The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hat Trick Maker

Someone asked earlier "should I buy this game?" - I have that same question, but can someone give me a brief rundown of what i'm getting myself into if I do? 50+ pages of comments got my attention!

It's a non-linear game with quests you can choose to follow or set aside for later. They've constructed a world for you to explore, and it's very, very pretty. It's an RPG in that there is story behind everything, which you can learn as much or as little about it as you'd like, and your character will gain skills, level up, and acquire "perks" in whatever skills you use. You don't choose a "class" like typical RPG's but rather just get better at whatever it is you do when you play.

The game is as hardcore or casual as you choose to make it, and has near limitless potential for time investment with infinite number of quests and a modding community (if you get it on PC only) that will introduce new content for you to peruse.

If you like stories, exploration, and/or role playing then this game is for you. It's the benchmark for single player rpg/sandbox games. It is "the divorcee maker."

If this doesn't help then tell me what games you're into.

Guest gumballthechewy

It was so funny, I was attacked by two dragons! That's right TWO dragons!! Check it out:

SkyrimDoubleDragon1.jpg?t=1330318642

SkyrimDoubleDragon2.jpg?t=1330319201

SkyrimDoubleDragon3.jpg?t=1330319633

SkyrimDoubleDragon4.jpg?t=1330319917

Sorry for the bad quality. I have it for Xbox and had to take the picture with my phone!

Guest gumballthechewy

You better believe it!

Actually I had to duck into a cave and wait a bit every time my health got low because I ran out of health potions earlier, but eventually I prevailed!

I got attacked by 2 dragons while I was on a quest where I was supposed to tail somebody, luckily the guy didn't get killed by either dragon. Also, after I killed the first one I went to attack the second dragon and my ps3 crashed. Hurray.

haha i thought it was gonna be hard to level up illusion...but you can just spam "muffle" and it goes up like mad.

It's about equivalent to the "bound sword" spell for conjuring. I remember using muffle while practicing sneak to improve it's effectiveness. And before I managed to improve sneak by 1, I improved illusion by like 4. An illusion spell like "calm", which is a lot harder to effectively cast, only improves illusion a fraction of what muffle does. It's hilarious.

Also, I think I've literally finished near everything in this game. The only thing I have left to do is join the imperials and do the civil war questline. Well there's that and the Thieves Guild, but I'm not interested in touching that. I wish they were like the Dark Brotherhood, in that you can choose to wipe them out, but you can't.

Guest gumballthechewy

Here's a quick way to get Sneak to 100, just go to that kids house in Windhelm, the one who needs the Dark Brotherhood but don't talk to him, just get behind him and sneak into a wall, don't sneak too fast or he will detect you, and just leave something on your joystick to keep your character moving forward slowly, leave it for the night and, BAM, in the morning Sneak at 100!

It's about equivalent to the "bound sword" spell for conjuring. I remember using muffle while practicing sneak to improve it's effectiveness. And before I managed to improve sneak by 1, I improved illusion by like 4. An illusion spell like "calm", which is a lot harder to effectively cast, only improves illusion a fraction of what muffle does. It's hilarious.

Also, I think I've literally finished near everything in this game. The only thing I have left to do is join the imperials and do the civil war questline. Well there's that and the Thieves Guild, but I'm not interested in touching that. I wish they were like the Dark Brotherhood, in that you can choose to wipe them out, but you can't.

with the bound sword you have to be near an enemy for it to count toward leveling up.

yea i don't have a lot left to do either. just the dark brotherhood pretty much. and a few things here and there.

anybody know a good way to level up alchemy? mine's still at like 44.

Guest gumballthechewy

anybody know a good way to level up alchemy? mine's still at like 44.

Just harvest everything you can and make as many potions and poisons as you can as often as you can. It's the same as the smithing bug, all potions/poisons give the same experience no matter the value.

And as a plus, with all the potions you make, you can sell them all and up your mercantile skill!

Why waste your time leveling up useless skills 1 by 1? After you level out everything you used, just do the oghmund insidium (spelling) glitch and skyrocket to 81

Kind of defeats the purpose of the game don't you think. I mean I will probably do it with one of my characters once I've gotten as far as I'm willing to but not in mid game.

On a side not I started a stealthy Wood Elf file right now he has 400 some odd carry capacity but I'm gonna get the pickpocket perk that adds another 100lbs. So I will have a little wood elf that can carry 500lbs+ of equipment plus I love using the bow in this game so I'm stoked on that as well. :emot-parrot:

Kind of defeats the purpose of the game don't you think. I mean I will probably do it with one of my characters once I've gotten as far as I'm willing to but not in mid game.

On a side not I started a stealthy Wood Elf file right now he has 400 some odd carry capacity but I'm gonna get the pickpocket perk that adds another 100lbs. So I will have a little wood elf that can carry 500lbs+ of equipment plus I love using the bow in this game so I'm stoked on that as well. :emot-parrot:

If you use the Steed Stone it gives you more carrying capacity as well as armor not slowing you down.

i can carry over 500 lbs. my stamina is at 300 but i have ring, necklace, boots, and gloves enchanted with fortify carry weight. each one gives me +37 lbs.

come to think of it i should re-make and re-enchant those, i've leveled up a lot since i made them.

Archived