The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

15 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Who else thinks Archie would be a much better fit on our 4th line than Leipsic or Gaunce or Granlund?? 

Schaller - Beagle - Archibald will be our best no nonsense line since we last saw Lapierre and Torres wearing our jerseys!! 

I like Archie but he has far less potential than all of these guys and has failed to bring it every game. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sestito was scary? Dorsett was a spitfire on the ice, and would willingly throw them down, but he was far more useful in an agitating role (proven by his ability to frazzle McDavid), and Kassian is so inconsistent that he's really only a threat half the time.

Realistically though, this conversation should only involve Kassian as the other two players are retired. Beagle is a far better player than Kassian, and could skate circles around him, not needing to waste time fighting him. Schaller is tougher than you think, and would have no issue going toe to toe with Kassian. Archibald, while fairly inconsistent, could probably hold his own as well.

I've mentioned it before but Archie is a great spare forward to have with us this year. He fills a need. Plus I think he plays harder and nastier if he doesn't play a full season. He's our forward version of Biega. First few games back in the line up they both play hard and physical, but after a few games they start to sizzle out a bit. I think it would benefit Archies game to just play say 40-50 games instead of a full season. This will hopefully maximize the affect of our Archie cannon :) 

Realistically I don't know how he makes this line up tho. There is just so much talent knocking on the door. But I think he does have a leg up on the youngsters in the sense that they won't "ruin" his development if he sits half the year as a spare forward. There will be injuries to the top end of our line up as the season goes on, the kids will get call up chances for sure as the year moves along.

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yes Sestito was scary, he's 6'5 and he's unpredictable.

He wasn't really that imposing unless your name was Martin Hanzal. He stood up for his teammates and played by the code. I'd say Tommy was an honorable player who could thrown down, but he didn't necessarily instill fear into the hearts of other players.

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Scarier than Beagle, Schaller and Archie that's a for sure.  Kassian is an unpredictable scary guy as well, he broke Gagner's jaw by swinging his stick around.  

Breaking a player's jaw with an errant stick isn't scary, it's stupid. He does that again, he's going to be suspended for a considerable amount of time.

I don't think that any of the aforementioned Canucks are wary of Kassian, as all are pretty much the same size as him, and have thrown down with the likes of Asham (who knocked Beagle out cold, but was a truly fearsome enforcer), and Gudbranson (Schaller managed himself admirably).

If the conversation was referring to the team from 4 years ago, I'd say that the majority of the roster might be a tad more tentative to tussle with Kassian, but now? Hell no.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Stupidity is scarier than anything, that's my point.  He's broken jaws, he's hit guys from behind and he's been in plenty of fights.  In todays NHL these guys are some of the scary ones

I think the Canucks have got the Kassian issue covered.

3oriO9FGbVFht54JkA.gif

Just now, The 5th Line said:

When Sestito was on the ice, opponents would be checking over their shoulders I can promise you that 

While I'm a fan of Tommy, he's gone.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

So... Any bets on whether Archie survives the last round of cuts to get the roster down to 23?? I'm thinking he is going to be waived in hopes of sending him to Utica. Another question is who is going with him??

My guess is it's Gagner or Granlund. I'd probably bet on Granny more than Gagner since I think management sees Gagner as better offensively.

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

My guess is it's Gagner or Granlund. I'd probably bet on Granny more than Gagner since I think management sees Gagner as better offensively.

I have a feeling that you're right, AJ. I think Green sees the need for size on the line up which doesn't have a lot, and even though Archie has troubles with consistency, when he's on, he's a wrecking ball out there. That does make a difference in a game.

Neither Gagner or Granlund possess that, and both are kind of middling NHL players. Gagner is the more seasoned vet, so he'll probably be the NHL roster placeholder until Gaudette arrives. That would mean Granlund would get waived and probably picked up.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Darren Archibald | RW/LW
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought that Archibald looked very good in his +/- 10min against Detroit. Had two nice scoring chances. Have not been a huge fan, as I feel he is a 1/4 step too slow, but he was doing a great job of screening the goalie whenever he was on the ice. Hope to see more of the same from him.

On 2018-09-18 at 12:30 AM, The 5th Line said:

Sestito, Dorset And even Kassian were all scarier than all tree of those guys combined.  Cutting any players under the age of 25 for a guy like Archibald isn't a great idea.  He didn't show enough last year

I don’t know about that, he had 4 goals 5 assists in 27 games on the fourth line - over 82 games, that’s about 12 goals 15 assists - not bad production for a fourth liner - and not at all bad defensively.  And that is consistent with his Utica production at about twice that rate.  This year, in two games he has a goal.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

As are Boucher and Biega.

Probably, although less so than Archie.

Boucher, while ~3.5 years younger than Arch, has a much more proven track record in the NHL and has accumulated more games played.

And Biega has certainly proven himself to be a pretty solid #8D in the NHL. He’s comfortable in the spare role and always seems to give it his all when he comes into the lineup. Can’t really ask more of your spare players. Obviously, in the AHL, he’s a cornerstone defender and captain material, while in the NHL, he really shouldn’t play unless there are injuries.

I’d say Biega and Boucher are at least guys that you could see other NHL teams employing as depth players, while Archie, much as I like him, hasn’t really proven that he’s worth more than an occasional cup of coffee in the bigs, before his play kinda peters out and deserves to be demoted again.

EDIT: Archibald is a great AHL guy though, and I’m sure the Comets love getting him back. I believe he’s known as “The Mayor” down in Utica.

Archived