The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

any longshoreman here?

tutti

I found the spare time you have after working at night seems so much shorter. That's what bothered me. Well, it wasn't during the night, but a kitchen from 5-12 or whatever. I'll take prep 7-3 or 8-4 over evening/nights anytime.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you make working in the kitchen these days?

They have a lottery for it. A bunch of applicants are drawn at random. Thats the way its been for a while.

did you even read the topic? i already know how they do the selection process i just need to know when they are doing it. my friend says possibly next year but hes been saying that for the last couple of years.

did you even read the topic? i already know how they do the selection process i just need to know when they are doing it. my friend says possibly next year but hes been saying that for the last couple of years.

So why not call them and ask?

Does CANUCKS.COM REALLY seem like the best place for advice about a longshore job?

Instead of being a clown, perhaps get off your unemployed ass and do some research.

Does CANUCKS.COM REALLY seem like the best place for advice about a longshore job?

Instead of being a clown, perhaps get off your unemployed ass and do some research.

why research something when you can post a question and have someone else research it for you

I know a couple of longshoreman. One got in because his dad is in the union. Another got in through the lottery thing back in '05. And my bro got in with help from a family friend who is in the union. Seems like they all make great money but i'd rather go to school, finish my degree and do something worthwhile.

They have a lottery for it. A bunch of applicants are drawn at random. Thats the way its been for a while.

Yet everyone there seems to be working with dad. And this includes some people I know that just got in and aren't getting many shifts in that uber corrupt system.

I vote we fire them all and start fresh with people at half the salary.

Are you really surprised? He's looking for a job where he does next to nothing but gets paid more than most people do.

Seems to fit the personality type just fine to me.

Still, its a pretty sweet gig, just hard for me to respect it.

What age are you, I know people who got in and they have kids and a family to support. And they have to let the job go just because they rarely get work when your on the bottom on seniority, It takes 3-4 years to move up into the position where you can get actually get semi-consistent work. Lots of the guys/gals that work there become drug addicts and gamblers, because they dont know how to handle the money, Ive actually had a foreman tell my friend he doesnt even trust the guys on the machines/mega dock-lifts because a lot of them are on 'blow' on the job.

Goto school and get something you can depend on because Im telling you right now, they did a draw in '06 and another in '08 I think, so with this economy and the fact they got people there waiting for work, its a VERY slim chance that there going to hiring more greens any time soon. (IMO atleast 4-6yr before the next one in Vanterm) Deltaport Im not sure about though.

you think i haven't tried? im asking here because almost everyone who posts lives in the lower mainland and might know a thing or two. and who says im unemployed? im in my 3rd year as an electrical apprentice.

u mad you will never get this job?

Face it buddy you're not getting in. Time to explore a different avenue

we'll just see about that;)

What age are you, I know people who got in and they have kids and a family to support. And they have to let the job go just because they rarely get work when your on the bottom on seniority, It takes 3-4 years to move up into the position where you can get actually get semi-consistent work. Lots of the guys/gals that work there become drug addicts and gamblers, because they dont know how to handle the money, Ive actually had a foreman tell my friend he doesnt even trust the guys on the machines/mega dock-lifts because a lot of them are on 'blow' on the job.

Goto school and get something you can depend on because Im telling you right now, they did a draw in '06 and another in '08 I think, so with this economy and the fact they got people there waiting for work, its a VERY slim chance that there going to hiring more greens any time soon. (IMO atleast 4-6yr before the next one in Vanterm) Deltaport Im not sure about though.

well i guess they didn't make a smart decision leaving this job. currently work at delta port is crazy and most shifts they call people from vancouver because they can't get enough people to work.

im in my 3rd year as an electrical apprentice so if i don't get into longshore which is a 1% chance then i can always come back to the company i currently work for.

well i guess they didn't make a smart decision leaving this job. currently work at delta port is crazy and most shifts they call people from vancouver because they can't get enough people to work.

im in my 3rd year as an electrical apprentice so if i don't get into longshore which is a 1% chance then i can always come back to the company i currently work for.

If you have access to info about Dport then you must know somebody who works there ect, they would be a lot more help than random people on CDC. If anyone will know before hand that there hiring or about to hire it'll be the guys in the union.

Archived