The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see how Archibald does for himself now that JS and ZK are up with the Nux.

I don't exactly see him flourishing, to be honest. Archibald isn't really a player who creates offense, rather he's a finisher who goes to the net. He works well with a playmaker like Schroeder who makes things happen and with Schroeder with the Canucks for the time being - and Ebbett as well - there is really nobody of that ilk for him to play with.

He'll definitely grab some goals on the PP, though, as the net presence.

I don't exactly see him flourishing, to be honest. Archibald isn't really a player who creates offense, rather he's a finisher who goes to the net. He works well with a playmaker like Schroeder who makes things happen and with Schroeder with the Canucks for the time being - and Ebbett as well - there is really nobody of that ilk for him to play with.

He'll definitely grab some goals on the PP, though, as the net presence.

We'll see whether that was just a hot streak or not. But hopefully he's developed enough of his game to start contributing in other areas too if he's not scoring goals.

Nice little article I found btw:

Archibald has been pegged as a late bloomer, not making the OHL until his second year of eligibility. It’s not quite a fair label, however, as he did score 25 goals in his rookie season with the Barrie Colts, following it up with 26 goals in fewer games the next year. Still, concerns over his skating prevented him from getting drafted and tryouts with the Columbus Blue Jackets and Detroit Red Wings went nowhere.

It was his over-age year that really caught people’s attention. He started the season on fire for the Colts, scoring 18 goals in 24 games before being traded to the Niagara IceDogs. Mike Gillis had seen enough at that point, signing him to an entry-level contract shortly thereafter. He finished the regular season with 41 goals and 66 points in 61 games, then went on to score 10 goals in 14 playoff games for the IceDogs.

The disparity between Archibald’s goals and assists made it clear that he is essentially a pure goalscorer and his first prospect camp seemed to confirm that. Archibald was one of the best players at the Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, scoring 2 goals and adding an assist to tie for the tournament lead in points. His first goal was scored by simply going hard to the net, as a power forward should, while his second showcased the release on his snap shot.

Though Archibald got cut from main training camp after he failed to step up against tougher competition, it seemed certain that he would be a strong addition to the Wolves’ roster. Instead, Archibald faltered and found himself in the ECHL with Kalamazoo. A strong showing with the K-Wings, where he showed his playmaking side, scoring 14 goals and 31 assists in 49 games, earned him another shot with the Wolves, but it went no better. Archibald finished with just 1 goal and no assists in 20 AHL games that season.

It seemed like Gillis’s rolls of the dice with late-blooming free agents that had been so successful with Chris Tanev and Eddie Lack had finally come up snake eyes. For most non-goaltending prospects, spending the bulk of a season in the ECHL is the death knell for a shot at the NHL.

Then came the lockout, pushing several players down to the AHL, including young power forward Zack Kassian. Archibald simply didn’t have a spot on the roster and once again found himself in Kalamazoo. With two straight seasons in the ECHL, it seemed like Archibald could be written off.

His strong play for the K-Wings, however, earned him another shot with the Wolves and he made the most of it, scoring in just his second game on November 30th, then adding another in his third. After two goalless games, he scored two more against Hamilton on December 13th. He has yet to go three games without a goal, scoring again against the Griffins on December 22nd and the Heat on December 29th.

http://vansunsportsb...is-groove-back/

• 2 weeks later...

I know he'll probably be a victim of the numbers game. But I really like what I saw from Archibald during the scrimmage. He can skate, he shoots pucks on the net, and he has size. I know he's got more developing to do, but I thought he was really noticeable out there.

Great job Archie!

All you need to do is look at Volpatti vs Winchester and you know who AV will want on his team. Archie will get his chance though. He's a good kid, drafted same year as Schroeder though so he's gonna have to wait.

Archibald wasn't drafted the same year as Schroeder, in fact he was never drafted at all. He was signed by the Canucks as an undrafted free agent.

All you need to do is look at Volpatti vs Winchester and you know who AV will want on his team. Archie will get his chance though. He's a good kid, drafted same year as Schroeder though so he's gonna have to wait.

you forgot about the rematch huh? even so I also vote Volpatti

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archbald was given a chance in fact he's had a couple of chances with Chicago. If I can assume he's given his best then my initial hopes for the guy is fading. If he can't hold down a position in the AHL his chances in the NHL looking pretty slim

Archived