Sign in to follow this  
avelanch

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

 

;) 

Ha ha, I knew that.  I've never been a big fan of Archie's game; he's too much a bubble player and I don't think he has it in him to play the tough game required for an entire NHL season.

 

The Canucks have the cap space to bring in a player that can send the message that bullying the rookies is off limits, or else.   I would like to see a player that brings his tough game every night and will get that message across quickly.

 

Leaving it entirely up to Guddy is not the rig1ht way to go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guddy doesn't really seem to want to drop the gloves often......

 

Canucks need DA right now. I say a 2 way deal is definately the way to go. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Ha ha, I knew that.  I've never been a big fan of Archie's game; he's too much a bubble player and I don't think he has it in him to play the tough game required for an entire NHL season.

 

The Canucks have the cap space to bring in a player that can send the message that bullying the rookies is off limits, or else.   I would like to see a player that brings his tough game every night and will get that message across quickly.

 

Leaving it entirely up to Guddy is not the rig1ht way to go.

He hasn't played a whole season yet so you don't really know what he has in him.  He is a bubble player or what you would call a 4th liner.  But in that limited role he was one of our most effective bubble guys.  27 games 9 points and -1 is respectable.  He was good on the pk and Green used him with Sutter in the last minute to close out games.    He said he needs to get faster but as an experienced player he did well compensating for that by very good positioning and stick.  He is also very decent down low and along the boards.  Green will definitely want him signed.  

 

I watched most of the games last year and I didn't really think we were getting pushed around on a nightly basis.  There were a few times during the season where that was the case, but Archie wasn't even with the team at that point.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bye Bye Archie.

Not really losing much if they don't re-sign him. I doubt there is a market for him on a 1 way deal.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

Hopefully this means that Jim is looking for some players with size and truculence in trades and free agency.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully this means that Jim is looking for some players with size and truculence in trades and free agency.

JB has to look around but Archibald is not a bad fallback position if signed. That said it will be a 2 way and only a year. Archie has to prove himself over a full season to expect more. 1 way is not happening in Van and I doubt anywhere else. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

JB has to look around but Archibald is not a bad fallback position if signed. That said it will be a 2 way and only a year. Archie has to prove himself over a full season to expect more. 1 way is not happening in Van and I doubt anywhere else. 

Totally agree, Boudrias. Archie would be wise to take the deal Benning is offering and have a strong training camp, proving that he can consistently bring the physical edge the team needs. He had great chemistry with Sutter, and scored a few nice goals last season. He also petered off pretty significantly towards the end of the season.

 

I hope Archie sticks with the Canucks and takes the opportunity that Green will most likely give him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d rather see Archie  get a 1way deal as a fourth liner than some of the guys we’ve brought in over the last year. It’s not like he can’t be waived if it doesn’t pan out. 

So many bad players that provide little to nothing have been gifted nhl spots on this club, here’s a guy that hits could fight and is a great forchecker, huh three thing the Canucks have next to none of in their line up. Better sign another Gagme instead so he can float around and fall down instead. 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully this means that Jim is looking for some players with size and truculence in trades and free agency.

giphy.gif

 

PB, replace chocolate with "TRUCULENCE!" and this is you!

 

Seriously though, as mentioned above, I think that he and Sutter did a really solid job of shutting down top lines most nights. Perhaps Granlund fits as the third member of that line, since when they obtain possession in the attacking zone, they protect the puck fairly well and Markus could provide some passing there to add a touch of offense and creativity. That said, if Benning sees an opportunity to upgrade over Archibald hockey-wise with a similarly large and tough player, then I'd be all for that as well.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Guile said:

giphy.gif

 

PB, replace chocolate with "TRUCULENCE!" and this is you!

 

Seriously though, as mentioned above, I think that he and Sutter did a really solid job of shutting down top lines most nights. Perhaps Granlund fits as the third member of that line, since when they obtain possession in the attacking zone, they protect the puck fairly well and Markus could provide some passing there to add a touch of offense and creativity. That said, if Benning sees an opportunity to upgrade over Archibald hockey-wise with a similarly large and tough player, then I'd be all for that as well.  

Awesome gif, Guile. I have a feeling Archibald's situation will be sorted out by Friday. I'm hopeful that he takes the offer, and does whatever it takes to stick on the roster.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2018 at 9:30 AM, Guile said:

giphy.gif

 

PB, replace chocolate with "TRUCULENCE!" and this is you!

 

Seriously though, as mentioned above, I think that he and Sutter did a really solid job of shutting down top lines most nights. Perhaps Granlund fits as the third member of that line, since when they obtain possession in the attacking zone, they protect the puck fairly well and Markus could provide some passing there to add a touch of offense and creativity. That said, if Benning sees an opportunity to upgrade over Archibald hockey-wise with a similarly large and tough player, then I'd be all for that as well.  

Yes, Archie did very well with Sutter playing shutdown in the late season run. And of course he has size and toughness. I really would like to see him re-signed. I don't get why the hang-up is one-way vs. two-way. At least the Canucks could offer a fairly attractive AHL salary (300K?). But maybe Archie's agent thinks he played well enough to get a one-way deal from someone based on his play on the Canucks last season. Personally, I would give him the one-way deal at the NHL minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Archie > Gagme

How? Archie is bigger but that is about it. Gagner gets way more points and has just about as many fights. While I am not Gagner's biggest fan, I thought Archie quit playing touch as soon as he got paid. Gagner makes too much but is a much better player than Archie. Nice try lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

How? Archie is bigger but that is about it. Gagner gets way more points and has just about as many fights. While I am not Gagner's biggest fan, I thought Archie quit playing touch as soon as he got paid. Gagner makes too much but is a much better player than Archie. Nice try lol.

I would generally agree. When Archie first began playing, he was far more valuable than Gagner, but he slowed down as time went on and Gagner just continued being his old self. Archibald had a solid 9 points in 27 games, but only 4 of those came in the last 15 games. Gagner scored 7 points in the last 15 games, so nearly twice the rate, though he was playing with the twins to end the year.

 

I could easily see Archie being more valuable, but at this point, I consider them fairly equal in value. Archibald's value may be slightly inflated to us due to our general lack of size though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

How? Archie is bigger but that is about it. Gagner gets way more points and has just about as many fights. While I am not Gagner's biggest fan, I thought Archie quit playing touch as soon as he got paid. Gagner makes too much but is a much better player than Archie. Nice try lol.

3.2 Million for that? Nah his 10 goals and preferential starts ain't worth that. We have enough of that style of player in Erickson/Baers/Granlund 

We need hitters like Archie that ACTUALLY hit. Gagme couldn't push anyone over. Plus he fights like a girl.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.