The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two teenage boys used texting, online chats to plot brutal assault, murder of Kimberly Proctor

aGENT

No argument regarding your assertion in comparing the deterant capability over capital punishment, but still, there's no conclusive evidence that life imprisonment is an effective sentence that will deter or prevent others from commiting murders in the future, just because correlationally we see the murder rates receeding.

Social modifications and investment will however, in my opinion, be a more effective catalyst to significantly reducing the murder rate versus any sentencing guideline put forth by the Criminal Justice System.

If these kids were smart enough to plan this murder in the detail they did they are probably smart enough to know the consequences.

They would know that they are not adults under the Canadian justice system, and are protected by the Youth Offenders Act, or whatever it's called.

This is very disturbing. In some cases the criminal laws are not deterrents at all, the way I see it.

If these kids were smart enough to plan this murder in the detail they did they are probably smart enough to know the consequences.

They would know that they are not adults under the Canadian justice system, and are protected by the Youth Offenders Act, or whatever it's called.

This is very disturbing. In some cases the criminal laws are not deterrents at all, the way I see it.

Smart people don't murder others, or at least plan it out and confess to friends in public so they can be easily caught. These guys are screwed-up idiots.

People who commit crime tend to be stupid and don't think about the consequences of their actions. They're acting maliciously out of pure self-interest - satisfying some emotional, psychological, or monetary need without regard for others.

The real sources of crime are poverty, domestic abuse/poor parenting, and untreated mental illness.

Archived