The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

any longshoreman here?

tutti

3 years since i made this thread lol

there was a hiring over a year ago, i didn't get selected for that. but from what i hear is that the new guys that got in are mainly union members son/daughters who think that calling daddy will save them from a foreman telling them to do something that they don't want to do. slowing down production down there, really.

many people who got in don't even go to the hall for dispatch. they are regularly short on people on many shifts. i expect another hiring in 1-2 years. i'll get in on that

Any update?

Any update?

Dude, the fact that you been trying to chase this dream for ages just goes to show how lazy or incompetent you're, you could have easily used those years to get a trade or some other type of skill...UNLESS you know someone that will just give you an application you will NOT get in, if you have 5000$ lying around you could buy one next time they hire.

Dude, the fact that you been trying to chase this dream for ages just goes to show how lazy or incompetent you're, you could have easily used those years to get a trade or some other type of skill...UNLESS you know someone that will just give you an application you will NOT get in, if you have 5000$ lying around you could buy one next time they hire.

Wasn't he also trying to get a job at some warehouse? Atlas something. I recommend he try being an HVAC or Heavy duty diesel mechanic. Those two jobs are the best trades imo. Decent pay and are in demand. Also the government is really trying to get more tradespeople by offering more grants and incentives.

Orrrr...

get with the times and go to Fort Mac like everybody else. Come on guys.

Actually. My bro is in there, got in about I think 2 years ago. He barely gets any shifts still, just moved up a board recently. He regrets not going to school and getting a trade done.

Wasn't he also trying to get a job at some warehouse? Atlas something. I recommend he try being an HVAC or Heavy duty diesel mechanic. Those two jobs are the best trades imo. Decent pay and are in demand. Also the government is really trying to get more tradespeople by offering more grants and incentives.

Yeah I think he was that guy's a douche

Orrrr...

get with the times and go to Fort Mac like everybody else. Come on guys.

A group of my friends work at Fort Mac. They work long hours like 12+ hr shifts in the bitter cold.. and have to sleep in the same cabins as smelly 40 year old men. They literally work out in the middle of nowhere and lets just say internet is their best friend.. if you know what I mean.

A group of my friends work at Fort Mac. They work long hours like 12+ hr shifts in the bitter cold.. and have to sleep in the same cabins as smelly 40 year old men. They literally work out in the middle of nowhere and lets just say internet is their best friend.. if you know what I mean.

They're also making retarded money.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a local 500 longshoreman on the T board and it is absolutely hilarious how many people on here that haven't a clue about this job have such negative comments and stereotypes towards longshore workers. Sure there are easier days but you bet your ass there are hard days, I'd like to see these fools hiding behind their computer screen talking shit lash bays on a container ship or shovel all fucking day at Neptune! As for the "uneducated" and whatever else you clowns are saying I'd like to inform you that there are lawyers, scientist, plenty of tradesmen, and many other EDUCATED people down there. So don't throw shade and shit you know nothing about! ILWU all the way baby.

I'm a local 500 longshoreman on the T board and it is absolutely hilarious how many people on here that haven't a clue about this job have such negative comments and stereotypes towards longshore workers. Sure there are easier days but you bet your ass there are hard days, I'd like to see these fools hiding behind their computer screen talking crap lash bays on a container ship or shovel all ???? day at Neptune! As for the "uneducated" and whatever else you clowns are saying I'd like to inform you that there are lawyers, scientist, plenty of tradesmen, and many other EDUCATED people down there. So don't throw shade and crap you know nothing about! ILWU all the way baby.

Well.. I didn't know you felt that way. Why create a username using your occupation? Are you sponsored by the company or something? Is this Dasani Drinker in disguise?

Also shouldn't you be classified as a longshorewomen...

Obviously the job is difficult nothing is easy in this world..

So if it was smelly 30 year old men it would different ? What ever floats your boat I guess lol

Well.. I didn't know you felt that way. Why create a username using your occupation? Are you sponsored by the company or something? Is this Dasani Drinker in disguise?

Also shouldn't you be classified as a longshorewomen...

Obviously the job is difficult nothing is easy in this world..

I put my occupation as my username because I am very proud of my job.

They are actually hiring soon, well giving out applications to union members to give to whoever they want to. Have a bunch of family that work there and apparantley applications are being sold/offered for $30,000 and over.

Sure it may be a hard job at first but after 5-8 years you move to a higher board but once then you can choose whatever job you want and trust me for the amount of work they do and how much they get paid is pretty nuts.

And there may be some educated members there but the vast majority are not educated and drugs/alchol problems are very prevalent. I don't have a problem with that just giving some perspective

• 3 weeks later...

i want in on this job, but i haven't herd anything about them hiring next.

anyone knows anything about the next hiring? i will camp outside the union hall just to get an application lol

for those who don't know, longshoreman is probably one of the best paying jobs in BC and doesn't require any other schooling other then completion of grade 12 to get in.

I have many clients who are, 3 are retiring before the end of 2014. Tough to slide in there. Nice perks.

They are actually hiring soon, well giving out applications to union members to give to whoever they want to. Have a bunch of family that work there and apparantley applications are being sold/offered for $30,000 and over.

Sure it may be a hard job at first but after 5-8 years you move to a higher board but once then you can choose whatever job you want and trust me for the amount of work they do and how much they get paid is pretty nuts.

And there may be some educated members there but the vast majority are not educated and drugs/alchol problems are very prevalent. I don't have a problem with that just giving some perspective

These guys love their poker games and are loose with their funds. I have taken many a vacation on the aggressiveness of Longshoremen poker players.

My dad's a foreman at Tsawwassen. He makes around 250k a year. He said it's super hard to get an application right now, his buddy just sold one for 7k. Great money if you can get in. He works 12am-7am, sleeps till 1:30pm then has the whole day to do whatever he wants.

Archived