• 36,238 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

Position: LW
Date of birth: February 09, 1990
Place of birth: Oakville, Ont., Canada
Ht: 6' 3.25"
Wt: 211
Shoots: L

Played on the OHL's worse team in the league for the Majority of this season and still put up more than a point per game suring his time there. Recently acquired by the Niagra Ice Dogs (playing with our other prospect, Alex Friesen.)

Newly acquired IceDogs forward Darren Archibald has signed a contract with the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League.

The overage forward will be on the ice again tonight for his third game as an IceDog, having picked up one assist and a shootout goal in his first game as an IceDog. Archibald is on pace for his best OHL season, having accumulated 18 goals and 13 assists for 31 points in 24 games so far this season.

In 151 career OHL games, the Newmarket native has 69 goals and 70 assists for 139 points, to go along with 118 penalty minutes.

http://www.niagaraicedogs.net/article/archibald-signs-with-vancouver-canucks

The first is that Niagara IceDogs winger (and former Barrie Colt) Darren Archibald has FINALLY signed an NHL contract. After going through 2 NHL drafts (despite being ranked) and having long stays at 2 NHL camps (Columbus and Detroit), Archibald finally put the ink on an entry level contract with the Vancouver Canucks (LINK). As you know, I’ve been a big supporter of Archibald the past few seasons and I’ve always been flabbergasted that he continued to remain without an NHL affiliation (whether it be as a draft pick or signee). The Canucks are getting a complete player who can do a little bit of everything and who (IMO) should develop into at least a serviceable checking line winger with goal scoring ability. Congrats to Darren.

Interview on signing and trade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjWx1uZBRaQ

Probably best (worst) know for this little infraction at the end of game 3 during last playoffs (his team was swept the following game):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzIrMOFeGDw

He has LOTS of potential, but It's questionable as to whether he'll be able to tap into it properly. If he does, he'll be an AMAZING power forward. if not, it's just a wast of a contract spot, so really no downside in this. hope he can do even better now that he's with a good team in Niagra, and then it's on to the Moose next season.

#2 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Finnally a prospect with some size and some skill. We need a big power forward for Hodgson and Shroeder to play with so that they have more space on the ice.

I've been pretty disappointed with Volpatti and Oreskovich so far, so hopefully this guy can bring something more next season.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#3 SpinDrive

SpinDrive

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

Wow dirty hit on the goalie brah. But nevertheless I'd like to see what he can do.
Posted Image

Believing in religion is like believing Raymond is going to win the Rocket Richard.

#4 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

Finnally a prospect with some size and some skill. We need a big power forward for Hodgson and Shroeder to play with so that they have more space on the ice.

I've been pretty disappointed with Volpatti and Oreskovich so far, so hopefully this guy can bring something more next season.

I would hope some of Cody's character would rub off on him along the way. If he wouldn't have been traded he would have been available for the moose on March 20th. as it currently sits, the Ice dogs may make a long run to the memorial cup, which would be awesome for Freisen and Archibald, but it would leave Archibald without a chance to play with Cody for a while.

#5 RandyLahey

RandyLahey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane
Archibald-Hodgson-Schroeder

Just sayin

Posted Image
Made by canuckianone

#6 Sau

Sau

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Just saying what?

#7 BoKnowsHockey

BoKnowsHockey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

I think we are lookin at the next byfuglien

Posted Image
Credit to the sig goes to Kesler's Happy Dance

Hey all, to keep this thread from getting locked, I will attempt to be discreet with what I am asking so the younger posters who may stumble across this thread back out of it not sure what to think.

So I am going camping with my girlfriend and a couple friends in a few days. Now, I know my girlfriend will want to play on the playground quite a few times each day, and we are going for 3 days. However, we will be drinking liquor during these three days, and it might make it hard for myself to play on the playground. That's not the worry though, the worry is, how do I stay on the playground for a respectable amount of time? I've heard from some male friends that liquor makes it easier to stay on the playground longer, but getting to the playground may come sooner than expected. So what are some things I can do to make sure that be-fore playing and the actual playing on the playground doesn't end too soon?

#8 AmazingNuck

AmazingNuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane

Just sayin

We'll be perennial Calder Cup contenders. :towel:
Posted Image

#9 ☆➊ R. 'Superman' Kesler ➐☆

☆➊ R. 'Superman' Kesler ➐☆

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Future star, guaranteed!

I can already compare him to Ryan Kesler and Jarome Iginla - leadership and talent!

He averages a point a game, a penalty every other game, seems like a all around great player, steps in for his teammates, brings the crowd into the game, has a wicked shot, has great offensive and defensive abilities, very talented, big threat for opposer's, great passer, size advantage and uses it..............just the complete package!

Also, heres his career stats: http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=115481

MG TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by NucksFan - 4Life, 12 December 2010 - 06:01 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Quebec Nordiques

#10 AlvinTheChoster

AlvinTheChoster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

That hit on goalie makes me wonder....
Is he a dirty player at all? (I don't know anything about him....)
Posted Image

Credit to Kesler's Happy Dance for this awesome sig!

#11 suirtemedb

suirtemedb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

He can hit turco for us next time we play Chicago.
http://twitter.com/#!/Canucks_Forums
Posted Image

If we argue we will probably play tennis about it.

- Daniel on arguments with Henrik.

#12 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,229 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

I'll wait and see what he can do in the AHL next year against men. It is good to have some size though.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#13 kassasin#9

kassasin#9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

Is he black?

Daniel-Henrik-Archibald

Swedish Chocolate Line!Posted Image
Posted Image
Credit to Kesler's Happy Dance!

#14 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Apparently the hit against the goalie has a back story to it. Something happened earlier in the game.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#15 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,653 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Similar style and build of Chris Stewart. Hopefully he can put it together.

#16 vancityhockey

vancityhockey

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

This guy looks good! It would be awesome for the Canucks to have someone with enough balls to run the goalie like that-thats what we need! too much nice guys on our team
Posted Image

#17 Alf

Alf

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Is he black?

Daniel-Henrik-Archibald

Swedish Chocolate Line!Posted Image

:picard:

Posted Image Posted Image

#18 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

Well at least even if he doesn't make it, he still does "look" like the next Iginla, literally. :huh:
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#19 Alf

Alf

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Future star, guaranteed!

I can already compare him to Ryan Kesler and Jarome Iginla - leadership and talent!

He averages a point a game, a penalty every other game, seems like a all around great player, steps in for his teammates, brings the crowd into the game, has a wicked shot, has great offensive and defensive abilities, very talented, big threat for opposer's, great passer, size advantage and uses it..............just the complete package!

And yet never drafted? His stats seem reasonably good. I don't know enough about him. Has MG signed a bit of a head case. Does running that goalie show he is competitive and tough.... or just another dip@#$*

Edited by Alf, 12 December 2010 - 07:55 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#20 surfer53

surfer53

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

LOL 6'3 211...he's a good size guy and will probably fill out a bit, but he's not byfuglien. Byfugly is 6'4 and 260 pounds. That's a lot of fried chicken and waffles in difference. LOL. Looks promising though.

Edited by surfer53, 12 December 2010 - 08:10 PM.

#21 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

Future star, guaranteed!

Are you Darren's agent?

#22 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,250 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

Well, Volpatti was never brought in to get points. He's played pretty well for what his role is. He's a fighter who isn't completely useless. His absolute ceiling would be a Chris Neil type player (needs to put on a bit more muscle though).

As for Oreo, the guy took a couple years off hockey and then re-joined it playing in a pretty bad organization. He started this year off looking alright, and then got injured. He's just starting to come back around now. Give him at least until the 40 game mark before you are 'pretty disappointed'.

#23 Bourdon_28

Bourdon_28

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

I saw Archibald play the Belleville Bulls back when he was on the Colts earlier this year, and I gotta say, he dominated. Mabye it was because the Bulls are a young and terrible team this year, or maybe it's because he's an overager. But either way, he was all over the ice pickin up 3 points and was a big physical presence

#24 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

Seems like a pretty good signing. I can't believe he was never signed or drafted?!? He's big and has power forward potential. I guess Gillis is still searching for that elusive power forward we've never had.

He'll get some good time playing with Friesen in Niagara this year. Maybe they'll both be able to become offensive players. Failing that I could see both as checking forwards with scoring potential.

I wanna see what he can do with Hodgson.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#25 Señor Hoff

Señor Hoff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane

Just sayin

:bigblush:

precisely what came to my mind.
At first I was like...
Posted Image

...But then I was like
Posted Image

#26 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

Terrific hit on that goalie .. hates to lose .. it is about time we have someone who is willing to dish it out .. sick of us always taking crap .. we need a couple of guys who have a screw half loose .. keeps the other team wondering .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#27 Señor Hoff

Señor Hoff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

Archibald-Malhotra-Hodgson ?
At first I was like...
Posted Image

...But then I was like
Posted Image

#28 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Archibald's statistics and physical attributes remind me of Akim Aliu, except Aliu was a 2nd Round Pick. (that hasn't quite panned out) Although, Archibald looks to be faster then Aliu was.

Archibald played in the OPJHL in his first year of draft eligibility. I wonder that if he was in the OHL in 07/08 and puts up 40 points, he gets drafted. Using the CSB as reference for his ranking

2008 - Not ranked
2009 - Ranked 157th (134th Mid-Term) which is about 6th Round Pick factoring in Europeans/Goalies
2010 - Ranked 190th which is about a 7th Round Pick

Although in 2009, teammate Kyle Clifford was ranked 182nd and only had 28 points in 60 games, but ended up being drafted in the 2nd Round.

So draw your own conclusions :P

Edited by Gnickers87, 13 December 2010 - 12:44 AM.

Posted Image

#29 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,902 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:04 AM

Holding my judgement until he actually plays some pro hockey. Which is still some ways away. Already some brave proposals and ideas out there.
Posted Image

#30 War-Rat

War-Rat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

I like how gillis constantly pursues undrafted good players.If any of these kids match half of what burrows has accomplished, ima be a very happy person :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.