The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

any longshoreman here?

tutti

Jobs only good when the economy is good like somebody said get your electrical ticket youll make far more than 100,000 a year

Really? I have my Plumbing ticket and if you work normal 40 hour weeks there is no way your going to make over 100,000 a year. Maybe if you do a bunch of side jobs for people for cash or something. Or go to northern alberta working crazy OT

Really? I have my Plumbing ticket and if you work normal 40 hour weeks there is no way your going to make over 100,000 a year. Maybe if you do a bunch of side jobs for people for cash or something. Or go to northern alberta working crazy OT

You can make more than a 100,000 a year working in northern Alberta with just 60 hours a week

You can make more than a 100,000 a year working in northern Alberta with just 60 hours a week

Just? You work, go to sleep, work and spend your time in some sh*t hole that has snow 6 months a year. Would really enjoy that 100 grand.

I'm considering getting my Electrical, how long you been doing it and what does the salary look like if you don't mind me asking?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering getting my Electrical, how long you been doing it and what does the salary look like if you don't mind me asking?

I have been doing it for 4 years. Started when i was 18 right out of highschool. Union rate is i believe 33$ an hr right now. Basically 2100$ every 2 weeks (40 hr weeks) after taxes and etc are taken off.

This was actually a really interesting + informative thread. I'm impressed it went this way when the OP seemed to be borderline trolling. Anyhow although I don't think I'd ever really try to get into it as a profession, I have a big attraction to the Port. One of my favorite things to do in the spring when the weather is just getting nice, is to bike down to the Port and sit and watch them unloading the cargo. Calming in some weird way. Then afterwards stop by the local pub down on Powell St. where the longshoremen drink. I've found them to be amazingly outgoing and friendly to total strangers. In fact I recently took a girl there on a first date, worried that she might hate it, but we wound up spending 5 hours drinking beers and chatting with a bunch of drunken longshoremen.

And on the topic of working graveyards - I worked them for a year after high school, over a decade ago, and my body still hasn't fully recovered. It threw off so many little bodily rhythms, and I'm a natural insomniac / night crawler. I really don't recommend it to anyone. I think I read something, a study, a year or two ago, and they estimated that only about 2 or 3 % of humans are able to work night shifts without it affecting them in any way.

• 1 year later...

Necro post but I was wondering if any forum user's are members of the port, what is the outlook on new hiring?

Will they be hiring any time soon? Or are they fully stocked with non-union workers?

Dont count on it, like nux said, getting work if your lucky enough to get in, will be a challenge. Also as the port grows, they also are introducing jobs where they use more machines, less workers.

People that were hired 2 yrs ago are barely getting any work...find another gig unless you are hardcore connected .

A buddy of mine has been doing it for about a year now. He got in because someone in the union got him an aplication, and he won the lottery to try out for the job. Anyways, he gets about 1 or 2 shifts a month.

A buddy of mine has been doing it for about a year now. He got in because someone in the union got him an aplication, and he won the lottery to try out for the job. Anyways, he gets about 1 or 2 shifts a month.

Wow thats brutal, I couldn't imagine having a job where you get no work like that. I am guessing he has another job to survive but thats brutal!

Yeah I have done graveyard shifts before too and it's rough. Even though you are getting enough sleep hours wise, you still feel sluggish and unhealthy. I don't think longshoremans have to work long term graveyard shifts though. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's okay to do the odd graveyard shift do to shift needs, but I do agree that long term graveyard shift work is not fun at all. Especially in this field since it's physical labor.

Graveyards are brutal long term. Yea some graveyard jobs pay good (I get paid pretty damn good) but working 11:30pm-9am the last 15 months (worked other graveyards like 8/9pm starts before that) and it is a body and mind killer, even on your days off your body is sluggish and just doesn't feel right ever.

Longshoreman is a ridiculously hard job to get into, yes you reap the benefits and I don't want to say don't try for it but honestly look for other jobs in life that are easier to get into that may not pay nearly as much. Its like trying to win the lottery if you don't have an "in" for the company.

You have to have a second full time job if you want to be a longshoreman. I have a friend that got in about 7 years ago but he still has another job. I think he gets about 3 shifts a week now. It's good to just have it on the side until you move up but don't rely on it to be ur main source of income.

Archived