third of them come to work high or on alcohol because they can get away with it, some sabotage machines to get a longer coffee break. They're slowing down business for their own selfish interests,which ultimately leads to the cost of transport being so high that the price of the goods being shipped in for our own consumption goes up.

you think i haven't tried? im asking here because almost everyone who posts lives in the lower mainland and might know a thing or two. and who says im unemployed? im in my 3rd year as an electrical apprentice.

u mad you will never get this job?

laugh.giflaugh.gif I'm mad that I dont get this job? I couldnt care less actually. For a guy who is apparently older than 13, you really act childish.

I know a couple of longshoreman. One got in because his dad is in the union. Another got in through the lottery thing back in '05. And my bro got in with help from a family friend who is in the union. Seems like they all make great money but i'd rather go to school, finish my degree and do something worthwhile.

Is that the one where they "accidentally" gave out the wrong address to the general public and the correct address to the family and friends?

laugh.giflaugh.gif I'm mad that I dont get this job? I couldnt care less actually. For a guy who is apparently older than 13, you really act childish.

what was the purpose of you coming into this thread and flaming me? if you don't know **** about this job then leave.

and yes you are mad

Is that the one where they "accidentally" gave out the wrong address to the general public and the correct address to the family and friends?

lol is that what they said? i remember something about an "application"...i guess whoever got that, was able to get in. The union members were able to get a few so obviously they gave them to family/friends.

what was the purpose of you coming into this thread and flaming me? if you don't know **** about this job then leave.

and yes you are mad

actually little boy, I was curious about this. After having done some homework on it, it was pretty easy to find the information I was curious about.

I suggest doing the same thing. I'm not even remotely mad or irritated, it's funny how upset you get.

And btw, perhaps you should take your own advice if you dont know "crap" about this job. laugh.gif

My Dad's friend is a LS and about 8 years ago he told me to go down to this place in Surrey were they would be handing out applications. It was supposed to be 'hush-hush' but when I showed up it was a ******* 'gong-show', thousands of people and two different locations (one was a ruse). It was crazy.

Why? Well, costing the port authority costs the public money. Never mind that a high paying no skill job is only available to insiders sounds like the corrupt working of a third world country not Canada.

My Dad's friend is a LS and about 8 years ago he told me to go down to this place in Surrey were they would be handing out applications. It was supposed to be 'hush-hush' but when I showed up it was a ******* 'gong-show', thousands of people and two different locations (one was a ruse). It was crazy.

Go Corruption Go! No, seriously, ****!:angry:

actually little boy, I was curious about this. After having done some homework on it, it was pretty easy to find the information I was curious about.

I suggest doing the same thing. I'm not even remotely mad or irritated, it's funny how upset you get.

And btw, perhaps you should take your own advice if you dont know "crap" about this job. laugh.gif

what information? if you think your ever going to get in, you wont.

Archived