The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hat Trick Maker

I basically finished the game with a melee sword and board guy. Had been through every quest line and every location on the map. Just restarted with a pure caster. More fun than expected as you have/get to move around a lot more to keep guys at range and to avoid killing your companion. Not just standing there chopping everything down.

When I restarted I had 222 hours in the game. That seemed like a lot but there were a bunch of times I left the guy standing in a town somewhere and went to work, and sleep, and work again before Id realize hes still standing there ( I never turn off my comp and it never goes into sleep mode). Left him in game when I went to Seattle for a weekend once.

The Elemental Fury shout is sooo OP. My brother was at my house the other day and he plays a caster, where as I play a dual wielding one hander guy, and I went up to a (blood) dragon and killed it in about three seconds with that shout, and as well as killing a dragon priest in about 4 seconds with the shout. My bro was amazed, it takes him as a caster a lot longer to kill stuff.

It also helps that I have two legendary daedric maces though....

Guest gumballthechewy

The only two shouts I used where Unrelenting Force and Fire Breath. I was a sword and shield/bow/battleaxe guy. I loved using UF to blast people off of sheer cliffs and down mountain sides, too much fun!

The Elemental Fury shout is sooo OP. My brother was at my house the other day and he plays a caster, where as I play a dual wielding one hander guy, and I went up to a (blood) dragon and killed it in about three seconds with that shout, and as well as killing a dragon priest in about 4 seconds with the shout. My bro was amazed, it takes him as a caster a lot longer to kill stuff.

It also helps that I have two legendary daedric maces though....

If you have dual daedrics doesnt Elemental fury just take too long to get going? Most stuff would be dead in the first few seconds including most dragons. Plus it hits your companion too and I have enough problems not killing them by accident as it is lol.

Like the above poster I use UF almost exclusively.

Guest gumballthechewy

I almost never use UF, I use shouts that do damage like fire breath or ice form.

I use it because my guy is a monster for dealing damage and I don't really need to deal supplementary damage anywhere, just bowl guys over with UF and slaughter them while they're helpless!

:bigblush:

Just got the game a few days ago (late to the party, yes I know)

Pretty impressed so far, really liking the Dark Brotherhood. I almost had a change of heart when I had the choice whether to kill one of the 3 prisoners or go against the brotherhood, but I decided to join and put an arrow in each of them.

Only explored about a quarter of the cities, so I have a lot more to go, not enough time in the day to play.

Just got the game a few days ago (late to the party, yes I know)

Pretty impressed so far, really liking the Dark Brotherhood. I almost had a change of heart when I had the choice whether to kill one of the 3 prisoners or go against the brotherhood, but I decided to join and put an arrow in each of them.

Only explored about a quarter of the cities, so I have a lot more to go, not enough time in the day to play.

You're in for a long, fun ride. If you're the type of person that takes advantage of game "Flaws" then the game will be way too easy though :P

Quicksave, Pickpocket - Oops I failed, reload quicksave and try again.

Spam Iron daggers to get your Smithing to 100 in pretty much no time.

Abusing Companions that can train you(Train, take gold from inventory, repeat)

You're in for a long, fun ride. If you're the type of person that takes advantage of game "Flaws" then the game will be way too easy though :P

Quicksave, Pickpocket - Oops I failed, reload quicksave and try again.

Spam Iron daggers to get your Smithing to 100 in pretty much no time.

Abusing Companions that can train you(Train, take gold from inventory, repeat)

First you tell him the game will be too easy if he abuses the flaws, and then you go and list the options?

:lol:

Guest gumballthechewy

First you tell him the game will be too easy if he abuses the flaws, and then you go and list the options?

:lol:

All those you can find with a quick search on google.

That's how I learned....

:bigblush:

I apologize if this has been posted already (sorry...feeling too lazy to go through 30 pages of thread posts -_- )

I've been looking to see what new DLC will show up (I've been hoping for new houses, as the selection isn't all that great - liked Oblivion better for that). Anyway, found this...not neccessarily DLC, but neat ideas (it was a free-for-all for the Bethesda team). I love the Kinect dragon shouts - what I wouldn't give to yell FUS RO DAH at my T.V. :towel: ! And of course, the build your own house!

http://kotaku.com/5883580/kinect+enabled-shouts-and-dragon-mounts-will-skyrims-game-jam-experiments-ever-see-the-light-of-day/gallery/1?tag=theelderscrolls

with the bound sword you have to be near an enemy for it to count toward leveling up.

yea i don't have a lot left to do either. just the dark brotherhood pretty much. and a few things here and there.

anybody know a good way to level up alchemy? mine's still at like 44.

Well, if you already have the enchanting 100, smithing 100, which is highly recommended, then you should have lots of gold to work with. With the gold, buy all the ingredients at alchemy vendors and try to make the strongest potions by combining random ingredients. Quality over quantity. Don't make too many sucky potions to fill your inventory, it'll just waste ingredients and space. Try to go for strong potions that cost at least 400 gold. The best combo is wheat+giants toe. After all that potion making, you should have tons of potions to sell. Train your alchemy skill with some like Arcadia, and then sell all the potions you just made to get your money back.

Slap on the thief stone, and if you have a home nearby, sleep for like 1 hour. The Thief stone give 20% faster improvement and the sleeping is an extra 10% for 8 hours in game.

A good way to make alchemy vendors restock is to either wait 24 hours, or save the game, kill the vendor, and then load the game.

Hope this helped, this is what I did.

Well, I finished the civil war questline... and it was very underwhelming. I thought what you'd be getting would be a lot more dynamic then that. It's basically; Fast travel to Fort, slaughter 25 people, report back, repeat. I don't know why I bothered to save this until the end of the game, lol. The lack of control is a bit frustrating. The only choice you make is picking your side, and the rest the game just outlines for you.

I don't like that, but to be honest, most of the game is like that. There's very little choice in your actions other then the order in which you complete things, and how long you can manage to wait and ignore things you don't want to do (as they continue to sit in your quest log).

Well, I finished the civil war questline... and it was very underwhelming. I thought what you'd be getting would be a lot more dynamic then that. It's basically; Fast travel to Fort, slaughter 25 people, report back, repeat. I don't know why I bothered to save this until the end of the game, lol. The lack of control is a bit frustrating. The only choice you make is picking your side, and the rest the game just outlines for you.

I don't like that, but to be honest, most of the game is like that. There's very little choice in your actions other then the order in which you complete things, and how long you can manage to wait and ignore things you don't want to do (as they continue to sit in your quest log).

At least in Skyrim there is enough choice and missions to not do something if you don't want and it won't effect you in a negative way. Like say Mass effect where really all you do is choose the order of missions that you "have" to do. I agree the choice only really goes so far but that is why I create different characters and do different things with them.

Edit: As well the Civil war quest line is very basic and the same virtually for both sides except different locations. It is probably one of the most straight forward quest lines.

At least in Skyrim there is enough choice and missions to not do something if you don't want and it won't effect you in a negative way. Like say Mass effect where really all you do is choose the order of missions that you "have" to do. I agree the choice only really goes so far but that is why I create different characters and do different things with them.

Edit: As well the Civil war quest line is very basic and the same virtually for both sides except different locations. It is probably one of the most straight forward quest lines.

I know what you mean, but it still feels limiting. This is not the same feeling I got when I was playing Fallout New Vegas. It felt like I was my own boss at almost all times. Skyrim, not so much. You're supposed to be the ultimate hero, but it always feels like your serving someone. Don't get me wrong, Skyrim is better then New Vegas in most every way, but in this regard, I don't feel it is.

If they diversified dialogue options greatly, and added the ability to say no to things, it would probably make this the greatest game I've ever played.

Archived