The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

Brouwer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Torres

200+hits and he can actually score

All rivalry aside I think he's a very versatile player that can help us tremendously.

Yeah, you're right and I know hockey players got to be professional but sometimes there is a line. There are some situations where this doesn't work. Like Neely playing for the Habs say, or Yzerman going to Colorado. That's like all these guys that wanted us to trade for Bufuglien. I'd feel cheap if we had to stoop to taking their players in order to beat them.

Would Brouwer really want to play for the Canucks? Torres to the Hawks? I think not but ... I've been wrong before many many times.

Yeah, you're right and I know hockey players got to be professional but sometimes there is a line. There are some situations where this doesn't work. Like Neely playing for the Habs say, or Yzerman going to Colorado. That's like all these guys that wanted us to trade for Bufuglien. I'd feel cheap if we had to stoop to taking their players in order to beat them.

Would Brouwer really want to play for the Canucks? Torres to the Hawks? I think not but ... I've been wrong before many many times.

I see what you're saying but Brouwer isn't really that "iconic" to have that kind of impact, ie. Chelios to Detroit

At the end of the day there's a good chance he'll re-sign with the Hawks, but being a BC boy and all he might just come play for us if given the chance.

I see what you're saying but Brouwer isn't really that "iconic" to have that kind of impact, ie. Chelios to Detroit

At the end of the day there's a good chance he'll re-sign with the Hawks, but being a BC boy and all he might just come play for us if given the chance.

If we were to pursue him and show interest I think he would definitely consider coming. If he is heads and tails above everyone else than I think MG would do if for the betterment of the club. However, all thing being equal there are 28 other teams out there that wouldn't require a shocking transferrence of allegience. Having said that definitely a great asset to have.

It just seems to me this is a move that would be made to spite the Hawks, or fill a childhood desire to play for the Canucks, which I've never heard of. It would be kind of awkward as just an average everyday hockey move.

There also seems to be a lack of motivation as Brouwer has already won a cup with the Hawks. By going to his rival only winning a cup would be considered a success.

If we were to pursue him and show interest I think he would definitely consider coming. If he is heads and tails above everyone else than I think MG would do if for the betterment of the club. However, all thing being equal there are 28 other teams out there that wouldn't require a shocking transferrence of allegience. Having said that definitely a great asset to have.

It just seems to me this is a move that would be made to spite the Hawks, or fill a childhood desire to play for the Canucks, which I've never heard of. It would be kind of awkward as just an average everyday hockey move.

There also seems to be a lack of motivation as Brouwer has already won a cup with the Hawks. By going to his rival only winning a cup would be considered a success.

It's still a competitive sport. You do whatever you can to have the best possible team

Brouwer's a good role player. If he isn't given a contract renewal by the Hawks I'm sure he'll be happy to have a contract no matter what team it's from. As a kid he probably grew up cheering for the Canucks. If I were in his shoes I'd be a dream come true for me.

And the Canucks are slowly building a winning franchise here, pretty hard to resist.

It's still a competitive sport. You do whatever you can to have the best possible team

Brouwer's a good role player. If he isn't given a contract renewal by the Hawks I'm sure he'll be happy to have a contract no matter what team it's from. As a kid he probably grew up cheering for the Canucks. If I were in his shoes I'd be a dream come true for me.

And the Canucks are slowly building a winning franchise here, pretty hard to resist.

I agree, however, he is a real quality role player. With us against the cap I can't see us being able to offer him more than others unless we specfically target him. Having said I really haven't thought about who else will be out there this offseason that satisfies that role.

For me as a fan it would suck in the beginning but I'm sure I'd get used to it. Although I never did get used to Messier, but then again he sucked! :)

Could've suited up today but instead Noel put in Connauton at LW frantics.gif

seemed to work, considering they pulled out a win.

Kevin up front opens all sorts of interesting possibilities.

I doubt Darren will be doing much playing this post season. he's there on more of an observant role until he comes up to speed in practices.

• 1 month later...

Darren Archibald's baby face is gone and so is the beanpole body. In fact, he looks like he could be quite comfortable skating onto the ice for an NHL game some time soon. He's big enough to cause some damage, too.

A six-foot-three, 210 pounds, Archibald fits nicely among the best prospects in an organization which admittedly wasn't just looking for the best player in last month's draft. The Canucks were looking for the biggest, best player. They got Nicklas Jensen in the first round, Alexandre Grenier in the third and Joseph Labate in the fourth. All of them are forwards and all of them are at least six-foot-three.

They are all probably several years away from making an impact and as such they are part of a plan to change the look of the Canucks for future. Archibald, however, thinks he can bring his size, skill and youth to the NHL table much sooner.

"I am going to come to camp and I'm going to show them everything I have," Archibald said. "For me, I know I'm going to have to be a role player right now. So, I'm going to come in the fall, crash and bang and hopefully use my size to my advantage."

He's got the body for it.

"He's a really skilled kid with a big, NHL body," said Dave Gagner, the Canucks director of player development. "Physically, he's ready. But he has to learn to play at the pace and the urgency that pro players play with. In junior, you can get away with lackadaisical days. But not here. He's going to have to learn to compete at a high level every day."

After an OHL season in which he scored 51 goals, including 10 in 14 playoff games, Archibald has climbed near the top of the list of the Canucks' best prospects.

Archibald's first goal, however, will be to make it to main training camp in Vancouver in September. His next, will be to leave a strong enough impression that he'll get the opportunity to play some NHL games some time in the next year.

"But I've been taking baby steps my whole life and I don't want to rush into it if I'm not ready to make that big step," Archibald said. "I don't want to come up and struggle. I want to be ready to play."

The 21-year-old goal scorer with the mean streak is something of a late bloomer. Just three years ago he finished playing tier II for a good, heavily scouted team in Stouffville. Two of his teammates, Corey Trivino and Ethan Werek, were drafted in early rounds. Archibald was not, passed over in each of his draft-eligible years.

"I knew it wasn't the end of the world," Archibald said.

He's been proven right. Not long after he participated in last year's training camp with the Detroit Red Wings, Archibald, as an OHL free agent, signed an entry level deal with the Canucks.

It didn't take him long to feel a part of the organization. When his OHL season ended, he joined the Manitoba Moose and then had the chance with other prospects to come to Vancouver for a couple of playoff games, one against Nashville and another against San Jose. It meant a lot. So much, that when it came to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final, he felt he couldn't miss it.

He flew with his mother on their own for that final game against the Boston Bruins.

"I just wanted to be here for that moment," he said. "My mom had never been out here and we saw it as a once-in-a-lifetime thing."

It was, but for all the wrong reasons. Archibald and his mother were staying at hotel on Granville and made the long walk back through the riot after the game.

"We were very shocked," he said. "It took a couple hours to get back to the the hotel.

"You just couldn't move. There were fires and vandals. It was really disappointing. There were a lot of kids who were not making smart decisions."

Archibald is not without questions. Both Columbus and Detroit invited him to NHL camps and passed on opportunities to sign him. Also, one of the first YouTube clips of him you'll find in a search is vicious body check on an unsuspecting goalie behind the net.

"It's not something I'm proud of," he said. "It was just the heat of the moment. They were after our goalie all series. That's not really my style of game at all.

"That was a one time thing for me."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Archibald+looking+make+impact+Canucks+prospect/5067618/story.html

From that interview he sounds very down to earth. Can't wait to see him in camp. Probably won't make the team this year, but stranger things have happend.

glass and bolduc are gone, leaving only Lapierre and oreo on our 4th, archie might be able to fit in the 4th while raymond and sammy heal (nothing's certain about sammy being ready by the start of the season), but probably no room until next season.

Guest Dasein

i think this guy is going to have a bigger impact on the team then people think

i see him as "our " pest

burrows could only go so far because he's a valuable first line player and a penalty killer

i could see archibald getting under the skin of anyone he plays

His physicality and getting under the skin of opposing players does not need development - he can just turn on the button and be that pest any time he wants to. In the mean while, send him down to the AHL to develop his defensive game and offensive instincts as a 2nd line winger. Let him play whistle to whistle and focus on developing his skills.

Then, bring him up to play the 4th line winger in the playoffs - he'll turn on his "pest' switch and be a wrecking ball that will have sound defensive game due to being developed in the AHL the right way and also have an offensive touch and a nose for the net to go along with his game.

That's the best case scenario I see playing out this season for Archibald.

Did Archibald play on the PK in Niagara? If so, that would fit right in with a lot of other prospects like Anthony, Friesen and Grenier who play a two-way game while also possessing skill of their own. We've sorely needed some size in the system to go along with skill, and this year we seem to finally be addressing that.

Guest Dasein

Did Archibald play on the PK in Niagara? If so, that would fit right in with a lot of other prospects like Anthony, Friesen and Grenier who play a two-way game while also possessing skill of their own. We've sorely needed some size in the system to go along with skill, and this year we seem to finally be addressing that.

Yeah he killed penalties in the OHL.

But so did Cody Hodgson - in fact he was the 1st unit PK for WJC Team Canada - and this kid doesn't kill penalties for us so...

World of difference between juniors and pros. I hope Archibald gets some PK time though. Same with Hodgson.

If Hodgson makes the team and gets some time on the PK, it would certainly free up Kesler from PK duties (3 centers, Manny, Hodgson and Lapierre that can kill penalties) and to focus 100% on offense. The Sedins killed penalties until a hotshot prospect named Ryan Kesler was called up from the AHL and began killing penalties, allowing the Sedins to focus more on offense as 2nd liners. I expect Hodgson to give Kesler the similar kind of freedom.

Yeah he killed penalties in the OHL.

But so did Cody Hodgson - in fact he was the 1st unit PK for WJC Team Canada - and this kid doesn't kill penalties for us so...

World of difference between juniors and pros. I hope Archibald gets some PK time though. Same with Hodgson.

If Hodgson makes the team and gets some time on the PK, it would certainly free up Kesler from PK duties (3 centers, Manny, Hodgson and Lapierre that can kill penalties) and to focus 100% on offense. The Sedins killed penalties until a hotshot prospect named Ryan Kesler was called up from the AHL and began killing penalties, allowing the Sedins to focus more on offense as 2nd liners. I expect Hodgson to give Kesler the similar kind of freedom.

I see. I agree it'd be nice to see Cody start to take on some of the defensive duties too, hopefully under Manny's tutelage.

Archived