1396 replies to this topic

#901 Azzy Mahmood

Azzy Mahmood

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

Someone asked earlier "should I buy this game?" - I have that same question, but can someone give me a brief rundown of what i'm getting myself into if I do? 50+ pages of comments got my attention!

#902 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

New driver released for Nvidia GFX users. boosts skyrim performance by 44%.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#903 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Someone asked earlier "should I buy this game?" - I have that same question, but can someone give me a brief rundown of what i'm getting myself into if I do? 50+ pages of comments got my attention!

It's a non-linear game with quests you can choose to follow or set aside for later. They've constructed a world for you to explore, and it's very, very pretty. It's an RPG in that there is story behind everything, which you can learn as much or as little about it as you'd like, and your character will gain skills, level up, and acquire "perks" in whatever skills you use. You don't choose a "class" like typical RPG's but rather just get better at whatever it is you do when you play.

The game is as hardcore or casual as you choose to make it, and has near limitless potential for time investment with infinite number of quests and a modding community (if you get it on PC only) that will introduce new content for you to peruse.

If you like stories, exploration, and/or role playing then this game is for you. It's the benchmark for single player rpg/sandbox games. It is "the divorcee maker."

If this doesn't help then tell me what games you're into.

Edited by suolucidir, 21 February 2012 - 12:15 PM.

PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#904 Azzy Mahmood

Azzy Mahmood

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

That's great, thanks. I can't believe this has passed me by! I'll be ordering it tonight :)

#905 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

It was so funny, I was attacked by two dragons! That's right TWO dragons!! Check it out:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sorry for the bad quality. I have it for Xbox and had to take the picture with my phone!

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#906 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Did you whoop some ass?

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#907 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

You better believe it!

Actually I had to duck into a cave and wait a bit every time my health got low because I ran out of health potions earlier, but eventually I prevailed!

#908 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

I got attacked by 2 dragons while I was on a quest where I was supposed to tail somebody, luckily the guy didn't get killed by either dragon. Also, after I killed the first one I went to attack the second dragon and my ps3 crashed. Hurray.
Posted Image

#909 Joffrey Lupul

Joffrey Lupul

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

I got attacked by 3 dragons once. 2 Elder dragons and 1 with some unique name. V something.

wtf?

Thank god for Dragonsrend

2zi66q8.jpgnv20o20imarksmanx_zpsb4f8b662.jpg?55

small.pngGM - STHS Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck.

#910 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

I got attacked by 3 dragons once. 2 Elder dragons and 1 with some unique name. V something.

wtf?

Thank god for Dragonsrend

Ain't that the truth..

3Goktj2.jpg

#911 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Ain't that the truth..

I never leave home without it!

#912 edler rocks

edler rocks

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

haha i thought it was gonna be hard to level up illusion...but you can just spam "muffle" and it goes up like mad.

#913 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

haha i thought it was gonna be hard to level up illusion...but you can just spam "muffle" and it goes up like mad.

It's about equivalent to the "bound sword" spell for conjuring. I remember using muffle while practicing sneak to improve it's effectiveness. And before I managed to improve sneak by 1, I improved illusion by like 4. An illusion spell like "calm", which is a lot harder to effectively cast, only improves illusion a fraction of what muffle does. It's hilarious.

Also, I think I've literally finished near everything in this game. The only thing I have left to do is join the imperials and do the civil war questline. Well there's that and the Thieves Guild, but I'm not interested in touching that. I wish they were like the Dark Brotherhood, in that you can choose to wipe them out, but you can't.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#914 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Here's a quick way to get Sneak to 100, just go to that kids house in Windhelm, the one who needs the Dark Brotherhood but don't talk to him, just get behind him and sneak into a wall, don't sneak too fast or he will detect you, and just leave something on your joystick to keep your character moving forward slowly, leave it for the night and, BAM, in the morning Sneak at 100!

#915 edler rocks

edler rocks

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

It's about equivalent to the "bound sword" spell for conjuring. I remember using muffle while practicing sneak to improve it's effectiveness. And before I managed to improve sneak by 1, I improved illusion by like 4. An illusion spell like "calm", which is a lot harder to effectively cast, only improves illusion a fraction of what muffle does. It's hilarious.

Also, I think I've literally finished near everything in this game. The only thing I have left to do is join the imperials and do the civil war questline. Well there's that and the Thieves Guild, but I'm not interested in touching that. I wish they were like the Dark Brotherhood, in that you can choose to wipe them out, but you can't.

with the bound sword you have to be near an enemy for it to count toward leveling up.
yea i don't have a lot left to do either. just the dark brotherhood pretty much. and a few things here and there.

anybody know a good way to level up alchemy? mine's still at like 44.

#916 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

anybody know a good way to level up alchemy? mine's still at like 44.

Just harvest everything you can and make as many potions and poisons as you can as often as you can. It's the same as the smithing bug, all potions/poisons give the same experience no matter the value.

And as a plus, with all the potions you make, you can sell them all and up your mercantile skill!

#917 Joffrey Lupul

Joffrey Lupul

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

Why waste your time leveling up useless skills 1 by 1? After you level out everything you used, just do the oghmund insidium (spelling) glitch and skyrocket to 81

2zi66q8.jpgnv20o20imarksmanx_zpsb4f8b662.jpg?55

small.pngGM - STHS Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck.

#918 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Why waste your time leveling up useless skills 1 by 1? After you level out everything you used, just do the oghmund insidium (spelling) glitch and skyrocket to 81

Kind of defeats the purpose of the game don't you think. I mean I will probably do it with one of my characters once I've gotten as far as I'm willing to but not in mid game.

On a side not I started a stealthy Wood Elf file right now he has 400 some odd carry capacity but I'm gonna get the pickpocket perk that adds another 100lbs. So I will have a little wood elf that can carry 500lbs+ of equipment plus I love using the bow in this game so I'm stoked on that as well. :emot-parrot:

Edited by RO8!!, 07 March 2012 - 10:59 AM.

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#919 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

Kind of defeats the purpose of the game don't you think. I mean I will probably do it with one of my characters once I've gotten as far as I'm willing to but not in mid game.

On a side not I started a stealthy Wood Elf file right now he has 400 some odd carry capacity but I'm gonna get the pickpocket perk that adds another 100lbs. So I will have a little wood elf that can carry 500lbs+ of equipment plus I love using the bow in this game so I'm stoked on that as well. :emot-parrot:

If you use the Steed Stone it gives you more carrying capacity as well as armor not slowing you down.

Posted Image
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

#920 edler rocks

edler rocks

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

i can carry over 500 lbs. my stamina is at 300 but i have ring, necklace, boots, and gloves enchanted with fortify carry weight. each one gives me +37 lbs.

come to think of it i should re-make and re-enchant those, i've leveled up a lot since i made them.

#921 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

If you use the Steed Stone it gives you more carrying capacity as well as armor not slowing you down.

That is how I got to over 400.

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#922 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

I basically finished the game with a melee sword and board guy. Had been through every quest line and every location on the map. Just restarted with a pure caster. More fun than expected as you have/get to move around a lot more to keep guys at range and to avoid killing your companion. Not just standing there chopping everything down.

When I restarted I had 222 hours in the game. That seemed like a lot but there were a bunch of times I left the guy standing in a town somewhere and went to work, and sleep, and work again before Id realize hes still standing there ( I never turn off my comp and it never goes into sleep mode). Left him in game when I went to Seattle for a weekend once.

Posted Image

#923 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

The Elemental Fury shout is sooo OP. My brother was at my house the other day and he plays a caster, where as I play a dual wielding one hander guy, and I went up to a (blood) dragon and killed it in about three seconds with that shout, and as well as killing a dragon priest in about 4 seconds with the shout. My bro was amazed, it takes him as a caster a lot longer to kill stuff.

It also helps that I have two legendary daedric maces though....

3Goktj2.jpg

#924 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

The only two shouts I used where Unrelenting Force and Fire Breath. I was a sword and shield/bow/battleaxe guy. I loved using UF to blast people off of sheer cliffs and down mountain sides, too much fun!

#925 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

The Elemental Fury shout is sooo OP. My brother was at my house the other day and he plays a caster, where as I play a dual wielding one hander guy, and I went up to a (blood) dragon and killed it in about three seconds with that shout, and as well as killing a dragon priest in about 4 seconds with the shout. My bro was amazed, it takes him as a caster a lot longer to kill stuff.

It also helps that I have two legendary daedric maces though....

If you have dual daedrics doesnt Elemental fury just take too long to get going? Most stuff would be dead in the first few seconds including most dragons. Plus it hits your companion too and I have enough problems not killing them by accident as it is lol.

Like the above poster I use UF almost exclusively.

Posted Image

#926 sulihpoeht

sulihpoeht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

pms00 on youtube probably makes the best skyrim guides out there. As of now I have one a one handed mace that goes up to 500 damage per swing if I equip all my fortify 1H equipment.

Edited by sulihpoeht, 10 March 2012 - 11:04 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!

#927 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

I almost never use UF, I use shouts that do damage like fire breath or ice form.

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#928 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I almost never use UF, I use shouts that do damage like fire breath or ice form.

I use it because my guy is a monster for dealing damage and I don't really need to deal supplementary damage anywhere, just bowl guys over with UF and slaughter them while they're helpless!

:bigblush:

#929 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,105 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

Just got the game a few days ago (late to the party, yes I know)

Pretty impressed so far, really liking the Dark Brotherhood. I almost had a change of heart when I had the choice whether to kill one of the 3 prisoners or go against the brotherhood, but I decided to join and put an arrow in each of them.

Only explored about a quarter of the cities, so I have a lot more to go, not enough time in the day to play.

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#930 InSoM-

InSoM-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

Just got the game a few days ago (late to the party, yes I know)

Pretty impressed so far, really liking the Dark Brotherhood. I almost had a change of heart when I had the choice whether to kill one of the 3 prisoners or go against the brotherhood, but I decided to join and put an arrow in each of them.

Only explored about a quarter of the cities, so I have a lot more to go, not enough time in the day to play.

You're in for a long, fun ride. If you're the type of person that takes advantage of game "Flaws" then the game will be way too easy though :P

Quicksave, Pickpocket - Oops I failed, reload quicksave and try again.
Spam Iron daggers to get your Smithing to 100 in pretty much no time.
Abusing Companions that can train you(Train, take gold from inventory, repeat)

Posted Image
X-360 Gamertag: InSoMnIaK604

NHL 12 Sim League Boston Bruins GM
VHL Montreal Canadiens GM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.