The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm pretty sure Archibald would need to clear waivers (to be assigned to Utica) if he gets signed to an NHL deal.

I'm too busy/lazy to find the relevant CBA section this morning, but here's an article on a player in a similar situation:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.secondcityhockey.com/platform/amp/2017/2/24/14731494/jeff-glass-waivers-blackhawks-nhl-2017

Jeff Glass was on an AHL only deal and playing in Rockford. Got signed to an NHL deal and had to clear waivers to go back to the AHL.

Drew Shore had to go through waivers to sign with the Canucks to play in the NHL.  Would it be the same for Archibald - not going back down but to come up if he signs once the NHL season has already started.  

3 hours ago, mll said:

Drew Shore had to go through waivers to sign with the Canucks to play in the NHL.  Would it be the same for Archibald - not going back down but to come up if he signs once the NHL season has already started.  

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'll try to look at the CBA today when I get more spare time.

But it's definitely true that once the season starts, signings of players from Europe who are not already on a team's reserve list require waivers before they can join the roster.

Not sure if the same rule applies to the AHL (and other NA pro leagues).

EDIT: without checking the CBA, I'm pretty sure there aren't waivers when a player on an AHL only contract gets signed mid-season to an NHL SPC. They just join the NHL roster. But they need waivers to be re-assigned to the AHL. The example would be Mike Zalewski, who we had on an AHL only deal and then signed to a two-way deal in January 2016 (and he just joined the Canucks roster without waivers).

I'm pretty sure the waivers situation on contract signings only applies to mid-season signings out of the European pro leagues. This is intended to prevent rich teams using the Euro pro leagues as a second farm system. 

Archibald getting criticized on TSN for not being able to keep up with Connor McDavid tonight, therefore justifying his being sent down to Utica. Shaking my head already. If this guy gets sent down, wake me when Gaunce finally does something impressive enough to justify his roster spot over Archibald. 

8 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Archibald getting criticized on TSN for not being able to keep up with Connor McDavid tonight, therefore justifying his being sent down to Utica. Shaking my head already. If this guy gets sent down, wake me when Gaunce finally does something impressive enough to justify his roster spot over Archibald. 

I laughed when they made the speed comment. I thought Archibald a solid game. To me it comes down to a choice between Archy, Megna and Burmistrov. Megna has the speed and had a nice game last night but he has not shown the ability to put up numbers which IMO he has to do to stay. Still not sure what Burmistrov has. Green knows what Archibald is capable of. Because of that knowledge I think Archibald gets a NHL contract and he and Megna are sent to Utica. 20 games will tell Green what he has in Burmistrov and if it is not enough Archibald gets the call. Archy has shown a really well balanced game and has 4th line cred.  

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I laughed when they made the speed comment. I thought Archibald a solid game. To me it comes down to a choice between Archy, Megna and Burmistrov. Megna has the speed and had a nice game last night but he has not shown the ability to put up numbers which IMO he has to do to stay. Still not sure what Burmistrov has. Green knows what Archibald is capable of. Because of that knowledge I think Archibald gets a NHL contract and he and Megna are sent to Utica. 20 games will tell Green what he has in Burmistrov and if it is not enough Archibald gets the call. Archy has shown a really well balanced game and has 4th line cred.  

Also, your 20 game mark is around the time that Gaunce is expected to be skating by (mid-November), so there's quite the pleasant logjam there. That 4th line LW spot is Gaunce's to lose when healthy IMO, especially considering how much Green likes him. Agreed on Burmistrov likely making the team.

7 hours ago, cyoung said:

Honestly he didn't have the best game tonight. He's a hard worker but I just don't think hes good enough, love his effort and the passion that he brings though. 

Not good enough? If the Canucks were truly interested only in players who are "good enough", they'd have parted with Hutton this summer. It just seems that no matter how well certain players perform in the AHL, they're continually having to jump through hoops to land a spot with the big club, while languishing behind an inferior/less impressive player on the depth chart in the NHL. 

17 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Not good enough? If the Canucks were truly interested only in players who are "good enough", they'd have parted with Hutton this summer. It just seems that no matter how well certain players perform in the AHL, they're continually having to jump through hoops to land a spot with the big club, while languishing behind an inferior/less impressive player on the depth chart in the NHL. 

It doesn't matter what you do in the ahl. It matters how well you do in the nhl. I like Archibald but I personally don't think he can make the jump. 

3 minutes ago, cyoung said:

It doesn't matter what you do in the ahl. It matters how well you do in the nhl. I like Archibald but I personally don't think he can make the jump. 

If it's Gaunce he's expected to jump, DA lapped him at LW4 a year or 2 ago. BG had better show out when he returns, is all I'm saying. I just haven't seen exactly what it is the organisation sees in the guy when compared to Archibald. 

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

If it's Gaunce he's expected to jump, DA lapped him at LW4 a year or 2 ago. BG had better show out when he returns, is all I'm saying. I just haven't seen exactly what it is the organisation sees in the guy when compared to Archibald. 

This is a ridiculous statement. You can only judge them on their play in Utica and when Gaunce played up the lineup he put up more points. In a bottom 6 role Gaunce is the better checker and was always on the 1st PK unit.

You can't judge Gaunce based on his play last year. The real test will be when he plays under a coach who knows his game. Archibald did take a huge leap last season when he played in every situation for Green. There's a trust level there now that is similar to the way TG trusts Gaunce.  

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

This is a ridiculous statement. You can only judge them on their play in Utica and when Gaunce played up the lineup he put up more points. In a bottom 6 role Gaunce is the better checker and was always on the 1st PK unit.

You can't judge Gaunce based on his play last year. The real test will be when he plays under a coach who knows his game. Archibald did take a huge leap last season when he played in every situation for Green. There's a trust level there now that is similar to the way TG trusts Gaunce.  

I for one am perfectly happy using last year as a measuring stick for Gaunce. Overall I thought he filled the role asked of him as a 4th liner excellently. Obviously though, you want your 4th liners chipping in 6-10 goals ideally, which of course he did not. I feel pretty comfortable about his all around game and look forward to his return. 

Fwiw I think Burmistrov stays and BG bumps him out... but then, with our eternal injury bug, who knows who’ll be available and who won’t be. 

Archie really needs to stick to being a physical player and not worry about being a point producer in this league.  Happened the exact same way, where he was a constant physical force with the Chicago Wolves, and yet when called up, he changed his game.

I want that physical force on a consistent basis for him.   Not sure he can sustain that play style.  All honesty, the only game where I truly saw that rugged, energy style game was against the Vegas Golden Knights.

I think in a long season having guys like Archie help reduce injuries. A strong forecheck slows down the oppositions transition game. Because Archie distracts them from hold the puck longer and forces them to decide quicker than maybe they want to. 

Maybe we're tight on contracts but I'd like to see Archie spot in for Gagne.  Put Biega on the 4th  as well and take some pressure off our MVP Double D.

Although we are getting Gaunce back soon (and he's also a good hitter). Nice to have options.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Too bad he broke his face, he would have had a pretty good opportunity to get called up now that Dorsett and Gudbranson are out.

Probably not. Still only on AHL contract so they'd have to waste a contract. If they were going to call up that 'element' it would probably be Labate, MacEwan etc

Archived