The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

sure hoping the "PFs take longer to develop" explanation holds true for him and Anthony... both were so touted when they were picked up and Darren played well with Jensen in the prospects games earlier on in the season, sure hope that pairing (with Darren and Jensen) with Cody is an image of a big, smart, skilled, powerful scoring line in this team's not-too-distant future!

sure hoping the "PFs take longer to develop" explanation holds true for him and Anthony... both were so touted when they were picked up and Darren played well with Jensen in the prospects games earlier on in the season, sure hope that pairing (with Darren and Jensen) with Cody is an image of a big, smart, skilled, powerful scoring line in this team's not-too-distant future!

So touted by whom exactly? An undrafted player and a 7th rounder don't often come in with extremely high expectations. I think you're mistaking optimism for expectations.

In saying that, I still have faith that at least one of them will turn out. I personally actually have more faith in Anthony than Archibald but that's just gut feeling as much as anything :P

Archibald was undrafted, played in the OHL as an overage and went to two camps (Columbus and Detroit) prior to being signed by the Canucks. I would say that he is the antithesis of "highly touted". More like anything they get out of him is a huge bonus.

He seems to be putting up some numbers in the E so maybe he will get another crack at the A later this season.

This season is a little discouraging but not really surprising. The scouts don't miss much. Not many undrafted guys make a big impact. Obvious Canucks examples excluded!

So touted by whom exactly? An undrafted player and a 7th rounder don't often come in with extremely high expectations. I think you're mistaking optimism for expectations.

Anthony was highly touted during the QMJHL Draft, with scouts saying he had the talent to go far. Then he went to the Sea Dogs and pretty much got his development ruined by the head coach (Beaulieu?) who ended up getting fired.

Anthony was highly touted during the QMJHL Draft, with scouts saying he had the talent to go far. Then he went to the Sea Dogs and pretty much got his development ruined by the head coach (Beaulieu?) who ended up getting fired.

I was aware of this but by the time he actually became Canucks property they weren't exactly heralding this guy as the next Joe Thorton.

On a related note though, both are doing pretty well for themselves in the ECHL, putting up about .75 PPG between the two of them. I'm actually quite pleased by this. Here's hoping they can build off this and actually be consistent plays for the Wolves next year. I could actually see Archibald getting some call ups this year, even. Very encouraging :)

Cool to see Archi finally shook whatever was bothering him. 12 points in 14 games in the ECHL now, the Wolves have a lot of extra skaters though, so it might be a while before he gets a call-up.

wolves have 8 extras. it's gonna be a while. :emot-parrot:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know...haven't seen this guy play in person or anything...but from the youtube clips out there, and the few pre-season games he played at our camp, I thought he wasn't very good. He's playing well in a league with guys that are younger, smaller and slower than him. What's impressive about this guy? Honest question. We can't all be talking about this guy because he's got size...

I don't know...haven't seen this guy play in person or anything...but from the youtube clips out there, and the few pre-season games he played at our camp, I thought he wasn't very good. He's playing well in a league with guys that are younger, smaller and slower than him. What's impressive about this guy? Honest question. We can't all be talking about this guy because he's got size...

He's big, he's got soft hands, and he's got a mean streak. The only thing missing right now is a good work ethic, which he will have to learn if he wants to get back into the AHL, and then into the NHL.

Anytime a player can do that in a game, it's pretty impressive no matter what league it's in. The guy definitely has confidence.

younger? you do know the ECHL is full of players 20 and up, right? it's the same age level as the AHL. and a lot of them are bigger. he may be faster than them, and he sure is more talented, but smaller and younger they are not. Archi might turn into a good bottom six for us in the future, maybe better. people are talking about him because he has the potential to be a good power forward for us in the future, and cost us nothing but a contract slot to sign.

Archived