Gameplay trailer added above.

UPDATE 2
(Jan 21):

Game Informers posted two wallpers for Skyrim:

UPDATE 1 (Jan 7):

February Game Informer magazine's featured cover:

Spoiler

Source: http://www.gameinfor...s-v-skyrim.aspx

Also scans from the magazine can be found in the link below.

Spoiler

Source: http://www.thenexusf...kyrim-gi-scans/

Edited by Hat Trick Maker, 26 October 2011 - 01:34 AM.

#2 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

DAMNNNN I CAN'T WAIT. I heard it was going to be in Skyrim. I hope that the crappy book Infernal City is not official canon. That idiot Greg Keyes screwed up the entire Elder Scrolls world.
Posted Image

#3 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

:bigblush:

Set for November 11th, 2011?

Edited by Pure Pwnage, 11 December 2010 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image

#4 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,423 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Game "sounds" awesome. Trailer didn't show too much. :P

Posted Image
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

#5 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

I really like the background choir. Awesome music.

#6 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

I really like the background choir. Awesome music.

I bet you it is Jeremy Soule again. That guy is a genius. He did the music for Morrowind, Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Guild Wars, etc.
Posted Image

#7 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Nords, Nords AND MORE NORDS! dsahbajnds yes!

Posted Image

#8 Metalcore1487

Metalcore1487

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

YEEEEEEEEEEES!

#9 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:30 PM

DAMNNNN I CAN'T WAIT. I heard it was going to be in Skyrim. I hope that the crappy book Infernal City is not official canon. That idiot Greg Keyes screwed up the entire Elder Scrolls world.

I hope they release an anthology or something that contains all the in-game books, manuscripts and what have you. There are just way too many of them in the game for me to read on the monitor.

I bet you it is Jeremy Soule again. That guy is a genius. He did the music for Morrowind, Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Guild Wars, etc.

But I never heard any Latin lyrics from his music before, assuming it's Latin. That's why I'm kind of excited.

#10 Fubar212

Fubar212

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

I don't want to wait 11 months for this, it has been to long since oblivion came out.

#11 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

I don't want to wait 11 months for this, it has been to long since oblivion came out.

The wait for Elder Scrolls IV was excruciating. I was checking the official website several times every day.

When it finally came out, it was a letdown. They took steps forward in terms of artificial intelligence, physics, combat system, and graphics. However, I felt it lost a step in things such as the bartering system and the world didn't seem as expansive as Morrowind or Daggerfall. Having cities in a different cell also didn't feel very open like in Morrowind. Mournhold was kind of a crappy city to be in, they should have learned from that when making the Imperial City.

What I am glad is that Todd Howard actually reads the Elder Scrolls forums and takes ideas from players.
Posted Image

#12 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

Why is it being released on Remembrance Day?

Perhaps an allegory to a war storyline of some sort. Then again 11 11 11 is a sweet number combo.

Edited by Men In Trees, 12 December 2010 - 01:41 AM.

Posted Image

#13 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

The wait for Elder Scrolls IV was excruciating. I was checking the official website several times every day.

When it finally came out, it was a letdown. They took steps forward in terms of artificial intelligence, physics, combat system, and graphics. However, I felt it lost a step in things such as the bartering system and the world didn't seem as expansive as Morrowind or Daggerfall. Having cities in a different cell also didn't feel very open like in Morrowind. Mournhold was kind of a crappy city to be in, they should have learned from that when making the Imperial City.

What I am glad is that Todd Howard actually reads the Elder Scrolls forums and takes ideas from players.

It's nearly impossible to make an expansive and deep game like Morrowind with Mass Effect graphics. One of the two has to suffer. Either you have a deep game with crappy graphics or a visually stunning game with a "shallow" feel like Oblivion or Fable. Especially if you want to port it to the Xbox and PS3. Daggerfall was such a bad game. Morrowind is definitely the clearcut "best" game of the series. If done right, Skyrim could surpass it. Because Nords are such Bad Apples

The one thing I hope they change is the "zonal" system. I thought it was perfect in Morrowind that some zones were meant for higher levels and vice versa. It made the whole griding to make a high level character worthwhile

I just hope it doesn't feel like an Expansion.

Edited by Walk The Dinosaur, 12 December 2010 - 01:50 AM.

Posted Image

#14 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

http://www.ology.com...-use-new-engine

fuuuu yes. No more having to deal with Gamebyro's shortcomings

Posted Image

#15 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

I found out about this yesterday.

So very, very stoked!

:frantic:

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

Found out about this a couple of days ago as well.

Boy am I excited.... The only thing that bothers me is the setting... Since its Skyrim are we gonna just see snow snow and more snow?
Posted Image

#17 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:14 AM

Boy am I excited.... The only thing that bothers me is the setting... Since its Skyrim are we gonna just see snow snow and more snow?

Posted Image

I don't think so.

Posted Image

#18 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Awesome!

I don't know...I liked Oblivion. I wasn't a big fan of Morrowind...I'm not sure I ever finished it (though, at the time I bought it and played it I was probably too young to appreciate it). I think the loading times in Oblivion were drastically reduced compared to Morrowind and that was a huge plus. The one thing I didn't like about Oblivion was that I found all those gates/portals to that other plane or whatever tedious and boring after a while so I'd avoid them if possible.

But games like Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas are great because they are so expansive and take a long time to play.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#19 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

I don't think so.

Posted Image

#20 Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Awesome!

I don't know...I liked Oblivion. I wasn't a big fan of Morrowind...I'm not sure I ever finished it (though, at the time I bought it and played it I was probably too young to appreciate it). I think the loading times in Oblivion were drastically reduced compared to Morrowind and that was a huge plus. The one thing I didn't like about Oblivion was that I found all those gates/portals to that other plane or whatever tedious and boring after a while so I'd avoid them if possible.

But games like Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas are great because they are so expansive and take a long time to play.

I didn't like Oblivion's scenery. Cyrodiil was supposed to be a dense jungle, they changed it for the worse in my opinion. The world was also half the size of Morrowind.

#21 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

I didn't like Oblivion's scenery. Cyrodiil was supposed to be a dense jungle, they changed it for the worse in my opinion. The world was also half the size of Morrowind.

Talos Stormcrown changed the climate to make it more hospitable. I enjoyed it because Jungles bore the heck out of me.

Cyrodiil's Landmass is actually 2 times the size of Morrowind(But nothing compares to Daggerfall). But Morrowind's dungeons were bigger. Not to mention in Oblivion there are no canyons or rivers that you have to walk around to get to the other side. Not to mention the travelling system in Morrowind was terribly flawed(I don't mean fast travel).

Oblivion's Map

Spoiler

Morrowind's Map

Spoiler

Posted Image

#22 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:34 AM

I think it really came down to either Skyrim or Summerset Isles. They have already had games based primarily in Daggerfall/Orsinium, Morrowind, and Cyrodiil. Orsinium is in Daggerfall. Oblivion was more about Cyrodiil than Oblivion but Oblivion sounds way better. There was also a spinoff in Hammerfell. It would have been been hard to make a game world out of Argonia, Elsweyr, or Valenwood because they are mostly forests and the three races are barely civilized.

From the trailer, it says the dragons fear someone named Dovakhiin. I am pretty sure that will be your character sort of like Nerevarine in Morrowind. I kind of prefer being a nobody who rises up and saves the world without any prophecy but I just forget about it.

I hope they release an anthology or something that contains all the in-game books, manuscripts and what have you. There are just way too many of them in the game for me to read on the monitor.

But I never heard any Latin lyrics from his music before, assuming it's Latin. That's why I'm kind of excited.

It was not an in game book. Some idiot named Greg Keyes wrote a fantasy novel based in the Elder Scrolls world. The book sucked but he was totally wrong on a lot of the canon and butchered the Elder Scrolls world. A lot of provinces succeeded from the Empire in his book and some warlord takes over the Imperial City and made himself emperor. I hope the game makers completely disregard the book and that it isn't official canon.

It's nearly impossible to make an expansive and deep game like Morrowind with Mass Effect graphics. One of the two has to suffer. Either you have a deep game with crappy graphics or a visually stunning game with a "shallow" feel like Oblivion or Fable. Especially if you want to port it to the Xbox and PS3. Daggerfall was such a bad game. Morrowind is definitely the clearcut "best" game of the series. If done right, Skyrim could surpass it. Because Nords are such Bad Apples

The one thing I hope they change is the "zonal" system. I thought it was perfect in Morrowind that some zones were meant for higher levels and vice versa. It made the whole griding to make a high level character worthwhile

I just hope it doesn't feel like an Expansion.

It is getting easier to make games with good graphics with newer technology and I guess how deep it is depends on the size of the crew and the time spent. Once they have the graphics and interface done, they can get going on making the world. They need to put in any more time into the graphics unless they make new items. The construction set they use is either the same or very close to the one released for anyone to use.

I hated the leveled npc system in Oblivion. Nearing the end of the game, every enemy NPC had Daedric armor and weapons! In Morrowind, finding such weapons and armor took a long time.

Think of Scandinavia. There will be a lot of snow sort of like how there was a lot of ash in Morrowind but there should still be quite a bit of diversity.

Cyrodiil is based off of Rome so I think it would make more sense if it weren't a jungle. They retconned it with some weird story.

Like Walk The Dinosaur said, Cyrodiil is bigger. It only seems smaller because of map travel and horses. In Morrowind, you had to go to a lot of the places by foot. I hope they do something similar in Skyrim. Perhaps boat travel by fjords supplemented with horses? Map travel is convenient but it makes the world seem so much smaller.
Posted Image

#23 Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

Cyrodiil is based off of Rome so I think it would make more sense if it weren't a jungle. They retconned it with some weird story.

Like Walk The Dinosaur said, Cyrodiil is bigger. It only seems smaller because of map travel and horses. In Morrowind, you had to go to a lot of the places by foot. I hope they do something similar in Skyrim. Perhaps boat travel by fjords supplemented with horses? Map travel is convenient but it makes the world seem so much smaller.

It was described as being in dense jungle when the original team was working on it, the new team changed the lore a lot and I find they made it bland and boring.

#24 One one two

One one two

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,041 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

*Waits patiently for the release day*

#25 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

I don't think you're going to play as Dovakhiin. Being a direct sequel, I think you'll be able to continue on with your Oblivion hero or create a brand new one(ala Baldur's Gate 2).

I wonder if the game will involve the Akaviri in some fashion what with all the "Dragon" talk. Not to mention there is a story about a Nord who traveled to Akavir and fought an entire army of one of the four kingdoms there. Not to mention a "Tsaesci" line did rule Tamriel for close to 400 years. So it is possible for them to be kicking around.

Posted Image

#26 Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

I don't think you're going to play as Dovakhiin. Being a direct sequel, I think you'll be able to continue on with your Oblivion hero or create a brand new one(ala Baldur's Gate 2).

I wonder if the game will involve the Akaviri in some fashion what with all the "Dragon" talk. Not to mention there is a story about a Nord who traveled to Akavir and fought an entire army of one of the four kingdoms there. Not to mention a "Tsaesci" line did rule Tamriel for close to 400 years. So it is possible for them to be kicking around.

It has a new engine, I doubt you'll be able to do that.

#27 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

I don't understand why they would make Skyrim a direct sequel for the first time. I really hope that they don't have the same character from Oblivion.

Speaking of Akavir. People mentioned in Oblivion that Nerevarine has left to Akavir for some reason. It will be interesting to know what happened to Nerevarine.

It has a new engine, I doubt you'll be able to do that.

If they wanted to, it wouldn't be very hard transferring over the stats from the old character. The new game engine will probably have the traditional Elder Scrolls attributes and skills. I am pretty sure all the items will disappear though if they allow a character transfer.
Posted Image

#28 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

I don't understand why they would make Skyrim a direct sequel for the first time. I really hope that they don't have the same character from Oblivion.

Speaking of Akavir. People mentioned in Oblivion that Nerevarine has left to Akavir for some reason. It will be interesting to know what happened to Nerevarine.

If they wanted to, it wouldn't be very hard transferring over the stats from the old character. The new game engine will probably have the traditional Elder Scrolls attributes and skills. I am pretty sure all the items will disappear though if they allow a character transfer.

Eh for the effort it would cause to transfer only the attributes and skills but not the items what's the point? Just customize a new character.
Posted Image

#29 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Eh for the effort it would cause to transfer only the attributes and skills but not the items what's the point? Just customize a new character.

Which is why i think it shouldn't be happening at all. It should just be a direct sequel plot wise but with an all new character. So the Empire is without an emperor and still reeling from it's war with Oblivion but with an all new character.
Posted Image

#30 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

So they're releasing the cover for Skyrim tomorrow(January 6th) which will lead to game informer doing an entire month of covering Skyrim. So excited.

"I’ve always found it interesting that the art style for each game is a direct reaction to the previous game. After finishing Morrowind I wanted to take the Elder Scrolls in a more realistic direction, with some high fantasy elements. I brought this to Todd’s attention and surprisingly I found out we were on the same page. Similarly, at the end of Oblivion I felt the art style could go in a completely different direction, which drove the look for Shivering Isles. Once again, Todd was excited about a stylistic change and we ended up with our most unusual aesthetic since the Elder Scrolls series began. I think changing the visual style between games helps keep the series interesting for us as developers and for the people who play it. – Matt Carofano, Art Director"

:bigblush:

Edited by Walk The Dinosaur, 05 January 2011 - 02:01 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.