The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

any longshoreman here?

tutti

My dad's a foreman at Tsawwassen. He makes around 250k a year. He said it's super hard to get an application right now, his buddy just sold one for 7k. Great money if you can get in. He works 12am-7am, sleeps till 1:30pm then has the whole day to do whatever he wants.

Yah it's super hard to get one lol, does your dad have any more friends selling theirs? I'm interested in wanting one let me know thanks.

Wasn't he also trying to get a job at some warehouse? Atlas something. I recommend he try being an HVAC or Heavy duty diesel mechanic. Those two jobs are the best trades imo. Decent pay and are in demand. Also the government is really trying to get more tradespeople by offering more grants and incentives.

I was in HVAC and i also know alot of people in HVAC and alot of those people worked for 3-6 months for free to get experience and that wasnt a co-op program.

A group of my friends work at Fort Mac. They work long hours like 12+ hr shifts in the bitter cold.. and have to sleep in the same cabins as smelly 40 year old men. They literally work out in the middle of nowhere and lets just say internet is their best friend.. if you know what I mean.

they got a raw deal camp is actually half decsent especially when you bring your xbox or ps with you and can workout play hockey or poker.

What, people will actually buy a job application? Is that even legal?

yeah lol

a couple of my friends parents do this work and they sell these things for several thousand. Its pretty crazy. Im pretty sure they said its not a sure thing either. Its just an application so there's no guarentee either. My friends dad said a person has a 1/5 chance. Dont know how true that is, but if you're not a skilled worker and school isn't for you, I can see why people feel its worth the gamble

The best idea would be to see where the hands go to unwind after a hard work day. Buy them a bunch of drinks, have a good time, and then mention you need a job.

Easy.

Also, keep options open. As one poster said 1/5 chance that means if you keep trying while doing other stuff you'll get in. Most likely you'll find something else along the way though.

actually this time around everyone who gets an application will be eventually hired just not right away. they are taking in everyone and then ranking them randomly. high ranking you start right away if you are on the bottom you won't start working until 7-10 years

• 8 months later...

Love the comments from people on here about Longeshore men/women. I started last May and finished the year off with 300 plus hours starting off on the R board which is lowest board. Little insight for all of you who aren't familiar with the process there are boards based off a seniority in the following order.

Union

A board

B board

C board

T board

OO board

R board

So if there are 300 jobs for the 8 am shift Union members pick the jobs they want and then the rest are delegated among the other boards. Only Union members get to choose their jobs with Local 500, Local 502, which is Deltaport and Fraser-Surrey, the 'A' boarders can choose their jobs.

Takes a lot of time and commitment to make your way up the boards but in 5 years when I am making more than people who went to school for 6 plus years I'll be laughing to the bank. Especially if I end up joining local 515 and making ridiculous amounts of cash!

There are physical requirements for becoming a longshoreman beyond just getting your application accepted. You have to get a Physical, unaided eyesight test, hearing test. Physical labor tests etc etc

So if you spent too much time hanging out by the wall of speakers at a Metallica concert you may have no chance of getting in.

Archived