The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

On 6/29/2018 at 6:35 PM, Quantum said:

If Jim signs Beagle/Roussel like what's been rumored, I doubt Archibald is re-signed.

The Canucks probably hoped he'd cave and sign a two way deal by now but Archie clearly wants a one way. Some other team will sign him. And he'll probably get waived midseason by that team. At that point, the Canucks could sign him...

2 hours ago, canucklehead80 said:

Like the guy, but if he's "scooped up" it's not be on an NHL roster. He's 28 with 43 career NHL games. He'd be going to a team to be competition for younger players to beat out during camp. I wish him the best, but unfortunately it's most likely career AHLer with call up duty. Still not a bad living if you ask me.

I agree that if the Canucks sign Beagle or Roussel then Archie probably won't be re-signed -- at least not to the one-way NHL contract that he wants. The Canucks need someone who contributes to the physical game and is "hard to play against". If the Canucks fail to sign someone else, they will probably try to sign Archie in that role.

Canucklehead is probably right that there will not be much of a market for Archie. But I think he is under-rated. He did well with Sutter on shutdown and on the PK in last year's late run. He is not fast, but he has some skill and obviously his size, physical play, and solid defensive play are useful.

26 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I agree that if the Canucks sign Beagle or Roussel then Archie probably won't be re-signed -- at least not to the one-way NHL contract that he wants. The Canucks need someone who contributes to the physical game and is "hard to play against". If the Canucks fail to sign someone else, they will probably try to sign Archie in that role.

Canucklehead is probably right that there will not be much of a market for Archie. But I think he is under-rated. He did well with Sutter on shutdown and on the PK in last year's late run. He is not fast, but he has some skill and obviously his size, physical play, and solid defensive play are useful.

Archi has been a good soldier. Just like Biega, doesn't come across as angry etc when he's not playing, but when he gets his chance it's hard to question the heart and effort. The problem is that if this team is to continue to improve and grow, it doesn't just involve improving our top end skill. It also means improving our depth and role players. Despite having some good size and playing physical, we still need to improve our lineup from top to bottom, which includes our 4th line. Unfortunately, Archi seems to be getting squeezed out.

13 hours ago, JamesB said:

IMO the problem was that the team needed Archi to play physically but after a few games he basically disappeared in that aspect of his game. He is the reason he is not being brought back imo.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Scoop at the Benning presser -- sounds like Archibald has been re-signed.

Utica bound.  Will be a call up when one of the new guys gets injured.

Good for Utica, he plays well there and has a great following.

So has there been an official announcement of the Archibald signing?  Still nothing listed on Cap Friendly and I haven't seen anything directly from the Canucks or Comets.  Dhaliwal is usually spot on but the delay in any real announcement seems strange.

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

So has there been an official announcement of the Archibald signing?  Still nothing listed on Cap Friendly and I haven't seen anything directly from the Canucks or Comets.  Dhaliwal is usually spot on but the delay in any real announcement seems strange.

It took later than I thought for the Beagle, Schaller, and Roussel signings to be "official official".  Perhaps Benning prefers the old fashioned mail system over those newfangled fax machines.

• 1 month later...

You would think that, with the signings of Beagle, et al, Archie may not have a spot on the team. But, if you project his stats over a full season (4g5a in 27 games), then he actually outscored all three of the new guys (projected 12g15a=27p). The more I look at the signings, and bringing Archie back, the more I think that management is really trying to create a safe zone for new top six players like Petersson, Dahlen, Lind and maybe Gaudette. For  sure, most teams will have to think twice before trying to "intimidate" us, with the three new guys, along with Archie, Guddy and even Virt. It might be coming at the expense of players like Goldobin and Leipsig...but I'll take insurance to keep our top six clean over trying to let uncertain depth try to play, and have Boeser and Petersson targeted every game.

250k salary in Utica, 650k in Vancouver.  The last two years were really solid for Archibald, his previous years he had trouble making the Utica roster regularly and played a lot of games in Kalamazoo.  Like all players coming in to camp this year, where he ends up is mostly dependent on what he brings to camp this year.  Last year he made some decent coin with half of his games played being in the NHL

49 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

250k salary in Utica, 650k in Vancouver.  The last two years were really solid for Archibald, his previous years he had trouble making the Utica roster regularly and played a lot of games in Kalamazoo.  Like all players coming in to camp this year, where he ends up is mostly dependent on what he brings to camp this year.  Last year he made some decent coin with half of his games played being in the NHL

Where he ends up has nothing to do with what he brings to camp this year.......it has everything to do with how healthy the other guys are this year.

On 2018-08-22 at 8:13 AM, Hutton Wink said:

He'll clear waivers and be available as replacement for the likes of the UFA wingers should they get injured.

Could see him get recalled as 13th F should we move a few guys (as well as injuries). But until those things happen... welcome back to Utica Archie. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Sestito, Dorset And even Kassian were all scarier than all tree of those guys combined.  Cutting any players under the age of 25 for a guy like Archibald isn't a great idea.  He didn't show enough last year

Not sure why you made the comparison.... Sestito is a goon that can't skate or fight... Dorsett was awesome but didn't offer the size, Kassian is not a 4th liner.

Look at how much Archie makes and his point production last season and tell me if he is still not good enough for the role.

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Sestito, Dorset And even Kassian were all scarier than all tree of those guys combined.  Cutting any players under the age of 25 for a guy like Archibald isn't a great idea.  He didn't show enough last year

Sestito was scary? Dorsett was a spitfire on the ice, and would willingly throw them down, but he was far more useful in an agitating role (proven by his ability to frazzle McDavid), and Kassian is so inconsistent that he's really only a threat half the time.

Realistically though, this conversation should only involve Kassian as the other two players are retired. Beagle is a far better player than Kassian, and could skate circles around him, not needing to waste time fighting him. Schaller is tougher than you think, and would have no issue going toe to toe with Kassian. Archibald, while fairly inconsistent, could probably hold his own as well.

Archived