The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

Archbald was given a chance in fact he's had a couple of chances with Chicago. If I can assume he's given his best then my initial hopes for the guy is fading. If he can't hold down a position in the AHL his chances in the NHL looking pretty slim

His first 20 games were bad, and now when he's playing well you say this? He is holding down a position in the AHL, he's having a good season. If you watch the games you can tell he's improved.

edit: first 20 games as in last season.

Playing well ? 9 goals in 36 games 33PIM's He scored 5 of those goals ( if I recall correctly ) in the first 6 games. He's scored the next 4 goals in the last 30 games, that's hot ? He's 23 years old

How low can we set our target.

comparing that output to 20 games with only a goal the season before is difinitely an inmprovement. undrafted prospect who is going to require patience and developement. How high are you setting your standard for a player in those circumstances? Also, his last 4 goals have been since mid february, his season has been up and down but by the end it will be a big jump from where he was last year. and thats all we can ask for.

comparing that output to 20 games with only a goal the season before is difinitely an inmprovement. undrafted prospect who is going to require patience and developement. How high are you setting your standard for a player in those circumstances? Also, his last 4 goals have been since mid february, his season has been up and down but by the end it will be a big jump from where he was last year. and thats all we can ask for.

He's not a kid and you can't keep trying to force a situation, you have to know ( that's why we have Pro scouts ) to say enough. He's been better this year than last when he spent the sntire season in the ECHL and he might be doing enough to play in the AHL but he's not showing enough for the NHL. I'll say this I liked what he brought when he was signed, but he can't play the same game in the AHL as he did as an overage junior...intimidation presence. More than most I'd like to see him succeed but to do that at the NHL level first he has to dominate at the AHL level

He's not a kid and you can't keep trying to force a situation, you have to know ( that's why we have Pro scouts ) to say enough. He's been better this year than last when he spent the sntire season in the ECHL and he might be doing enough to play in the AHL but he's not showing enough for the NHL. I'll say this I liked what he brought when he was signed, but he can't play the same game in the AHL as he did as an overage junior...intimidation presence. More than most I'd like to see him succeed but to do that at the NHL level first he has to dominate at the AHL level

in terms of professional athletes, he is still a kid.  And its his 2nd professional season.  They aren't forcing a situation, this is his first year with a place on the team.  Your right saying he can't play the same game as in junior.  And thats the point of playing in the AHL, to develope.  He's working on his game and as with ALL prospects, we'll see how far he can go.  There is no reason at this point to say 'enough'. prospects dont't have to show they are NHL ready as soon as they start playing pro. if they show progress thats all we can really ask for.

Archibald had an apparently awesome game tonight on a line with Schroeder and Davies, hard shot, hard checks, kept pace well and was a force in the offensive end.

Hey that's great let's hope he doesn't just become a good AHL player like Davies, but I have my doubts. Let's have some honesty here he couldn't make the Chicago team last season, he played in the ECHL, this is his second Pro season only because unlike others he stayed in junior as an overage player. It would be great if he became a genuine power forward, it's what I thought when they signed him. But he has to separate himself from the others including the AHL lifers. I'll say this it will be a tough call

• 1 month later...

He's since deleted the tweet... wonder if he was told to. Although News1130 had already tweeted this much earlier:

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports 7h

2 players flying into Vancouver today to join the #Canucks are Nicklas Jensen and Darren Archibald

...so its not like there's a need for secrecy.

The Canucks probably wanna release the news themselves. But in the age of twitter it's almost impossible to keep this information a secret.

I think it's safe to assume that Schroeder will be flying in shortly too. Vandermeer and Sauve or Polasek as well.

I understand Weise or his agent have big dreams regarding a new contract, not sure if it will include Vcr though. He's a RFA good luck

if we could get any kind of compensation pick for weise, i'm in.

• 1 month later...

Does Archibald still qualify for the Prospects Tourney ? It would be nice to see if he's improved much and can be considered a genuine prospect. The team doesn't need more goons they need more big bodied players that just enjoy mixing it up during the game. A beligerent attitude. The officials ain't calling much any more. The need more than ever for more player who can play that role and still play the game

Does Archibald still qualify for the Prospects Tourney ? It would be nice to see if he's improved much and can be considered a genuine prospect. The team doesn't need more goons they need more big bodied players that just enjoy mixing it up during the game. A beligerent attitude. The officials ain't calling much any more. The need more than ever for more player who can play that role and still play the game

He might be there, he's only attended one, right?

Archived