The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

^^ Not to sure, Av.

It seems like if he's going to make it, he'd be likely yo be a 3rd liner or maybe 4th liner on a deep team. Considering the line suggestion of Arch/CoHo/Schro I started thinking about potential line combos in an NHL scenario. It's too bad one of him, Glass or Andersson doesn't play center as that could be a possibility as a 4th line and it'd also be interesting to see both he and B. Sweatt as wingers (one would have to play RW) with a center like Malhotra or Hodgson, or even someone coming up Like Schroeder or Froshaug if they're capable of making it in the pros as centers.

I started to see some good ideas but we have so many left wingers and not many exciting 3rd4th line center prospects that I don't know how it'd work out beyond the Moose.

^^ Not to sure, Av.

It seems like if he's going to make it, he'd be likely yo be a 3rd liner or maybe 4th liner on a deep team. Considering the line suggestion of Arch/CoHo/Schro I started thinking about potential line combos in an NHL scenario. It's too bad one of him, Glass or Andersson doesn't play center as that could be a possibility as a 4th line and it'd also be interesting to see both he and B. Sweatt as wingers (one would have to play RW) with a center like Malhotra or Hodgson, or even someone coming up Like Schroeder or Froshaug if they're capable of making it in the pros as centers.

I started to see some good ideas but we have so many left wingers and not many exciting 3rd4th line center prospects that I don't know how it'd work out beyond the Moose.

Bliznak? Archibald and Sweatt would be the edge, the physicality. Bliznak would be the responsible speedy center who can win face-offs.

Sweatt - Bliznak - Archibald.

Alex Friesen is another center with bottom 6 potential (and he's currently playing on the same team as Archibald).

Saying that, I think Sweatt will be a 2nd-3rd line forward once he cracks the NHL roster. He's a prototypical 3rd LWer, who can put up enough offense to play the in top-6 if needed. (2nd on the Moose in points right now).

Seems like a pretty good signing. I can't believe he was never signed or drafted?!? He's big and has power forward potential. I guess Gillis is still searching for that elusive power forward we've never had.

He'll get some good time playing with Friesen in Niagara this year. Maybe they'll both be able to become offensive players. Failing that I could see both as checking forwards with scoring potential.

I wanna see what he can do with Hodgson.

Yeah, hard to believe he wasn't drafted??? A point per game with size and not draft pick worthy? I don't get it.

Bliznak? Archibald and Sweatt would be the edge, the physicality. Bliznak would be the responsible speedy center who can win face-offs.

Sweatt - Bliznak - Archibald.

Alex Friesen is another center with bottom 6 potential (and he's currently playing on the same team as Archibald).

Saying that, I think Sweatt will be a 2nd-3rd line forward once he cracks the NHL roster. He's a prototypical 3rd LWer, who can put up enough offense to play the in top-6 if needed. (2nd on the Moose in points right now).

You're right about Sweatt having 2nd/3rd line potential and I see solid 3rd line options for Archibald if he pans out, but I wonder if Bliznak would make it as a regular 3rd line center. He could do tho, making that line interesting, so I guess I shouldn't rule him out.

Someone like Froshaug isn't an automatic upgrade as a 3rd line center either, especially since I know very little about him apart from he's a solid two-way center (another Gradin scouting find), but I'd be interested to see Schroeder in that role too. I'm not sure if it'd be soon enough for us to have Malhotra still or if Hodgson will take over as a 3rd center or move to the wing at times on the second line, we'll have to see how that all works out.

I did think about Friesen as an option between them but wasn't sure he'd excel in that role being smaller. Schroeder is smaller too but plays with more strength. I guess with Archibald using his size, that'd create a lot of room for someone like Friesen anyways. Archibald certainly creates more options all around it sounds like.

You're right about Sweatt having 2nd/3rd line potential and I see solid 3rd line options for Archibald if he pans out, but I wonder if Bliznak would make it as a regular 3rd line center. He could do tho, making that line interesting, so I guess I shouldn't rule him out.

Someone like Froshaug isn't an automatic upgrade as a 3rd line center either, especially since I know very little about him apart from he's a solid two-way center (another Gradin scouting find), but I'd be interested to see Schroeder in that role too. I'm not sure if it'd be soon enough for us to have Malhotra still or if Hodgson will take over as a 3rd center or move to the wing at times on the second line, we'll have to see how that all works out.

I did think about Friesen as an option between them but wasn't sure he'd excel in that role being smaller. Schroeder is smaller too but plays with more strength. I guess with Archibald using his size, that'd create a lot of room for someone like Friesen anyways. Archibald certainly creates more options all around it sounds like.

On Froshaug: I doubt he ever makes it as a 3rd line center. He has some of the tools, but you have to remember that he is 22 and scores at the same pace in the Norweigan league as Blizzard does in the AHL. I am not saying point-production is the main focus of his game, but you have to produce a bit to play 3rd line center in the NHL. Froshaug's potential lies somewhere between 3rd line AHL center and 4th line NHL LWer.

Manny was asked when he was signed if he was comfortable on a line with a 'young' center. And since so far the plan has been to put Schroeder on the wing (at the AHL level), I'm thinking that center is Hodgson. Even though Cody has been set back by another injury, he should be into complete game shape by the 50-55 game mark in the AHL.

We could very well see him as the '13th' forward during the playoffs and playing in place of injuries, etc. As early as next season I could see a third line of Malhotra - Hodgson - Hansen.

A fourth line of Glass - Bliznak - Bolduc isn't out of the question next year either. Perhaps with Bolduc playing the 13th forward/utility player role and a veteran UFA filling in the RW position.

On Froshaug: I doubt he ever makes it as a 3rd line center. He has some of the tools, but you have to remember that he is 22 and scores at the same pace in the Norweigan league as Blizzard does in the AHL. I am not saying point-production is the main focus of his game, but you have to produce a bit to play 3rd line center in the NHL. Froshaug's potential lies somewhere between 3rd line AHL center and 4th line NHL LWer.

Manny was asked when he was signed if he was comfortable on a line with a 'young' center. And since so far the plan has been to put Schroeder on the wing (at the AHL level), I'm thinking that center is Hodgson. Even though Cody has been set back by another injury, he should be into complete game shape by the 50-55 game mark in the AHL.

We could very well see him as the '13th' forward during the playoffs and playing in place of injuries, etc. As early as next season I could see a third line of Malhotra - Hodgson - Hansen.

A fourth line of Glass - Bliznak - Bolduc isn't out of the question next year either. Perhaps with Bolduc playing the 13th forward/utility player role and a veteran UFA filling in the RW position.

You know, I can't ever remember having this much difficulty deciding what lineups were best from our prospects as a first or second line, nevermind as a third or fourth, during the Burke/Nonis era.

:towel: Good job Gillis.

Canucks see Archibald's up-side

By JIM JAMIESON THU, DEC 16 2010 THE WHITE TOWEL

The Canucks believe they've found another diamond in the rough in Darren Archibald.

The big (6-foot-3, 195 pounds) winger was signed as a free agent by the Canucks earlier this week.

We'll see in September, when training camp rolls around.

Canucks director of player development Dave Gagner said the 20-year-old Newmarket, Ont., native was a late bloomer, physically, and that was a factor in his not being selected in the NHL Entry Draft. His skating also needs to improve.

"He grew so much in his first year of Midget that he kind of lost his whole skill set, he was so gangly he had to rebuild himself,” said Gagner.

The Canucks see him as a projected third-line winger, but of course there is lots of development to get there.

"He can check, he gets in the odd fight, too,” said Gagner. “He's a pretty complete guy. He's got a full complement of assets, but like all our young guys he's got a ways to go with experience.”

Archibald, an overage player, had 18-12-30 in 24 games with the OHL Barrie Colts, but was recently traded to the Niagara Ice Dogs, for whom he has one assist in three games.

Archibald signed a three-year, entry level deal that will pay, at the NHL level: $590,000-615,000-$690,000.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/whitetowel/archive/2010/12/16/canucks-see-archibald-s-up-side.aspx

found this scouting report

I’m still pretty shocked that Archibald ended up going undrafted yet again this past summer. While he is certainly prone to going through stages of inconsistency, when he’s on his game, he’s a force. This season promises to be a very good one for the overager, as Archibald not only has the physical tools to control the play with his body, he also is getting top line minutes at even strength and on the special teams. He’s a very tough player to contain when he wants to be and he has a great touch in and around the net so expect him to be among the OHL leaders in goals this season. I think you’ll see him get signed next summer and he should be starting out in the AHL come 2011/12.

sounds a bit like Buffy to me. If a coach can get him to show up every night he could be solid pick up.

he does sound like Big Buff a bit....late bloomer and all....look at Buff now...he is playing the best hockey of his career at 25

The difference is Byfuglien is bigger and can move for a big man. Plus he can play forward if necessary but he has proven he is better on d at his natural position.

HE IS ON PACE FOR 81 POINTS AS A D-MAN!!! :frantic:

Archived