The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

any longshoreman here?

tutti

I love the longshoreman, really. God bless 'em. I don't understand why people feel that multinational corporations should be able to exploit people for as little as possible, to ensure that CEOs make more than 400 times as much as an average employee. Not only that, but they are so supportive of the CEO, but so against the employees who actually produce value.

Is everyone so convinced that they are someday going to be upper management? Why be so strongly against the interests of lower class people? Any savings from giving longshoremen lower wages will only go to CEO bonuses, not magically to your wages. Instead of demanding others be dragged down to your level, why not demand you be raised up to theirs? The gap between the rich and the poor is the largest since the Great Depression, and yet people insist that the poor are the problem, stealing from the poor upper class. Stop fighting against your own interests!

I love the longshoreman, really. God bless 'em. I don't understand why people feel that multinational corporations should be able to exploit people for as little as possible, to ensure that CEOs make more than 400 times as much as an average employee. Not only that, but they are so supportive of the CEO, but so against the employees who actually produce value.

Is everyone so convinced that they are someday going to be upper management? Why be so strongly against the interests of lower class people? Any savings from giving longshoremen lower wages will only go to CEO bonuses, not magically to your wages. Instead of demanding others be dragged down to your level, why not demand you be raised up to theirs? The gap between the rich and the poor is the largest since the Great Depression, and yet people insist that the poor are the problem, stealing from the poor upper class. Stop fighting against your own interests!

have you considered the possibility that the majority of the members of CDC are high rollin' CEOs?

the belief here it that a university degree should be worth $100K a year but its usually only good for $40K. Anything else should be 8 bucks an hour.

So how about these longshoremen think of the greater good of society and the true working class people (ie. those who do NOT make over $100K) and let the general public compete just as openly and on a level playing field for these high paying low skill positions with their own sons and daughters?

Nepotism = corruption, don't you think?

• 4 weeks later...

Just a update for anyone interested in this job:

Vancouver Port is expected to be hiring soon, Im hearing that the process isnt the same as before.

www.bcmeajobs.com <--- (Check this site daily)

BCMEA Jobs

BCMEA will shortly begin accepting applications for on call casual dispatch in the Vancouver area.

Note, all applications currently on file are no longer valid therefore anyone still interested in being

considered for waterfront work will need to reapply when the process is open. Please check this website

periodically for updates and schedules as information will only appear at this website.

Do not contact our offices as you will be directed back to this website.

Friend of mines dad has been in the union for nearly 30 years and his big brother for over 10 and he hasnt been able to get in yet. Granted hes only been trying since spring.

His brother said something interesting. hes ashamed to tell people hes a longshoreman. they all roll their eyes and ask why he isnt 100 pounds overweight. Might be better to just get ur electrician seal and have a job you can be proud of.

• 4 months later...

Friend of mines dad has been in the union for nearly 30 years and his big brother for over 10 and he hasnt been able to get in yet. Granted hes only been trying since spring.

His brother said something interesting. hes ashamed to tell people hes a longshoreman. they all roll their eyes and ask why he isnt 100 pounds overweight. Might be better to just get ur electrician seal and have a job you can be proud of.

CN RAIL is hiring.

www.cn.ca/en/careers-jobs.htm

Are you related to a longshoreman? If no then your screwed.

The union is as hard core a good ol' boys club as there is.

Once again you don't know what you talk about when it comes to unions.

The proper advice to give is to go to the hall and apply for casual call in. There by getting you seniority and training and a better chance to get the foot in the door.

Most of the longshore workers I know didn't just walk into a fulltime job.

Yet everyone there seems to be working with dad. And this includes some people I know that just got in and aren't getting many shifts in that uber corrupt system.

I vote we fire them all and start fresh with people at half the salary.

I vote we fire all civil engineers because they make way more than civil technologists and a tech can pretty much do the same job anyway.

Just need 1 P.Eng to stamp stuff.

Once again you don't know what you talk about when it comes to unions.

The proper advice to give is to go to the hall and apply for casual call in. There by getting you seniority and training and a better chance to get the foot in the door.

Most of the longshore workers I know didn't just walk into a fulltime job.

Why is everyone that works there related then?

You don't think there's a lot of bypassing the line going on there? Maybe, just maybe, there's some corruption in this area?

I vote we fire all civil engineers because they make way more than civil technologists and a tech can pretty much do the same job anyway.

Just need 1 P.Eng to stamp stuff.

Nope. I wouldn't even say it has much effect on career options.

Also that would be a bad business decision since it would also significantly lower the companies income. If it WAS a good business decision it would have already happened.....

But nice try.

• 6 months later...

I heard there hiring soon. Anyone heard anything about that or have any info.

my dad works there and I think he said they will be taking more people soon, but the thing is they only give applications to union members (1 each) who can give it to anyone the want, so unless you know a member it will be hard to get one

as a side note I don't see longshoremen lasting for too much longer with all this new technology coming in like theres a port in germany were 1 person runs it by himself!

Archived