The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two teenage boys used texting, online chats to plot brutal assault, murder of Kimberly Proctor

aGENT

A number of these were our own witnesses. It was like trying to prep a coconut to give testimony in some cases.

Or perhaps engineers are just preternaturally lazy? Time after time they were asked to read the various reports from the construction and aftermath of the collapse so they would be familiar with what went on. Invariably it was "oh well it was too much to read". Sound familiar?

Not really. I read a ton. Even the majority of your long legal spiels, links included. Can't speak for anyone else though.

It's probably not practical to expect the capacity to read long tedious analysis reports to be the same in just about anyone as it is in law.

Or maybe the way you talked to them was irritating and they didn't feel as motivated. Hard to read the minds of someone you had a convo with 15 years ago based on a limited description in a text based enviroment. A lot of engineers are stubborn (a concept I am sure you are aware of) and maybe you didn't rub on them the right way.

Either way I think it's a matter of a perception problem. You do have a nasty habit of assuming you can read others minds and then acting "according".

Smart people don't murder others, or at least plan it out and confess to friends in public so they can be easily caught. These guys are screwed-up idiots.

People who commit crime tend to be stupid and don't think about the consequences of their actions. They're acting maliciously out of pure self-interest - satisfying some emotional, psychological, or monetary need without regard for others.

The real sources of crime are poverty, domestic abuse/poor parenting, and untreated mental illness.

I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence.......if you can find a more intelligent guy than Ted Bundy, good on you. That said, these two are clearly not swimming in the deep end of the gene pool as far as intelligence goes.......bragging to people via text and chat is clearly a sign of stupidity.

Lawyer jokes - believe it or not lawyers love swapping these jokes with one another.

Q: What's the difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?

A: There are skid marks in front of the skunk.

Ignorance of the law excuses no man - from practicing it.

(There is a companion line to that one.)

Why do lawyers only practice? Do they never get good at it?

And... only a lawyer could write 500 pages and call it "a brief"

Q: What do you call 5000 dead lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A: A good start!

Q. What's brown and black and looks good on a lawyer?

A. A doberman.

Hear about the terrorist that hijacked a 747 full of lawyers?

He threatened to release one every hour if his demands weren't met.

Then we can go onto multiples:

Q: What is the definition of a shame (as in "that's a shame")?

A: When a bus load of lawyers goes off a cliff.

Q: What is the definition of a "crying shame"?

A: There was an empty seat.

And some more detailed stories:

A priest, scientist and a lawyer are shipwrecked and adrift without food or water in a small dinghy - no sail, no oars. They are about to give up hope when an island appears off the port side.

Unfortunately the dinghy is in a current and looks like it will pass by the island. The scientist jumps in the water and wraps the bow line around his waist and starts swimming toward the island. Suddenly a large shark appears the scientist barely makes it back into the boat. The three gaze morosely at the shark circling their dinghy until finally the lawyer jumps in the water, grabs the line and strikes out for shore. The priest begins to pray and wonder of wonders the lawyer manages to make it to the island with his two companions in tow.

The priest triumphantly turns to the scientist and says "See Doubting Thomas... the power of prayer."

The scientist laughs and says "Power of prayer - HAH! That was just professional courtesy."

Or how about the story of the generous lawyer?

A Generous Lawyer...

A local United Way office realized that the organization had never received a donation from the town's most successful lawyer. The person in charge of contributions called him to persuade him to contribute.

"Our research shows that out of a yearly income of at least $500,000, you give not a penny to charity. Wouldn't you like to give back to the community in some way?"

The lawyer mulled this over for a moment and replied, "First, did your research also show that my mother is dying after a long illness, and has medical bills that are several times her annual income?"

Embarrassed, the United Way rep mumbled, "Um ... no."

The lawyer interrupts, "or that my brother, a disabled veteran, is blind and confined to a wheelchair?"

The stricken United Way rep began to stammer out an apology, but was interrupted again.

"...or that my sister's husband died in a traffic accident," the lawyer's voice rising in indignation, "leaving her penniless with three children?!"

The humiliated United Way rep, completely beaten, said simply, "I had no idea..."

On a roll, the lawyer cut him off once again, "So if I don't give any money to them, why should I give any to you?"

A Wealthy Lawyer

A wealthy tax lawyer was riding home in his limousine when he saw two men along the highway median eating grass. Disturbed, he ordered his driver to pull over and he got out to investigate. He asked one man, "Why are you eating grass?"

"We do not have money for food," the poor man replied.

"Well, then, you must come with me to my house," the lawyer said.

"Sir, I have a wife and two children with me."

"Bring them along," the lawyer replied. Turning to the other poor man, he urged, "You come with us also."

The second man then, in a pitiful voice said, "Sir, I also have a wife and we have six children!"

"Bring them all as well," the lawyer answered.

They all piled the car, which was no easy task, even for a vehicle as large as the limousine. Once underway, one poor fellow turned to the lawyer and said, "Sir, you are too kind. Thank you for taking all of us with you."

The lawyer replied, "Glad to do it. You will love my place. The grass is almost a foot high."

And then because this is a hockey forum:

Two boys from Buffalo, NY are playing street hockey when one of the boys is attacked by a rabid pit bull. Thinking quickly, the other boy takes his hockey stick, wedges it down the dog's collar and twists, breaking the dog's neck.

A Buffalo News reporter hears about the incident and rushes over to interview the boy. "Young Sabres Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal," he starts writing in his notebook.

"But I'm not a Buffalo Sabres fan," the young hero replies.

"Sorry," replied the reporter, "since we're in Buffalo, I just assumed you were." "Bills Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack," the reporter continues in his notebook.

"But I'm not a Buffalo Bills fan, either," the boy responds.

"I just thought everyone in Buffalo was either a Sabres or a Bill's fan," replied the reporter, "Whom do you root for?"

"I'm a Toronto Maple Leaf fan," the boy answers proudly.

The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Little Canadian Loving Hooligan Kills Beloved Family Pet."

• 2 weeks later...

As much as part of me would love to see these two roast in a chair, "eye for an eye" is not the answer. We need to be better as a society than these monsters, not stoop to their level.

I wish we could ensure they stayed locked up for life though. Being under 18 I think the most they can get is 25 years if they aren't paroled earlier for the murder. Hopefully the charges for sexual assault and forcible confinement tack on some extra time. Otherwise If I'm wrong and there's in fact a hell, I hope they burn in it.

Lawyer jokes - believe it or not lawyers love swapping these jokes with one another.

Q: What's the difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?

A: There are skid marks in front of the skunk.

Ignorance of the law excuses no man - from practicing it.

(There is a companion line to that one.)

Why do lawyers only practice? Do they never get good at it?

And... only a lawyer could write 500 pages and call it "a brief"

Q: What do you call 5000 dead lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A: A good start!

Q. What's brown and black and looks good on a lawyer?

A. A doberman.

Hear about the terrorist that hijacked a 747 full of lawyers?

He threatened to release one every hour if his demands weren't met.

Then we can go onto multiples:

Q: What is the definition of a shame (as in "that's a shame")?

A: When a bus load of lawyers goes off a cliff.

Q: What is the definition of a "crying shame"?

A: There was an empty seat.

And some more detailed stories:

A priest, scientist and a lawyer are shipwrecked and adrift without food or water in a small dinghy - no sail, no oars. They are about to give up hope when an island appears off the port side.

Unfortunately the dinghy is in a current and looks like it will pass by the island. The scientist jumps in the water and wraps the bow line around his waist and starts swimming toward the island. Suddenly a large shark appears the scientist barely makes it back into the boat. The three gaze morosely at the shark circling their dinghy until finally the lawyer jumps in the water, grabs the line and strikes out for shore. The priest begins to pray and wonder of wonders the lawyer manages to make it to the island with his two companions in tow.

The priest triumphantly turns to the scientist and says "See Doubting Thomas... the power of prayer."

The scientist laughs and says "Power of prayer - HAH! That was just professional courtesy."

Or how about the story of the generous lawyer?

A Generous Lawyer...

A local United Way office realized that the organization had never received a donation from the town's most successful lawyer. The person in charge of contributions called him to persuade him to contribute.

"Our research shows that out of a yearly income of at least $500,000, you give not a penny to charity. Wouldn't you like to give back to the community in some way?"

The lawyer mulled this over for a moment and replied, "First, did your research also show that my mother is dying after a long illness, and has medical bills that are several times her annual income?"

Embarrassed, the United Way rep mumbled, "Um ... no."

The lawyer interrupts, "or that my brother, a disabled veteran, is blind and confined to a wheelchair?"

The stricken United Way rep began to stammer out an apology, but was interrupted again.

"...or that my sister's husband died in a traffic accident," the lawyer's voice rising in indignation, "leaving her penniless with three children?!"

The humiliated United Way rep, completely beaten, said simply, "I had no idea..."

On a roll, the lawyer cut him off once again, "So if I don't give any money to them, why should I give any to you?"

A Wealthy Lawyer

A wealthy tax lawyer was riding home in his limousine when he saw two men along the highway median eating grass. Disturbed, he ordered his driver to pull over and he got out to investigate. He asked one man, "Why are you eating grass?"

"We do not have money for food," the poor man replied.

"Well, then, you must come with me to my house," the lawyer said.

"Sir, I have a wife and two children with me."

"Bring them along," the lawyer replied. Turning to the other poor man, he urged, "You come with us also."

The second man then, in a pitiful voice said, "Sir, I also have a wife and we have six children!"

"Bring them all as well," the lawyer answered.

They all piled the car, which was no easy task, even for a vehicle as large as the limousine. Once underway, one poor fellow turned to the lawyer and said, "Sir, you are too kind. Thank you for taking all of us with you."

The lawyer replied, "Glad to do it. You will love my place. The grass is almost a foot high."

And then because this is a hockey forum:

Two boys from Buffalo, NY are playing street hockey when one of the boys is attacked by a rabid pit bull. Thinking quickly, the other boy takes his hockey stick, wedges it down the dog's collar and twists, breaking the dog's neck.

A Buffalo News reporter hears about the incident and rushes over to interview the boy. "Young Sabres Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal," he starts writing in his notebook.

"But I'm not a Buffalo Sabres fan," the young hero replies.

"Sorry," replied the reporter, "since we're in Buffalo, I just assumed you were." "Bills Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack," the reporter continues in his notebook.

"But I'm not a Buffalo Bills fan, either," the boy responds.

"I just thought everyone in Buffalo was either a Sabres or a Bill's fan," replied the reporter, "Whom do you root for?"

"I'm a Toronto Maple Leaf fan," the boy answers proudly.

The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Little Canadian Loving Hooligan Kills Beloved Family Pet."

Archived