686 replies to this topic

#181 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:24 AM

Beat out Zack Kassian for Player of the Week honours. Well done.

#182 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmpf-zGBThU
Here's his between the legs goal! :shock:

I think we may have a beauty of a player here...That takes guts to try that in a game, especially a playoff game. Unreal goal! :D

I'm not sure if even Byfuglien has as good of a size/hands/cockiness package as that. That's simply off the charts ballsy, and infuriating for opponents ESPECIALLY since it's in a playoff game. Only thing missing was taunting the crowd...

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#183 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,218 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Wow. Where did this guy come from?

6'3" 211lb Left wing power forward...droool

Yes, he's an overager in the OHL, but this looks like a power forward in the making. I don't really know much about him, but if his defensive play is solid, I can see him develop in the AHL next year while being called up for injuries.

Archibald-Kesler-Hodgson in a couple years? Hodgson has great vision and would be a playmaking winger like St. Louis and Tanguay. Cody will probably center the 3rd line if we don't resign Manny (all indications point to him coming back from the injury), but I think we will--he's such a classy person. I can see Hodgson move off Kesler's wing and become the 2nd line center once the Sedins tail off and fall to 3rd line (3-5 years).

Cody would look great feeding the puck to Kesler for one-timers (our St Louis-Stamkos combo except Kesler can actually play defense--Cody actually played wing on Stamkos at U-18 so this is a real possibility) and Archibald driving to the net for the dirty goals. This line would have everything: power forward left wing, sniper/shutdown center and playmaking right wing (who also has a nice shot).

In 2-3 years:

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Burrows(1a) - Probably will get more points--only by a small margin
Archibald-Kesler-Hodgson(1b) - Probably will get more ice time--Kesler already gets more than H. Sedin
B. Sweatt-Malhotra-Hansen(3) - B. Sweatt's speed and hands compliment the line well and adds offense
Rodin-Lapierre-Oreksovich(4) - Crash and bang with a Swedish twist (adds scoring touch)

If Archy's not ready, maybe Rodin or B Sweatt can take his spot. I think Rodin is going to be pretty good. Probably will end up being better than our 1st round pick from the same year in Schroeder.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#184 Seņor Hoff

Seņor Hoff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

Mike Gillis: "I'm very excited about our recent signing Darren Archibald" ...i bet
At first I was like...
Posted Image

...But then I was like
Posted Image

#185 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

West Coast Express reloaded! ;)

Look for Archie to make some noise at Canucks training camp though. He is 21 after all, and clearly has the size. Could be a cheap replacement for Torres if he can crack the roster. You never know...

I was hoping that it would be Brouwer's spot...

Imagine that.

Well Johnson signed with the Hawks so you never know....
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#186 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

I think Archibald will be a Torres type player. "Physical 15". Not a top 6 guy.
Sig too big.

#187 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

I think Archibald will be a Torres type player. "Physical 15". Not a top 6 guy.

Agreed. I think he'll be good for about 15-20 goals with around 50pts at his peak

zuhwS.gif

#188 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

"Tough to play against" third liner that can play up and down the lineup and pitch in 15g if needed. That's all I want from this guy.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#189 Seņor Hoff

Seņor Hoff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

...yeah....and Kesler was nothing more than a checker at one point...

a big guy with hands and can skate? with polish and fine-tuning he will be a top 6 forward imo

Edited by Seņor Hoff, 27 April 2011 - 08:50 PM.

At first I was like...
Posted Image

...But then I was like
Posted Image

#190 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

So, now that Archibald & Friesen's OHL seasons are over, is it off to the Moose to help prolong a Calder Cup run?

Edited by Millerdraft, 28 April 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#191 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,496 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

So, now that Archibald & Friesen's OHL seasons are over, is it off to the Moose to help prolong a Calder Cup run?

Gillis would probably prefer that, but it's up to Heisinger if he wants to sign them to an ATO contract.

If he feels like he's got a good enough team though, he might not wanna mess with the chemistry.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#192 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

...yeah....and Kesler was nothing more than a checker at one point...

a big guy with hands and can skate? with polish and fine-tuning he will be a top 6 forward imo

This.

It basically comes down to how much work Archibald is willing to do. He has the genetics to be something special... we're just going to have to see what he makes of himself.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#193 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,970 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Gillis would probably prefer that, but it's up to Heisinger if he wants to sign them to an ATO contract.

If he feels like he's got a good enough team though, he might not wanna mess with the chemistry.

they'll either join the nucks or the moose to watch/practice with the teams I don't think they'll see any game time though.

#194 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,496 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

they'll either join the nucks or the moose to watch/practice with the teams I don't think they'll see any game time though.

I don't think they can join the Canucks, they're not even signed to an ELC yet are they?

Either way, they'll likely be joining the Moose, whether it's to practice or play.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#195 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

I don't think they can join the Canucks, they're not even signed to an ELC yet are they?

Either way, they'll likely be joining the Moose, whether it's to practice or play.

Archibald has. You wouldn't be talking about him if it wasn't for his signing with us :P

Edited by 22sedins33, 28 April 2011 - 11:05 PM.

The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#196 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

can't they call Archi to the Moose now that the Dogs are out of the playoffs?

#197 Honeydew

Honeydew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Its up to the Manitoba Moose GM to do it or not.
Posted Image

#198 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,970 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

can't they call Archi to the Moose now that the Dogs are out of the playoffs?

they can sign him to an ATO for the remainder of the playoffs if they want. I'd slot him in, but that's the moose's call.

#199 mdehaan

mdehaan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

@ManitobaMoose

Manitoba Moose

Moose sign forward Darren Archibald to amateur tryout contract. Led Niagara IceDogs during OHL playoffs with 10 goals in 14 games.

"Money is worth what it will help you to produce or buy and no more." Henry Ford 

#200 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,970 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

and there we go.

#201 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

PUT HIM WITH THE SEDINS. NOW!!!!!!!!!!! :P ok, so i know he won't be put with them this year, but i can dream. i think he's a bit of a loose cannon. hopefully he will be able to mature under the canucks organization. could be a huge steal by MG.

#202 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

I was hoping that it would be Brouwer's spot...

Imagine that.

Well Johnson signed with the Hawks so you never know....

Brutal, no ex hawks thanks very much.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#203 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Brutal, no ex hawks thanks very much.

Brouwer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Torres

200+hits and he can actually score

All rivalry aside I think he's a very versatile player that can help us tremendously.
Posted Image

#204 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

Brouwer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Torres

200+hits and he can actually score

All rivalry aside I think he's a very versatile player that can help us tremendously.

Yeah, you're right and I know hockey players got to be professional but sometimes there is a line. There are some situations where this doesn't work. Like Neely playing for the Habs say, or Yzerman going to Colorado. That's like all these guys that wanted us to trade for Bufuglien. I'd feel cheap if we had to stoop to taking their players in order to beat them.

Would Brouwer really want to play for the Canucks? Torres to the Hawks? I think not but ... I've been wrong before many many times.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#205 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, you're right and I know hockey players got to be professional but sometimes there is a line. There are some situations where this doesn't work. Like Neely playing for the Habs say, or Yzerman going to Colorado. That's like all these guys that wanted us to trade for Bufuglien. I'd feel cheap if we had to stoop to taking their players in order to beat them.

Would Brouwer really want to play for the Canucks? Torres to the Hawks? I think not but ... I've been wrong before many many times.

I see what you're saying but Brouwer isn't really that "iconic" to have that kind of impact, ie. Chelios to Detroit

At the end of the day there's a good chance he'll re-sign with the Hawks, but being a BC boy and all he might just come play for us if given the chance.
Posted Image

#206 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

I see what you're saying but Brouwer isn't really that "iconic" to have that kind of impact, ie. Chelios to Detroit

At the end of the day there's a good chance he'll re-sign with the Hawks, but being a BC boy and all he might just come play for us if given the chance.

If we were to pursue him and show interest I think he would definitely consider coming. If he is heads and tails above everyone else than I think MG would do if for the betterment of the club. However, all thing being equal there are 28 other teams out there that wouldn't require a shocking transferrence of allegience. Having said that definitely a great asset to have.

It just seems to me this is a move that would be made to spite the Hawks, or fill a childhood desire to play for the Canucks, which I've never heard of. It would be kind of awkward as just an average everyday hockey move.

There also seems to be a lack of motivation as Brouwer has already won a cup with the Hawks. By going to his rival only winning a cup would be considered a success.

Edited by Dogbyte, 03 May 2011 - 01:01 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#207 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Good news. Archie gets a head start on next year...

#208 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

If we were to pursue him and show interest I think he would definitely consider coming. If he is heads and tails above everyone else than I think MG would do if for the betterment of the club. However, all thing being equal there are 28 other teams out there that wouldn't require a shocking transferrence of allegience. Having said that definitely a great asset to have.

It just seems to me this is a move that would be made to spite the Hawks, or fill a childhood desire to play for the Canucks, which I've never heard of. It would be kind of awkward as just an average everyday hockey move.

There also seems to be a lack of motivation as Brouwer has already won a cup with the Hawks. By going to his rival only winning a cup would be considered a success.

It's still a competitive sport. You do whatever you can to have the best possible team

Brouwer's a good role player. If he isn't given a contract renewal by the Hawks I'm sure he'll be happy to have a contract no matter what team it's from. As a kid he probably grew up cheering for the Canucks. If I were in his shoes I'd be a dream come true for me.

And the Canucks are slowly building a winning franchise here, pretty hard to resist.
Posted Image

#209 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

It's still a competitive sport. You do whatever you can to have the best possible team

Brouwer's a good role player. If he isn't given a contract renewal by the Hawks I'm sure he'll be happy to have a contract no matter what team it's from. As a kid he probably grew up cheering for the Canucks. If I were in his shoes I'd be a dream come true for me.

And the Canucks are slowly building a winning franchise here, pretty hard to resist.

I agree, however, he is a real quality role player. With us against the cap I can't see us being able to offer him more than others unless we specfically target him. Having said I really haven't thought about who else will be out there this offseason that satisfies that role.

For me as a fan it would suck in the beginning but I'm sure I'd get used to it. Although I never did get used to Messier, but then again he sucked! :)

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#210 mdehaan

mdehaan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

So is the plan for him to suit up?

"Money is worth what it will help you to produce or buy and no more." Henry Ford 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.