The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hat Trick Maker

How many hours have you put in to get that far? I'm up to about 60 hours and I'm only a Level 21. I'm a bit miffed that, despite using the flames spell EVERY fight, my destruction skill barely improves.

Steam says Im at 403 hours. I started with a sword guy and got him to 52 before switching to my current destruction mage. My hours are high as I regularly pause the game rather than exit it at night or when i go out and I never turn my comp off, so steams totals include all those hours as well. Possibly half my hours are while not actually playing.

As for destruction magic:

it can go slowly at first but once you get to 75 in destruction you can learn incinerate, an expert level flame spell. Thats when mages really get going. Incinerate is the best. Dual cast, it is by far my most used spell.I never even bothered to get the frost or shock perks, I burn everything. With the impact perk, when you dual cast, the enemy is staggered long enough to hit him again, which restaggers him and he will be basically staggered for the entire fight.You can burn down almost any single enemy this way and they will never have a chance to do anything. This works on up to 3 guys coming at you casting from one to the other and back again. They keep getting closer but at least one or 2 will be dead before they reach you usually. Incinerate, and all other expert level spells cost a hell of a lot of magilka to cast and you need to chain cast them on the higher diff levels so you will want to have 4 items with +25% reduction to destruction magika cost enchantments. Making all destruction spells free to cast. Once you have the dual enchanting perk it isnt hard to get 4 items enchanted for this. The highest level destruction spells, Master level, are insanely expensive and are basically uncastable without the 100% reduction to cost so you will need it for those later on anyways.

P.S. If you get the 100% reduction to destruction magika cost enchants early enough you can save some perk points by not getting Adept , expert or master destruction perks as all they do is reduce the cost to cast those spells by half. At 100% reduction half of nothing is still nothing.

How many hours have you put in to get that far? I'm up to about 60 hours and I'm only a Level 21. I'm a bit miffed that, despite using the flames spell EVERY fight, my destruction skill barely improves.

The lower the spell level, (Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, Master), novice for instance takes a lot longer to level up since you are using the bare minimum, When you are able to cast spells that are a higher level do it, you'll level up a lot faster than sitting with Flames at the Novice level.

mages really get going. Incinerate is the best. Dual cast, it is by far my most used spell.I never even bothered to get the frost or shock perks, I burn everything. With the impact perk, when you dual cast, the enemy is staggered long enough to hit him again, which restaggers him and he will be basically staggered for the entire fight.You can burn down almost any single enemy this way and they will never have a chance to do anything. This works on up to 3 guys coming at you casting from one to the other and back again. They keep getting closer but at least one or 2 will be dead before they reach you usually. Incinerate, and all other expert level spells cost a hell of a lot of magilka to cast and you need to chain cast them on the higher diff levels so you will want to have 4 items with +25% reduction to destruction magika cost enchantments. Making all destruction spells free to cast. Once you have the dual enchanting perk it isnt hard to get 4 items enchanted for this. The highest level destruction spells, Master level, are insanely expensive and are basically uncastable without the 100% reduction to cost so you will need it for those later on anyways.

P.S. If you get the 100% reduction to destruction magika cost enchants early enough you can save some perk points by not getting Adept , expert or master destruction perks as all they do is reduce the cost to cast those spells by half. At 100% reduction half of nothing is still nothing.

The lower the spell level, (Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, Master), novice for instance takes a lot longer to level up since you are using the bare minimum, When you are able to cast spells that are a higher level do it, you'll level up a lot faster than sitting with Flames at the Novice level.

Cool, thanks both. I'll switch to something more powerful, then have some patience. Which isn't my forte truth be told.

One way I "farm" leveling up Destruction and Conjuration at the same time is Conjuring an Atronach, Daedra, etc. (whatever the highest spell I can do with one hand) then killing it with a Destruction spell with the other hand. It's best to wears enchantments that up your magicka and magicka regeneration so you don't have to wait for too long.

Is there an expansion coming soon? I haven't played this game in a couple months.

I shouldn't have finished the main quest, it just gave me the feeling that I finished the game.

If I went back there's obviously still a lot to do but I basically finished most of the main questlines.

Bethesda Announces the First DLC for Skyrim, DawnguardMay 1, 2012

180px-SR-DLC-Dawnguard.jpg

Bethesda Softworks has revealed that the first DLC for
will be called
"Dawnguard"
in the latest
. Besides the name, an image of the
with glowing eyes was included. The DLC is slated for release this Summer on the
, with any plans for release on the PC or
still pending due to a previous agreement to release the first two major expansions to the game exclusively on the Xbox 360 for thirty days. Dawnguard originally was brought to public attention when Bethedsa Dawnguard last February, creating some speculation about what it could be. As of now, there is little to suggest what Dawnguard could be about, with both "Dawn" and "Guard" being common terms throughout the franchise. The next planned release of information relating to the DLC is scheduled for a reveal at
. Those curious about what Bethesda has planned will have to wait until June 5th at the earliest, the scheduled date for the opening of this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo.

posted for trav from a couple pages ago.

I'm so annoyed. I spent 20mibs clearing out the Broken Oar Grotto, killed Jar-ee or whoever he was, then began mopping up loot. I saw one guy standing at the bottom of the lake and thought he was dead, so ignored him. Needless to say, he sneak attacked me and impaled me :(

I did however upgrade to that decapitation perk on one-handed. That's a pretty cool kill cam move!

And Flame Atronachs really don't like being conjured for sport. I got a singed beard quite a few times trying to level up my destruction skill (which does help, ta).

. I saw one guy standing at the bottom of the lake and thought he was dead, so ignored him. Needless to say, he sneak attacked me and impaled me :(

Get heavy armor. never get one shotted by anyone ever. Its not just for melee guys. My destruction mage has been wearing heavy armor as soon as he could enchant it to beat out a robes stats. With the heavy armor conditioning perk all heavy armour has no weight and doesnt slow you down so its downside is limited.

I play a heavy armoured spell-sword. Just sold an Ebony shield because it didn't fit the character I was playing lol. Sword in the right hand spells in the other, full time all the time. I use wards for defense and ranged spells for distance and pretty much the first sword I picked up (Ancient Nord Sword of Cold) for all levels so far.

I play a heavy armoured spell-sword. Just sold an Ebony shield because it didn't fit the character I was playing lol. Sword in the right hand spells in the other, full time all the time. I use wards for defense and ranged spells for distance and pretty much the first sword I picked up (Ancient Nord Sword of Cold) for all levels so far.

What level are you? I was sword + destruction for the first long while but once I got to dual casting my spells the sword got put away. You dont need wards. Thats what your companion is there for. To tank all the damage lol.

posted for trav from a couple pages ago.

Thanks. Sucks that it will come out 30 days earlier for 360 than it will on PS3 or PC. Also sucks that it's in the summer.

Man I can't wait for E3 Expo in June. No doubt there will be info on Dawnguard, and lots of info on new games.

Mastered:

Smithing, Pickpocketing, Blocking, Heavy Armor and One handed.

Working on two handed. Then I'll go straight archery which I'm at 78.

I feel like a nerd :(

Archery is pretty easy if you use the bow all the time. It was my main weapon and I maxed it pretty quickly. Always my first shot is a sneak bow attack.

I love the warzones mod on Skyrim Nexus. Skyrim is suppose to be a civil war, correct? You sure as hell wouldn't know it until you get this mod. There are massive battle grounds in the holds with probably 40-50 Imperials/Stormcloaks dueling it out and they respawn over time. Much more realistic. And of course if you're a new character, you can always loot the bodies afterwards like back in the medieval ages after war.

Took me ages to kill Vokun. I think I may have grown a few white hairs in the process. Bit off more than I could chew I think. <_<

haha took me forever to kill my first dragon priest too. i played ring around the big pillar in the middle of the room till i finally got him.

haha took me forever to kill my first dragon priest too. i played ring around the big pillar in the middle of the room till i finally got him.

I used my bow and arrow for a while, then just went at him with my sword, while getting hammered off potions!

Archived