The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mats Frøshaug Talk

Ilya Mikheyev

Frøsh has put up 39 points in 34 games so far this season in the Norwegian league. I'm thinking if he has any interest in coming to North America, it would be next season, since he seems to have reached the top for the level he is at.

Although, he may prefer to play at home, or may be thinking about going back to playing in the SEL if he wants a bigger challenge.

I believe he had a serious illness at some point that nearly caused him to quit hockey. Don't quote me on it, but coming back from that kind of injury/illness and having a large improvement while putting on around 20 lbs. is quite impressive. I would be interested to see if he would come over to Chicago or Kalamazoo. He's a big man and is known as one of the Norway league's better two-way centremen.

Edit: Just did some research and that illness was actually an epilepsy-like disease that caused him to miss nearly two seasons. Wow.. and to think that he's playing so strongly now..

I believe he had a serious illness at some point that nearly caused him to quit hockey. Don't quote me on it, but coming back from that kind of injury/illness and having a large improvement while putting on around 20 lbs. is quite impressive. I would be interested to see if he would come over to Chicago or Kalamazoo. He's a big man and is known as one of the Norway league's better two-way centremen.

Edit: Just did some research and that illness was actually an epilepsy-like disease that caused him to miss nearly two seasons. Wow.. and to think that he's playing so strongly now..

• 1 month later...

Mats Froshaug scored 26 goals and 27 assists (tied for 3rd-highest on the team), and was +26 in 43 games during the regular season. He has scored 3 goals and 2 assists in 4 playoff games so far (tied for 2nd in points on his team), and has advanced to the semi-finals of the playoffs in the Norwegian league.

I haven't been able to observe Mats beyond statistics, but I hope that he continues to add to his impressive point total.

Mats Froshaug scored 26 goals and 27 assists (tied for 3rd-highest on the team), and was +26 in 43 games during the regular season. He has scored 3 goals and 2 assists in 4 playoff games so far (tied for 2nd in points on his team), and has advanced to the semi-finals of the playoffs in the Norwegian league.

I haven't been able to observe Mats beyond statistics, but I hope that he continues to add to his impressive point total.

• 3 weeks later...

Lørenskog IK has advanced to the championship final of the Norewgian League and will play Stavanger in a best-of-seven series.

Mats has scored 5G and 3A in 10 games so far (4th in points on the team), and has a +10 rating (2nd on the team).

I hope Mats can adapt his skills and experience to the NA game.

Happy for him that he's experiencing some success in Norway. Could be one of those forgotten prospects that comes over to this side of the pond out of the blue and impresses. He was a late rounder in Gillis' first draft as GM in 2008. Seems like so long ago now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived