The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm concerned that we'll spend assets on acquiring a physical forward when Archie might end up filling that role anyways.

Agreed.

He's clearly a favorite of Green's and he is cheap + he brings the physicality the Canucks need.

If I'm being honest, I'm surprised that when they signed him this season, they didnt give Archibald a two year deal. That was a headscratching move because I doubt Archibald goes anywhere despite being a pending UFA.

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm concerned that we'll spend assets on acquiring a physical forward when Archie might end up filling that role anyways.

Archie is a good fit for the 4th line, but I do think if the idea is to have a more physical team another bigger guy who can score in the top six wouldn't hurt.

19 hours ago, Quantum said:

Agreed.

He's clearly a favorite of Green's and he is cheap + he brings the physicality the Canucks need.

If I'm being honest, I'm surprised that when they signed him this season, they didnt give Archibald a two year deal. That was a headscratching move because I doubt Archibald goes anywhere despite being a pending UFA.

What's wrong with giving him a 1 year deal that provides him the opportunity to show you what he can really do before you give him more term?

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

What's wrong with giving him a 1 year deal that provides him the opportunity to show you what he can really do before you give him more term?

There was no way that Archibald was going to get more than a one year deal. :rolleyes: I think he is putting a strong case forward to getting another contract which will again be 1 year. If he plays a whole season next year at the level he is now he will get more than one year. 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:51 AM, Sean Monahan said:

There's nothing wrong with it. It just seems like a given that Archibald is probably going to be re-signed this offseason. Would have thought locking him now with a two year deal (which is really only a year and a half) would be easier than having to negotiate with him, again, in the offseason. I just don't see him going anywhere, that's all. And worst case scenario, he sticks around Utica as a leader while still on an NHL contract ala guys like: Pascal Pelletier, Brendan DeFazio, Bobby Sanguietti, Chad Billins, etc in the past...

The path they're on with him is fine, though. I like Archie a lot. Glad he's on the team. His style of play is sorely needed on the Canucks.

10 minutes ago, Quantum said:

It just seems like a given that Archibald is probably going to be re-signed this offseason.

I think it does now, but that’s after the handful of games he’s played with the big club. I don’t think it was so certain prior to his promotion. Heck, if he tails off down the stretch here he may not get an NHL contract (though I don’t see that happening). I think the one year deal was a smart move. 

15 hours ago, Quantum said:

There's nothing wrong with it. It just seems like a given that Archibald is probably going to be re-signed this offseason. Would have thought locking him now with a two year deal (which is really only a year and a half) would be easier than having to negotiate with him, again, in the offseason. I just don't see him going anywhere, that's all. And worst case scenario, he sticks around Utica as a leader while still on an NHL contract ala guys like: Pascal Pelletier, Brendan DeFazio, Bobby Sanguietti, Chad Billins, etc in the past...

The path they're on with him is fine, though. I like Archie a lot. Glad he's on the team. His style of play is sorely needed on the Canucks.

I am a Archibald fan but I doubt he gets more than a 1 year re-up this summer. He has played well to date. No need for a 2 year deal. He has to compete for a spot like all the others in camp. He could be bumped out by a surprise and you don't want a 2 year deal tying up a contract that could be used on a UFA or college signing. 

The way he is playing he may have the leverage to ask for two years. Other teams will be knocking on his door. The Canucks could do a lot worse than giving him a Biega type two year deal. He is in his prime. 

Not coming back to Utica though which is a bummer for us for the playoffs.    

On 2/23/2018 at 12:20 AM, kloubek said:

Archie is a good fit for the 4th line, but I do think if the idea is to have a more physical team another bigger guy who can score in the top six wouldn't hurt.

Archie has 5 points in 12 games, his minutes are easily third line material, he plays pk - get your facts straight.

Archived