The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

I think I'm missing something here because I didn't see much out of him other than just playing simple like Sestito. I want him to succeed he seems like a great guy.

I'm going to watch him closely.

Ya, I think you are.

He plays really hard on the puck, and back-checks very effectively.

The biggest difference between Archibald's play and Sestito is how effective they are using their size. Sestito skates around and tries to throw hits and wrestle with people, but he doesn't get much out of it. He's bad along the boards.

Archibald focuses on the puck, but is very aware of who is around it, and who is around him. He skates hard, and has put a lot of effort into developing his quickness this last year. He goes for that puck and rocks anybody in his path. Sestito just goes for the hit, never mind the actual puck.

When Archibald has the puck, he protects it until he makes the play. When Sestito has the puck, he bounces it off the wall or the glass, or passes back to a defenseman.

Overall, Sestito and Archibald could be pretty much the exact same player if Sestito just had a little more hockey sense. Arch is a bit smarter and a bit faster. That equates to being a clear upgrade.

Sestito's only 1-up on Arch is he's a bit bigger. But what good is that if he's too slow and not smart enough to use it as well?

Archibald also plays with more fire, which is the biggest reason Torts seems to like the guy.

Go Archie! Pulling for this guy.

When MG signed this guy as a FA, we knew he'd be a project.

Sent to ECHL, back up to AHL, now getting some NHL time and not looking out of place.

Not too shabby off a pickup if I may say so myself.

When healthy I don't think he should be stuck on the 4th line.

I think he should continue to develop in the AHL getting more minutes.

I hope Booth goes down for a conditioning stint so that Archibald can get an extra couple weeks. Though I think Booth would sooner displace Dalpe/Weber/Welsh/Sestito long before Arch gets bumped.

Watch Jensen/Grenier outplay Booth down in Utica lol :lol:

I am not even considering Booth as an option anymore. The real issue will be Hanson's return. He moves back on the 3RW displacing Kassian to 3LW. Sorry to Schroeder fans but he won't opt back in either IMHO. Richardson is simply to good.

Where does Archibald end up? It doesn't do this kid any good to be dropped to the 4th to replace Sestito. He needs lots of minutes which he will get in Utica. He will be in the lineup for the Cali road trip so we can watch his progress. The biggest surprise I have seen in him is his improved skating. I suspect he has been coached to stay away from the fisticuffs during this tour as it doesn't really impact the decision as to whether he stays or not. When you compare his play with Sestito it appears to me that his d-zone coverage is superior. I expect Sestito to be with Vancouver for the season but next year he will be challenged big time.

I think a roster move needs to be made once Hansen/Weise return.

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler should not be broken up as they are the hottest line in hockey right now.

Higgins-Santorelli-Burrows were absolutely dominant possession-wise so points should start coming for them soon.

Archibald-Richardson-Kassian I think could become a great 4th line that has energy and can play 10 minutes a game

This leaves us with a 3rd line that needs restructuring. Hansen is obviously a lock but after that it gets sort of iffy. Most of us want Booth gone, and Richardson is best utilized on the 4th line and PK.

So what we really need is a 3rd line center and replacing booth on the 3rd with a cheaper and better option.

I like Weise in the lineup but we have a clog of RWers with Kesler on wing so he will probably be the #13 guy moving forward. Dalpe and Sestito can be waived/sent down and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Welsh can remain the #14 guy to slot in with center injuries.

So the question is how do we get Booth off the roster and acquire two serviceable 3rd liners?

I'm not one that likes to see any player(s) get sent down. But, if ever there was a chance to jump start a struggling team, the time is now. I would love to see Dalpe, Sestito and Archibald in Utica. If they need time to "develop", it may as well be now. I like what I saw from Dalpe while he was here. Archibald became a fan favorite, overnight, because of his enthusiasm for this city. Sestito, a gritty, in your face player that will push forwards out from in front of the crease. Just what we need down here at this time. I'm no hockey expert, but I think that what Utica needs, Vancouver has. These guys will add fire to a team that is searching for something. If the playing time will be minimal, then at least get them producing down here while sharpening their skills for the Canucks.

I don't think Sestito and develop should be in the same sentence. He's the player he's going to be, even if maybe he improves his overall skill and effectiveness slightly.

Archie and Dalpe could benefit from lots of minutes in top 6/9 roles in Utica, but Dalpe would have to clear waivers and Archie is getting some great experience in the NHL right now. Maybe Dalpe clears, but we'll have to see what the roster looks like as players return from injury.

Your right about Sestito, the point I was trying to make is that the Comets can use a "gritty, in your face player" like him, right now. If he isn't going to play regularly in Vancouver, then he may as well keep his skills sharpened, down here. The boys in Utica could really learn a lesson from him. We need a spark to light a fire within these guys. They are so close to turning their season around. Ultimately, what we don't want to see here in Utica, is a team that continues to struggle, while the "tools" they need to do the job, are sitting, and not playing, in Vancouver. It doesn't help either, that we are 3 time zones away. We can't help the travel part but, a little better planning can solve this. We know it's all about player development down here, but, eventually, wouldn't Vancouver want a winning product down here too?

Someone will always be sitting or playing limited minutes in the NHL though, that's just how it works. Teams try not to do that to younger prospects, but more established players who are depth/fringe players will end up in those spots rather than be sent down.

The Canucks were forced into it last year with sending down Volpatti, and they lost him on waivers. You don't want to keep shuffling players in case you lose them; you can never guarantee you'll find an adequate replacement if you do.

I wish Booth could just stay in Utica. Archibald sent down to the Comets today, kind of bummed because I thought he played very well. Hope he gets another call-up sooner rather than later.

ya I hope management stressed to archie that hebplayed great and this is just a cba move.

I wish Booth could just stay in Utica. Archibald sent down to the Comets today, kind of bummed because I thought he played very well. Hope he gets another call-up sooner rather than later.

He did do well with limited minutes, but was given some sheltered minutes as well. I don't think they need to worry about that with Booth as much, and Booth can play a pretty similar game to Archibald. If offence comes for Booth it's a bonus, but unless we have something else we need that cap space for (assuming we could find a way to move it) then it's not a major loss swapping one out for the other.

He did do well with limited minutes, but was given some sheltered minutes as well. I don't think they need to worry about that with Booth as much, and Booth can play a pretty similar game to Archibald. If offence comes for Booth it's a bonus, but unless we have something else we need that cap space for (assuming we could find a way to move it) then it's not a major loss swapping one out for the other.

Not a major loss at all and it would be a good thing for Archibald to see some more ice-time. I just hope that Booth shows up and at least plays well enough to earn half of his salary. If not, they really need to try to move him while he is healthy (not going to happen due to Francophone-connection but I would love to get Daniel Briere out of Montreal for Booth + ).

Not a major loss at all and it would be a good thing for Archibald to see some more ice-time. I just hope that Booth shows up and at least plays well enough to earn half of his salary. If not, they really need to try to move him while he is healthy (not going to happen due to Francophone-connection but I would love to get Daniel Briere out of Montreal for Booth + ).

We don't need another smurf....i think LA/Anaheim games showed us that. What we could use is Booth finding his game AND Archie back up for the playoffs, that will solve alot of issues internally...

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Santo Kesler

Booth Schroeder Hansen

Archie Richardson Higgins

Size, speed, grit, hands, on every line

Weise/Welsh/Tostito

As expected.

Now he can work on his offensive game in the AHL and become more than a 4th line banger. He showed signs of being a good 3rd liner - just needs to keep working hard.

Well, Booth for Briere would all depend on that plus you mention, Kryten. But as you say it wouldn't likely happen from Montreal's perspective (unless our + was much, much more than we want to give up) so I don't see it.

As expected.

Now he can work on his offensive game in the AHL and become more than a 4th line banger. He showed signs of being a good 3rd liner - just needs to keep working hard.

I hope it's one of those situations where he's seen the speed of the NHL now and everything looks a little easier in the AHL. If he goes down and excels then that can only be a good thing for us, and perhaps we can weed out some of the players that haven't been as effective as we'd like in the bottom six.

Well, Booth for Briere would all depend on that plus you mention, Kryten. But as you say it wouldn't likely happen from Montreal's perspective (unless our + was much, much more than we want to give up) so I don't see it.

I hope it's one of those situations where he's seen the speed of the NHL now and everything looks a little easier in the AHL. If he goes down and excels then that can only be a good thing for us, and perhaps we can weed out some of the players that haven't been as effective as we'd like in the bottom six.

Sorry to hear Archi coming back to Utica. It will be a treat for Utica fans to see him back here. Thought he did pretty good in Vancouver. He will definitely see some quality ice time down here in Utica. He was a instant fan favorite here. He plays with a lot of fire and determination.....just what these guys down here need more of. He will help the goaltenders big time too, crease will be cleared out more now. He will be back in Vancouver soon. Hopefully the Comets can rack up some points while he's here. Either way, it will be good to have some NHL experience leading this team.

Archived