The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

any longshoreman here?

tutti

He doesn't. You can't really. You have to show up every day and just hang out in hopes they have work for you.

Oh wow show up every day. If it was on-call (like actually a call) it would be awful but bearable since you could work something else atleast.

Oh wow show up every day. If it was on-call (like actually a call) it would be awful but bearable since you could work something else atleast.

Ya Im pretty sure they have a dispatch, one in the morning for the AM shifts and one in the afternoon for the PM/Graveyard shifts....

You have to show up physically at the dispatch hall I believe its on Clark & Hastings, swipe your ID card, then you are listed as active for the dispatch period, the dispatch starts, the jobs go down seniority (highest seniority being union folk get first dibs at work) then it gets passed on down the list till every position is filled.

Any user's here members?

Ya Im pretty sure they have a dispatch, one in the morning for the AM shifts and one in the afternoon for the PM/Graveyard shifts....

You have to show up physically at the dispatch hall I believe its on Clark & Hastings, swipe your ID card, then you are listed as active for the dispatch period, the dispatch starts, the jobs go down seniority (highest seniority being union folk get first dibs at work) then it gets passed on down the list till every position is filled.

Any user's here members?

I was in the process until they had the union dispute, everyone got scrapped pretty much, such BS cause I lost 2 yrs pretty much relying on that job thinking it was going to be my career....My brothers been a Longshoreman for 9 yrs.pops was one his whole life..we are pretty well connected there so it prob won't be long until I'm back in there...I'm pretty happy with what I do now though, Plus don't want to wait 2 plus yrs to become a reg.

I was in the process until they had the union dispute, everyone got scrapped pretty much, such BS cause I lost 2 yrs pretty much relying on that job thinking it was going to be my career....My brothers been a Longshoreman for 9 yrs.pops was one his whole life..we are pretty well connected there so it prob won't be long until I'm back in there...I'm pretty happy with what I do now though, Plus don't want to wait 2 plus yrs to become a reg

Isn't corruption supposed to at least keep itself in the shadows instead of not really carrying who notices?

Isn't corruption supposed to at least keep itself in the shadows instead of not really carrying who notices?

Well connected as in we now quite a few members that are willing to give me an application as soon as they get one..nothing corrupted there.

Well connected as in we now quite a few members that are willing to give me an application as soon as they get one..nothing corrupted there

What? You think being in an old boys network due to your family that let's you get a coveted job while others have to play a lottery isn't corruption?

I guess when your that deep inside it's hard to recognize it for what it is.

I'm going to start applying, just to lower your odds of getting the job. biggrin.gif

You're a beauty.

Yet everyone there seems to be working with dad. And this includes some people I know that just got in and aren't getting many shifts in that uber corrupt system.

I vote we fire them all and start fresh with people at half the salary.

The lottery system died years ago. Nowadays, it's not about what you know, it's about who you know.

Yeah, he just hangs out there watching movies on his lap top, or plays board games with the others. He worked only

one day in november, and hasn't worked since. He's 35 and has a mortgage and his wife is picking up all the bills but they are running low on funds and he is probably going to have to quit.

It's probably a good job to get into if you're young and live at home, otherwise it's tough.

You're a beauty.

The lottery system died years ago. Nowadays, it's not about what you know, it's about who you know.

There's still a lotery, he had to go thru one a year ago. But it's still who you know on top of that. Sounds like people who work there can nominate people for jobs, so unless you know someone there too, you don't even get a shot at the lottery.

Yeah, he just hangs out there watching movies on his lap top, or plays board games with the others. He worked only

one day in november, and hasn't worked since. He's 35 and has a mortgage and his wife is picking up all the bills but they are running low on funds and he is probably going to hav to quit.

It's probably a good job to get into if you're young and live at home, otherwise it's tough.

I could not do that, I feel bad for him. One day in November is brutal. I live at home still and I honestly could not do that, even for the potential future rewards. That job would drive me insane.

There's still a lotery, he had to go thru one a year ago. But it's still who you know on top of that. Sounds like people who work there can nominate people for jobs, so unless you know someone there too, you don't even get a shot at the lottery.

Ya from the last time I tried applying, it works like this, the union members all get a "slip" that allows them to bring 1 person into the hiring process, the rest of the positions are filled via the lottery.

So If your in the union you can bring someone in, if your in the outside looking in you have to play the lotto.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3 years since i made this thread lol

What board are you?

I'm guessing that means no hiring anytime soon...

there was a hiring over a year ago, i didn't get selected for that. but from what i hear is that the new guys that got in are mainly union members son/daughters who think that calling daddy will save them from a foreman telling them to do something that they don't want to do. slowing down production down there, really.

many people who got in don't even go to the hall for dispatch. they are regularly short on people on many shifts. i expect another hiring in 1-2 years. i'll get in on that

Archived