The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

On 2/26/2018 at 1:51 AM, Boudrias said:

I am a Archibald fan but I doubt he gets more than a 1 year re-up this summer. He has played well to date. No need for a 2 year deal. He has to compete for a spot like all the others in camp. He could be bumped out by a surprise and you don't want a 2 year deal tying up a contract that could be used on a UFA or college signing. 

some team will offer him a 2 year deal if he keeps up this play.   He wont be bumped by anyone.  He is big, can skate, hit and can score, and has learned to play a complete game.  Guys like him are not just lying around to be picked up and tossed off.  People call him a 4th liner, the problem with that is he is playing 3rd line shutdown with Sutter and doing very well at it. 

15 hours ago, samurai said:

Archie has 5 points in 12 games, his minutes are easily third line material, he plays pk - get your facts straight.

Firstly, drop the attitude please.  It isn't necessary; this is a discussion. 

Second, you completely misread my post anyway.  I'm suggesting exactly what I said - Archie is a good fit for the 4th line, and if we feel we need to get bigger then a bigger/grittier scoring player in the top six is a decent idea.  I'm not saying Archie isn't playing on the 3rd nor am I saying he doesn't play PK.  All your "points" essentially have nothing to do with what I said in my post whatsoever so I'm not certain what you thought you were reading.

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Firstly, drop the attitude please.  It isn't necessary; this is a discussion. 

Second, you completely misread my post anyway.  I'm suggesting exactly what I said - Archie is a good fit for the 4th line, and if we feel we need to get bigger then a bigger/grittier scoring player in the top six is a decent idea.  I'm not saying Archie isn't playing on the 3rd nor am I saying he doesn't play PK.  All your "points" essentially have nothing to do with what I said in my post whatsoever so I'm not certain what you thought you were reading.

And I am saying you are wrong in calling him a 4th liner, which u just did again.  He practiced on a line with Sutter and Jake today.   

8 minutes ago, samurai said:

And I am saying you are wrong in calling him a 4th liner, which u just did again.  He practiced on a line with Sutter and Jake today.   

Ok, so you realize that we have a heavily injured team right now, and that we are soon going to have a ton of very talented forwards coming onto the team, right?

He's a 4th liner on any team that isn't a bottom feeder.  I appreciate your man crush, but this is just a reality.

52 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Ok, so you realize that we have a heavily injured team right now, and that we are soon going to have a ton of very talented forwards coming onto the team, right?

He's a 4th liner on any team that isn't a bottom feeder.  I appreciate your man crush, but this is just a reality.

I provided facts that show you he isn't a 4th liner - roles like pk, shutdown, and key defensive situations, the substantial amount of ice time he gets as a result, not to mention his points and the only 'data' you bring is  kloubek thinks so, so it must be true.     I haven't even bothered with your '4th line' mistake.   Green, as most coaches say, they don't really think in terms 1st line, 2nd and so forth.  Nor that a 4th line should be a energy line.   It is a little more complicated than that.   If you go by time played last night Gagner, Goldy and Reid were the 4th line.    

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Not dissimilar to how both Leip and Virtanen are presently playing on our '1st line' whereas both guys are likely more suited to a middle 6 role on a good (and/or healthy) team.

Archibald's a great story and he works his tail off which is great but he's a 12/13 F on a good team, if he's even on it. With maybe a touch of 3rd line upside.

Joel Ward if we're lucky.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not dissimilar to how both Leip and Virtanen are presently playing on our '1st line' whereas both guys are likely more suited to a middle 6 role on a good (and/or healthy) team.

Archibald's a great story and he works his tail off which is great but he's a 12/13 F on a good team, if he's even on it. With maybe a touch of 3rd line upside.

The problem with your argument is it is hypothetical and cannot be proven one way or the other, and therefore it doesn't offer much.  The other problem is exactly what is a 12th or 13rd forward?   How would you define a 12th in terms of roles, time and points.  If you are categorizing then surely you need to have valid descriptors?      I don't think coaches or managers think in terms of well he is our 12th forward whatever that means?     

Why did you pick the the Joel Ward comparison?   Is that what popped in head?

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

The problem with your argument is it is hypothetical and cannot be proven one way or the other, and therefore it doesn't offer much.  The other problem is exactly what is a 12th or 13rd forward?   How would you define a 12th in terms of roles, time and points.  If you are categorizing then surely you need to have valid descriptors?      I don't think coaches or managers think in terms of well he is our 12th forward whatever that means?     

Why did you pick the the Joel Ward comparison?   Is that what popped in head?

Sure.

Banana.

Because Ward is a very close comparable to career trajectory and Archibald's (*cross your fingers*) upside, skill set etc.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure.

Banana.

Because Ward is a very close comparable to career trajectory and Archibald's (*cross your fingers*) upside, skill set etc.

well then he will be an expensive 12th/13th guy because Joel in his 3rd year in NHL signed a 4 year 12 million deal as I am sure you know.

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

well then he will be an expensive 12th/13th guy because Joel in his 3rd year in NHL signed a 4 year 12 million deal as I am sure you know.

If he becomes a 'Joel Ward', he won't be a 12/13 guy at that time. IMO, we're probably not that lucky.

3 hours ago, samurai said:

I provided facts that show you he isn't a 4th liner - roles like pk, shutdown, and key defensive situations, the substantial amount of ice time he gets as a result, not to mention his points and the only 'data' you bring is  kloubek thinks so, so it must be true.     I haven't even bothered with your '4th line' mistake.   Green, as most coaches say, they don't really think in terms 1st line, 2nd and so forth.  Nor that a 4th line should be a energy line.   It is a little more complicated than that.   If you go by time played last night Gagner, Goldy and Reid were the 4th line.   

Sigh.  It wasn't a mistake... As much as you want to save face that you cant read.  I never said he is currently playing on our 4th line.  I honestly had no idea what line he was on and that wasn't a consideration of my initial post whatsoever.  At the end of the day,  he's a 4th line player... you don't need to make it more complicated than that.  Sure he gets pk time. So does Eriksson... does that boost him up to the 2nd line when hes playing on the third? No... He didnt usually play on the top two lines because he wasn't playing good enough. Call it lines or call it attacking groups... whatever you want.  The fact is, players have linemates and Archibald is going to be largely placed with our least talented players so that the guys with higher talent can gel and score in bunches.

He will never be a top line player.  He won't maintain his recent production either.  Hes a physical guy who can chip in here and there and his role will be used as such, and those guys end up on your 4th line on a talented team.

You can say whatever you want, but in 2 years when we have a huge influx of talent for our top 3 lines, you'll see him get limited 5 on 5 and be used in a selective capacity.  And guess what line he will be on?  The f'n 4th.  Where he belongs.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I'd say you are dead on except for the comparison to Ward.  The guy is a truly legit 3rd line guy and I don't see quite that upside in Archibald.  

But yes... He is given an extended role right now due to injury and the fact that our season is basically over, so why not see what we have with our newest guys?

No doubt the fact they are all playing really well encourages Green to reward them with ice time too.  But when we have guys like Pettersson scoring a point a game on a regular basis, you go with the guys who get you the goals. Its just common sense.

To most of us, anyway....

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Sigh.  It wasn't a mistake... As much as you want to save face that you cant read.  I never said he is currently playing on our 4th line.  I honestly had no idea what line he was on and that wasn't a consideration of my initial post whatsoever.  At the end of the day,  he's a 4th line player... you don't need to make it more complicated than that.  Sure he gets pk time. So does Eriksson... does that boost him up to the 2nd line when hes playing on the third? No... He didnt usually play on the top two lines because he wasn't playing good enough. Call it lines or call it attacking groups... whatever you want.  The fact is, players have linemates and Archibald is going to be largely placed with our least talented players so that the guys with higher talent can gel and score in bunches.

He will never be a top line player.  He won't maintain his recent production either.  Hes a physical guy who can chip in here and there and his role will be used as such, and those guys end up on your 4th line on a talented team.

You can say whatever you want, but in 2 years when we have a huge influx of talent for our top 3 lines, you'll see him get limited 5 on 5 and be used in a selective capacity.  And guess what line he will be on?  The f'n 4th.  Where he belongs.

you are all over the place.  

22 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Darren Archibald sits down with CanucksTV for an exclusive interview where he discusses what it means to play 'the right way' and comments on his passion for playing the game in a big physical way.

The perfect Dorsett replacement, with more size. 

If Archie wants term, then I think he'll have to take less in dollar value.  If he wants dollars, then he'll have to take less in term.  My assumption is that management will deal with him like they did Biega, though Archie may draw more interest from other teams next summer then Biega would (having said that, I think Biega is a fine depth D and could definitely get interest from other teams).  Archie strikes me as a loyal guy so I don't see him bolting (assuming that the Canucks maintain interest).  Leaving means that he'll have to deal with a new coach, management, set of players, etc.

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Archie is our next unsung hero ... an up grade of sorts on Burrows.

An upgrade in a physical sense, yes, but he's not to the offensive level of Burr yet.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

An upgrade in a physical sense, yes, but he's not to the offensive level of Burr yet.

Yet.  Might prove to be the interesting word AJ,  he just got here.  This Summer and a good skating program .......?...

Hasn't gone one game yet since being signed without registering a hit.   Quietly has shown a very mature and polished two way game.  Hoping that with this added confidence of being able to stick in the show, he will start to assert himself more prominently in the physical department.  Would like to see him have a bit more snarl in his game.

Don't need him to fight but he has to start using that big frame to be more intimidating.  Could stand to have this team add some surrounding pieces.  Still firmly believe toughness has a greater accumulating effect when everyone plays the same mentality.   Will be interesting to see what JB does to help Archie carry the load going forward.

Archived