The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't get to watch the game too closely, thoughts on how Archibald looked on his first outing?

Wasn't really noticable, that can be looked at as good or bad. At least he didn't do anything so bad he got noticed and I don't think anyone expected him to make much of a difference offensively so his game could be looked at as a good game. I wasn't specifically trying to follow him though.

I didn't get to watch the game too closely, thoughts on how Archibald looked on his first outing?

1st game and limited minutes against a top NHL team and he didn't look out of place. Played strong along the boards and set up a couple of scoring chances. Showed that he has some tenacity and didn't shy away from STL's big players. IMO I think the coaches were happy with his play and hopefully can encourage more confidence and continued physical play from him.

If he can keep it up I see him as that physical but strong on the puck 4th liner the line up needs

I don't think he looked that great in his first game, he probably has butterflies since it is first NHL hockey game. He looked slow, made some turnovers. I still think he needs 1-2 years in the AHL, move him up and down from the NHL to AHL then transition him permanently to the NHL.

Relative corsi of 15 is great, especially compared to Pelletier at -42, Dalpe at -56. QOC was also right in the middle, so he didn't play super easy minutes.

I would love Archibald to be a Jordan Nolan type of player. Young, big, physical, with some offensive upside.

Jordan Nolan

6'3, 227lbs

24 yrs

best junior season: 23 goals, 48 points in 49 games

best ahl season: 9 goals, 22 points in 40 games

Darren Archibald

6'3, 212 lbs

23 yrs

best junior season: 41 goals, 66 points in 61 games

best ahl season: 12 goals, 22 points in 55 games

Close in age, size, style of play, and from the OHL. Nolan was a 7th round pick, Archibald undrafted. Nolan adjusted a bit better to pro hockey but Archibald could just be a year behind.

He was noticeable on just about every shift, he moved the puck, ran over a few people on the forecheck and got some chances on net

Loved the fact that he wasn't running around trying to make hits that weren't necessarily there. He does have hands. He can move the puck and can crash the net. Pretty impressive with Archibald, Sestito and Kassian all suited up for the Blues game. All these players + Santorelli, Richardson, Welsh and Weise are either 200 pounds or close to it. Gillis is upping the weight factor on this roster. It has to take pressure off players like Burrows to play the hitter.

I don't think he looked that great in his first game, he probably has butterflies since it is first NHL hockey game. He looked slow, made some turnovers. I still think he needs 1-2 years in the AHL, move him up and down from the NHL to AHL then transition him permanently to the NHL.

Nobody on the Canucks seems to impress you. This is an undrafted 23 year old that is playing his first NHL game. He's not out there to do anything flashy so by him not making any mistakes, getting a few chances in the offensive end and playing a physical game against one of the toughest teams in the league is quite impressive.

I think you need to go watch some Buffalo or Florida games for a while and then come back and watch the Canucks and maybe you'll realize just what we have here in Vancouver.

Nobody on the Canucks seems to impress you. This is an undrafted 23 year old that is playing his first NHL game. He's not out there to do anything flashy so by him not making any mistakes, getting a few chances in the offensive end and playing a physical game against one of the toughest teams in the league is quite impressive.

I think you need to go watch some Buffalo or Florida games for a while and then come back and watch the Canucks and maybe you'll realize just what we have here in Vancouver.

He looked even better last night even if only 5 minutes of ice. He is playing a pretty smart game. Erroring on the side of caution as he adjusts to the NHL pace. I don't see him sticking simply because he does not have enough AHL time to work on his defensive game. He certainly seems to have impressed the coaches.

Absolutely hammered a pinching Mike Green last night.

Making the most of his ice time and creating energy for the team.

That was a great hit.

I hope when Booth returns, we keep Archibald around a little bit longer. I'd rather have a fourth line of just forwards put together instead of always throwing a defenseman in there and playing them 4 minutes per night.

I would like Archibald to stick. Played an overage year in junior with two years in pro. It is not that he is too goo for the AHL, I just think he is better off acclimating himself has a 4th line NHL player capable of playing 8-10 minutes per night VS playing 18-20 minutes per night in a top 6 role in the AHL.

Archived