The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

Got 1 goal in the first game on his first shot and has gone pointless since then.

(13 games/1 goals/1 points/-2).

I'm really surprised with his lack of production. I thought with the way he was rolling at the end of his last OHL season, he would carry that confidence right through to the AHL and dominate.

He's clearly got the size and skill, but maybe he just doesn't have the hustle. I would at least hope that MacT is using him as a screen on the powerplay.

Anyone know who his linemates are?

I'm really surprised with his lack of production. I thought with the way he was rolling at the end of his last OHL season, he would carry that confidence right through to the AHL and dominate.

He's clearly got the size and skill, but maybe he just doesn't have the hustle. I would at least hope that MacT is using him as a screen on the powerplay.

Anyone know who his linemates are?

He looked confident in pre-season too, and then he scored that goal. I think after he didn't keep scoring after a couple games he probably lost his confidence. Pro can be a big adjustment for some players.

• 3 weeks later...

This kid was not ready for a full pro season against men.

Steven Anthony is doing well there--hopefully Archibald will get to play with him and develop some chemistry/confidence and start playing some good hockey again.

This kid was not ready for a full pro season against men.

Steven Anthony is doing well there--hopefully Archibald will get to play with him and develop some chemistry/confidence and start playing some good hockey again.

Yep. Being big and strong in junior =/= mean your strong in the pros.

Hopefully he can refine his game in the ECHL.

I do have to agree with the above poster, there was no real reason why MG had to sign him to an NHL contract. He could have easily just asked the Wolves or the Wings to send him a contract, so he'll still remain indirectly a part of the Canucks organization. Guys like Burrows and Rypien only had minor-pro contracts before making to the NHL.

Gillis needs to stop wasting ammo on the likes of Archibald, Schneider, Anthony, Tochkin, Andersson, Ellington, Erixon et al.. He only has so many contract bullets in the chamber and he ought to start reserving them for guys who have an actual chance to play someday.

Archibald was a free signing. Didn't cost us a draft pick. It was worth the gamble for a big bodied power forward like him. He may still work out too.

Tochkin, Erixon, and Schneider were all also free signings.

Anthony was a 7th round pick and Andersson was a 5th round pick.

Ellington was never given a contract by Gillis, he was a Nonis signing.

All of these guys are long shots, Gillis is well aware of that. He's not gonna be afraid to hand out contracts though. Contracts can always be moved if they don't work out. The more young prospects in your pool at one time the better your odds of developing an NHLer. If just one of them works out, it will be considered a success.

Archibald was a free signing. Didn't cost us a draft pick. It was worth the gamble for a big bodied power forward like him. He may still work out too.

Tochkin, Erixon, and Schneider were all also free signings.

Anthony was a 7th round pick and Andersson was a 5th round pick.

Ellington was never given a contract by Gillis, he was a Nonis signing.

All of these guys are long shots, Gillis is well aware of that. He's not gonna be afraid to hand out contracts though. Contracts can always be moved if they don't work out. The more young prospects in your pool at one time the better your odds of developing an NHLer. If just one of them works out, it will be considered a success.

If Ellington was a long shot we shouldn't be wasting 2nd round picks on longshots. I thought the whole idea behind Ellington is he was a "safe" pick. Nonis should have gone after Subban who went 10 spots later. Proof the safe pick isn't always the best pick.

Gillis needs to stop wasting ammo on the likes of Archibald, Schneider, Anthony, Tochkin, Andersson, Ellington, Erixon et al.. He only has so many contract bullets in the chamber and he ought to start reserving them for guys who have an actual chance to play someday.

I really don't mind the signing of Archibald, Anthony or Erixon. Archibald and Anthony are both huge competitors and Anthony has shown that he's willing to change his game in order to continue progressing. Erixon in preseason at least seemed extremely calm and reliable. I see him as a dark horse to make the team next year especially is Salo retires.

The Schneider signing I'd definitely agree with you though. There are oodles of players who can fill bottom six roles for minimal money. I don't see why we need to get a project who MIGHT fill that role at some point. Tochkin as well was someone I never really had too much faith in....

That all being said, having more young players developing is never a bad thing. As Burrows can tell you, a great work ethic can get you places. Let's just hope these guys will all show us that they're ready and willing to do what it takes.

I really don't mind the signing of Archibald, Anthony or Erixon. Archibald and Anthony are both huge competitors and Anthony has shown that he's willing to change his game in order to continue progressing. Erixon in preseason at least seemed extremely calm and reliable. I see him as a dark horse to make the team next year especially is Salo retires.

The Schneider signing I'd definitely agree with you though. There are oodles of players who can fill bottom six roles for minimal money. I don't see why we need to get a project who MIGHT fill that role at some point. Tochkin as well was someone I never really had too much faith in....

That all being said, having more young players developing is never a bad thing. As Burrows can tell you, a great work ethic can get you places. Let's just hope these guys will all show us that they're ready and willing to do what it takes.

I hope not.

If the player doesn't pan out, waive and release. It's not like the No. 1 overall pick was invested in one of them. With these guys, another team could snap them up, and could be a problem if they turn into a major factor.

Gillis signed Walsky and Oberg out of the NCAA and moved them later on.

sent down to kalamazo , i hope he works hard down there

i thought he was already there because they had his pic in his profile but it looks to be photoshopped badly

http://www.kwings.com/playerDetail.php?Darren-Archibald-44

And some people thought he was a lock for the fourth line in Vancouver this year... Some even wanted him on the second line with Kes... Guess I was right

Archived