The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

Personally I was very disappointed in Archibald down the stretch. For a guy thats been here before and was basically on his last chance to create himself an NHL job, he didn't take it. Rarely did you see the big hit he's known for in the AHL and he averaged under 3 hits a game. For a guy that needs to be tough to succeed he didn't show it.

Wont be surprised to see him resigned on a 1 year contract but we need a more consistent force next season with so many rookies coming in. Heres hoping we sign a guy like Reaves or even take Matt Martin as a cap dump. We need that physical element and I don't think Archibald has done enough to warrant him having that job.

13 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Personally I was very disappointed in Archibald down the stretch. For a guy thats been here before and was basically on his last chance to create himself an NHL job, he didn't take it. Rarely did you see the big hit he's known for in the AHL and he averaged under 3 hits a game. For a guy that needs to be tough to succeed he didn't show it.

Wont be surprised to see him resigned on a 1 year contract but we need a more consistent force next season with so many rookies coming in. Heres hoping we sign a guy like Reaves or even take Matt Martin as a cap dump. We need that physical element and I don't think Archibald has done enough to warrant him having that job.

Gotta say I agree somewhat. He started real strong, but became exceedingly average as the time went on. Maybe a bit too complacent.

40 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

In hindsight, it would be expected that when he finally got the call, he would come out like a house on fire and he did.  But the adrenaline always wears off and he began playing more to his level

To be fair, he was given a defensive role and did very well on the PK.  We also saw Granlund's production fall off by more than half given the same role.

Next year, I think the better of Gaunce or Archie make the team so he's going to be in tough.  I think that he did earn a renewal on a 2-way with the Canucks which is progress over last year.  Definitely on the call up list.

54 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wow, he had is down nights like every player on the team but if you didn't notice he played PK and shutdown role with Sutter and they were very solid. In close games he logged big minutes and was on the ice for the final minutes numerous times.  In other words Green likes him and trusts him.

Positional play was very solid.  Along the boards and in puck battles again very solid.  Was good moving the puck out and was good down low for us including parking himself in front of the net.

For a guy with 45 games in the show he was very good.  this year 9 points in 27 games and a  -1.  He will get a one way for sure and deserves it.  Green next year has his 2 guys already for his shut down  - Archie and Sutter - that is a no brainer.  

On 3/19/2018 at 12:31 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Hasn't gone one game yet since being signed without registering a hit.   Quietly has shown a very mature and polished two way game.  Hoping that with this added confidence of being able to stick in the show, he will start to assert himself more prominently in the physical department.  Would like to see him have a bit more snarl in his game.

Don't need him to fight but he has to start using that big frame to be more intimidating.  Could stand to have this team add some surrounding pieces.  Still firmly believe toughness has a greater accumulating effect when everyone plays the same mentality.   Will be interesting to see what JB does to help Archie carry the load going forward.

agreed. Archie plays a game that doesn't stand out if you are not looking at positional play, puck battles and just good solid and simple play.   He plays a mature game and you need guys like that.  

On 4/9/2018 at 7:31 PM, samurai said:

Wow, he had is down nights like every player on the team but if you didn't notice he played PK and shutdown role with Sutter and they were very solid. In close games he logged big minutes and was on the ice for the final minutes numerous times.  In other words Green likes him and trusts him.

Positional play was very solid.  Along the boards and in puck battles again very solid.  Was good moving the puck out and was good down low for us including parking himself in front of the net.

For a guy with 45 games in the show he was very good.  this year 9 points in 27 games and a  -1.  He will get a one way for sure and deserves it.  Green next year has his 2 guys already for his shut down  - Archie and Sutter - that is a no brainer.  

I truly wonder how some fans evaluate players. Archibald settled into the PK and was a solid 4th liner. Not saying he cannot be bumped by a prospect but I expect him back next year. 

Hope Darren Archibald is watching the Winnipeg/Minnesota game 1, and zeroing on Adam Lowry.  Needs to play like that, a physical, punishing player on the forecheck and using his size and physicality to create chaos in the offensive zone. 

I like how he has shown to be a responsible two way player, but we have a lot of guys who play that exact same style.  What is going to separate him from Markus Granlund, Brendan Gaunce, Nic Dowd, Loui Eriksson etc?  Its going to be his ability to be physical and be intimidating.  Didn't see enough of that consistently, rather it was there for the first 5 games and Darren went into a safe mode and wasn't really noticable physically if at all.  Yes he was good being a defensive forward, and I hope he keeps that element in his game, but there will be better players who are even better than him defensively, and the only way he will stay in the lineup is if he adds the element that he was first advertised to have.  IMO Archibald still needs to show that he can be a physically imposing player consistently...not just a few games at the beginning.

A big part of what I hope he works on this summer is to improve his skating, needs to quicken his first few steps, which go a long ways when you want to be an effective forechecker and backchecker.

Archibald has found a niche in the NHL and I don't think he's going to change a lot after this point.  He's reaching his ceiling, but at least it's a ceiling in the NHL.  He can make a living here by playing solid defensive hockey and chipping in a few points here and there on the bottom six.

2 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Archibald has found a niche in the NHL and I don't think he's going to change a lot after this point.  He's reaching his ceiling, but at least it's a ceiling in the NHL.  He can make a living here by playing solid defensive hockey and chipping in a few points here and there on the bottom six.

And by laying players out whenever the opportunity arises.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:28 PM, RogersTowell said:

I was pleasantly surprised by Archibald when he came up. Always good reports from Utica but you never know if it will translate. I really liked his camp last fall. IMHO Archie is sold  short. He was the captain in Utica and voted MVP last year. Archibald-Gaunce-Virtanen had a really good stretch and later Mott. I expect Archie comes into camp next fall with guns blazing! 

• 2 weeks later...

I actually think for Archibald a 2 way contract makes more sense.  I think he needs that fire under him to drive himself to play as hard as he can every single game.  I think there is a place for him on the 4th line and I believe he can perform that role admirably, but he has to work his butt off to do so consistently.  

Like Gaunce, I feel he has more to offer in the physical department.  Unlike Gaunce, we've seen him play lights-out at times and that's what he has to do.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I actually think for Archibald a 2 way contract makes more sense.  I think he needs that fire under him to drive himself to play as hard as he can every single game.  I think there is a place for him on the 4th line and I believe he can perform that role admirably, but he has to work his butt off to do so consistently.  

Like Gaunce, I feel he has more to offer in the physical department.  Unlike Gaunce, we've seen him play lights-out at times and that's what he has to do.

As a fourth liner, he showed enough, imo, to earn him a spot.

His physicality, though inconsistent, was noticeable. If he can make himself a nightly presence to be wary of, he will become a true NHLer. 

His decision making was fairly solid, and at 0.33 ppg, his production on the fourth line was respectable.

A two-way contract may not be realistic in his case as he did show well in the time he had with the big club.

As a ufa, he can sign with anyone he wants and the risk of another team looking for a depth forward may also have taken notice of his efforts.

I think a 2-3 year deal at 1.25 mil is fair.

If he shows well, he could become a valuable asset in tdl deal to a contender or an add-on to a bigger deal down the road.

If he doesn't, it's not a huge contract, nor is the term overwhelming and wouldn't be hard to stomach waiving him.

I see low risk here with potential for good rewards.

54 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

As a fourth liner, he showed enough, imo, to earn him a spot.

His physicality, though inconsistent, was noticeable. If he can make himself a nightly presence to be wary of, he will become a true NHLer. 

His decision making was fairly solid, and at 0.33 ppg, his production on the fourth line was respectable.

A two-way contract may not be realistic in his case as he did show well in the time he had with the big club.

As a ufa, he can sign with anyone he wants and the risk of another team looking for a depth forward may also have taken notice of his efforts.

I think a 2-3 year deal at 1.25 mil is fair.

If he shows well, he could become a valuable asset in tdl deal to a contender or an add-on to a bigger deal down the road.

If he doesn't, it's not a huge contract, nor is the term overwhelming and wouldn't be hard to stomach waiving him.

I see low risk here with potential for good rewards.

I am a big fan of Archie but I doubt he is offered more than a 1 year deal. You cannot tie up his 4th line spot for 2 years let alone 3 years. If he is resigned for another year and has a full season of consistent play then it becomes a different situation. If Gadjovich or MacEwen   cannot crack a top 9 role then the 4th has to be a option for them. I like Archibald's game and think he can nail down a role on the Canucks. 

I think for Archie's own benefit he should sign a 1 year deal to show us what he can do consistently.  If he shows well, he might be able to up his future value a bit.  I say 1 year, 900k.  Gives him a healthy raise, and if he shows consistency in what he does he can then be offered 2-3 year deal.

archie filled in well when he was signed by the canucks

but the team really has to assess whether his calibre of play and upside

is something they really want on the team or do they want more from his spot on the roster

i'm leaning to them wanting more and will find that in an ufa

i can see them offering archie a lower value 1 way contract to give the team some depth in the toughness area

but likely would expect archie to start in utica next season

I think it's crucial that Archibald understands that, at this point, his spot is not yet secured. He looked good and I think he can hold down a 4th line NHL job, but there is a lot of internal competition and he could lose his job very easily. I believe he'll be able to do it. I think he'll push hard for a one-way deal and probably get it, but he'll have to sacrifice money or term to get it. I'd bet he gets a 1-year one-way deal for less than $1M.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I am a big fan of Archie but I doubt he is offered more than a 1 year deal. You cannot tie up his 4th line spot for 2 years let alone 3 years. If he is resigned for another year and has a full season of consistent play then it becomes a different situation. If Gadjovich or MacEwen   cannot crack a top 9 role then the 4th has to be a option for them. I like Archibald's game and think he can nail down a role on the Canucks. 

If this is the case, I think we lose him to free agency. 

He's, definitely going to be looking for term and, I believe there's a team out there that will offer it. 

3 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

If this is the case, I think we lose him to free agency. 

He's, definitely going to be looking for term and, I believe there's a team out there that will offer it. 

Maybe. But there's about a hundred and two 'Archibald's' out there other teams (or we) could sign instead.

Archived