The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

It wasn't too long ago that the Canuck's had no defensive depth. All they had to call up was Baumer who was a veteran AHLer. Now, we have defensive depth on the big club the Moose and 3 others in junior/high school etc. We had no power forward in our organisation untill recently with the signing of undrafted Archibald. Is this the start of Gillis addressing the need for power forwards?

It wasn't too long ago that the Canuck's had no defensive depth. All they had to call up was Baumer who was a veteran AHLer. Now, we have defensive depth on the big club the Moose and 3 others in junior/high school etc. We had no power forward in our organisation untill recently with the signing of undrafted Archibald. Is this the start of Gillis addressing the need for power forwards?

I think Gillis has the model for a team after this generation is through (5-6 years,) a team I think will look different then our current team. I think he is ensuring that the cupboard is stocked in each facet so that it is a safe bet that we will be able to develop the players we won't be able to acquire via free agency and trades. I think this is why Gillis is picking up guys that have strong work ethics and intelligence, guys who will be able to best use the time and the facilities they will be given.

To take a stab at your question, I don't see Gillis acquiring a slew of powerforwards right now just to address the need. He has plenty of time to acquire guys that fit this mold, though I am sure he wants to acquire them. It is probably based on availability, and he will pick up whoever is available. Looking at our cupboard, we are strong down the middle, strong on D, and strong in the net. We could definitely use some size, and we really need some guys who can be goal scorers/ shooters in the NHL. I think we will see our next few first rounders be a strong skating defenseman with size and mostly goal scoring wingers, maybe one more center. Not in that order of course, but based on availability of intelligent, hard-working players. I think our little run there of shoring up on defense was a matter of luck and timing.

<br />I think Gillis has the model for a team after this generation is through (5-6 years,) a team I think will look different then our current team. I think he is ensuring that the cupboard is stocked in each facet so that it is a safe bet that we will be able to develop the players we won't be able to acquire via free agency and trades. I think this is why Gillis is picking up guys that have strong work ethics and intelligence, guys who will be able to best use the time and the facilities they will be given.<br /><br />To take a stab at your question, I don't see Gillis acquiring a slew of powerforwards right now just to address the need. He has plenty of time to acquire guys that fit this mold, though I am sure he wants to acquire them. It is probably based on availability, and he will pick up whoever is available. Looking at our cupboard, we are strong down the middle, strong on D, and strong in the net. We could definitely use some size, and we really need some guys who can be goal scorers/ shooters in the NHL. I think we will see our next few first rounders be a strong skating defenseman with size and mostly goal scoring wingers, maybe one more center. Not in that order of course, but based on availability of intelligent, hard-working players.  I think our little run there of shoring up on defense was a matter of luck and timing.[/quote

Good points. I think you are probably right. Either that or you just sound like someone that knows what he is talking about. Some teams, like Calgary for example, have a different model which results in their style of play. They like big physical players and play very physical. They have lots of power forwards. I guess our model is of a mobile, fast, skilled team. Maybe there isn't a slew of powerforwards in Gillis's plans. I am just thinking how much more effective a team the Canucks could be with a big bodied power forward mixed in amongst their skilled fast ones. Say a Jamie Benn like forward creating havoc and potting in rebounds.

Good points. I think you are probably right. Either that or you just sound like someone that knows what he is talking about. Some teams, like Calgary for example, have a different model which results in their style of play. They like big physical players and play very physical. They have lots of power forwards. I guess our model is of a mobile, fast, skilled team. Maybe there isn't a slew of powerforwards in Gillis's plans. I am just thinking how much more effective a team the Canucks could be with a big bodied power forward mixed in amongst their skilled fast ones. Say a Jamie Benn like forward creating havoc and potting in rebounds.

Haha, well I try to be as rational as I can, but at the end of the day, I do know it's all just speculation. So, I'm not too attached to my ideas; even I take them with a grain of salt.

Anyways, what "the Gillis model" is is an interesting topic. Aside from the obvious emphasis on work ethic and intelligence, after only three years of drafting it isn't quite clear. I would say we look to be shaping up as a fast, mobile team, and I think our element of speed will come from our ability to both move the puck and transition very quickly. Then again, many players that Gillis has acquired have also kind of fallen into his lap, and they would be easy decisions for many GMs. Guys like Hodgson, Schroeder, Tanev, McNally, B. Sweatt all really fit that mold, but two of them were free pickups, and the other three fell to us in the draft. I guess he could have passed on any of these players, but maybe we would get a better idea by looking at picks like Rodin, Connauton, Polasek, Andersson, Anthony, Archibald, Friesen; guys Gillis took more of a chance on. That group already looks more aggressive and physical, so I do think he is interested in powerforwards. I just think he is going to have to take his time acquiring them since players with size who are "intelligent and hardworking" don't come around often. That said, we do have Archibald, Anthony, and Oreskovich, all players who IMO have a shot at being NHL powerforwards and who fit the Gillis mold.

<br />Haha, well I try to be as rational as I can, but at the end of the day, I do know it's all just speculation. So, I'm not too attached to my ideas; even I take them with a grain of salt.<br /><br />Anyways, what &quot;the Gillis model&quot; is is an interesting topic. Aside from the obvious emphasis on work ethic and intelligence, after only three years of drafting it isn't quite clear. I would say we look to be shaping up as a fast, mobile team, and I think our element of speed will come from our ability to both move the puck and transition very quickly. Then again, many players that Gillis has acquired have also kind of fallen into his lap, and they would be easy decisions for many GMs. Guys like Hodgson, Schroeder, Tanev, McNally, B. Sweatt all really fit that mold, but two of them were free pickups, and the other three fell to us in the draft. I guess he could have passed on any of these players, but maybe we would get a better idea by looking at picks like Rodin, Connauton, Polasek, Andersson, Anthony, Archibald, Friesen; guys Gillis took more of a chance on. That group already looks more aggressive and physical, so I do think he is interested in powerforwards. I just think he is going to have to take his time acquiring them since players with size who are &quot;intelligent and hardworking&quot; don't come around often. That said, we do have Archibald, Anthony, and Oreskovich, all players who IMO have a shot at being NHL powerforwards and who fit the Gillis mold.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yeah that makes sense and I hope you are right. The first thing I do when the Canucks draft or sign an undrafted prospect is look at their penalty minutes. If they have around as many penalty minutes as games played then I feel we just got a gritty player and it makes me happy. Hockey is obviously a very tough, physical game and gritty players have an edge, if most other things are equal.

That is what I am excited about young prospects like Archibald, Freisen, Connauton, Sauve, Adam Polasek, and even Sawyer Hannay. Not only do they show promise but they seem to be gritty.

The Canucks are much deeper in quality prospects than ever before imo...and much deeper than given credit for from analysts. Lots of guys who could end up being quality NHLers. Gillis and staff are doing an excellent job stockpiling players with the right attributes to play in the NHL. Not surprising that a high quality agent like Gillis could morph into this type of great GM in retrospect.

<br /><br /><br />

Yeah that makes sense and I hope you are right. The first thing I do when the Canucks draft or sign an undrafted prospect is look at their penalty minutes. If they have around as many penalty minutes as games played then I feel we just got a gritty player and it makes me happy. Hockey is obviously a very tough, physical game and gritty players have an edge, if most other things are equal.

That is what I am excited about young prospects like Archibald, Freisen, Connauton, Sauve, Adam Polasek, and even Sawyer Hannay. Not only do they show promise but they seem to be gritty.

All good points. . . interesting about the penalty minutes. Makes sense. I think the last time I really looked at penalty minutes was the opposite case, when Tanev had 4 minutes after 40+ games as a top pairing guy in college. I figured it indicated good skating and positioning, cause 4 minutes is pretty ridiculous. I didn't really think about it in terms of deficient physicality, but that too seems to be the case with him.

The Canucks are much deeper in quality prospects than ever before imo...and much deeper than given credit for from analysts. Lots of guys who could end up being quality NHLers. Gillis and staff are doing an excellent job stockpiling players with the right attributes to play in the NHL. Not surprising that a high quality agent like Gillis could morph into this type of great GM in retrospect.

I agree about our depth not getting credit. Three or so years from now, we are really going to be feeling a strong push from the farm. We'll also still have most of the core we have today. I don't think media care to look that far ahead, but I don't understand why people think we only have a 2-3 year window.

^^Interesting interpretation on the low penalty minutes for Tanev. You were certainly accurate there. His positional play and mobility has been very good. On the flip side, Tanev has shown no abrasiveness in his play for the Canucks. However he is mentally tough. He regularly takes a hit to make a good outlet pass. He is definitely a keeper.

But back to Archibald. I really hope he makes the Canucks some day. His size, grit/abrasiveness, drive, and ability would be of great use to them. These qualities come to prominence in hard fought games such as the playoffs.

MG is awesome. Despite having next to nothing for draft picks, he still managed to restock the shelves by signing prospects who bloomed late.

Eddie Lack - Elite rookie AHL goaltender. Potential NHL starter. Could have been at least a 2nd round pick.

Chris Tanev - Managed to stick in the NHL for a significant period of time in his rookie year. Poised, with a decent frame and some offensive upside.Could have been a late first rounder.

Billy Sweatt - Former 2nd round pick.

Darren Archibald - Was slated to go 4th or 5th round.

This was probably one of our best offseasons for injecting new prospects into the system. Imagine if we had picks in the first three rounds!

Its hard to believe Archibald never got drafted. Looking at his combination of size, grit, and leadership, he may get a look with the big club sooner than a few guys already on the Moose. I'm excited to see him in the AHL next season, I'm hoping he will benefit from the more competitive physical battles.

MG is awesome. Despite having next to nothing for draft picks, he still managed to restock the shelves by signing prospects who bloomed late.

Eddie Lack - Elite rookie AHL goaltender. Potential NHL starter. Could have been at least a 2nd round pick.

Chris Tanev - Managed to stick in the NHL for a significant period of time in his rookie year. Poised, with a decent frame and some offensive upside.Could have been a late first rounder.

Billy Sweatt - Former 2nd round pick.

Darren Archibald - Was slated to go 4th or 5th round.

This was probably one of our best offseasons for injecting new prospects into the system. Imagine if we had picks in the first three rounds!

And now imagine what he'll do this offseason, with ALL his picks. I'm sure we'll see a few more college/free agent signings too so it should be great! I think prospects/prospect development is the true key to any team, and Gillis has been incredibly proactive in dealing with that since being hired.

Another point to make considering accumulating depth is conservation. When Gillis inherits or acquires talent he likes, he will not part with them. He has not traded away any young promising players or prospects. After the trade deadline, he stated that there were inquiries for Hogdson and Schneider, but that he does not like to trade talented young players. In the Ballard trade, he traded young players that were not in their plans to address an area of concern. The draft picks he has traded he got players back that are not even in their prime so are far from being rentals. So not only has Gillis acquired and drafted prospects, he has conserved them. Talented players saved is talented players earned.

it's also the picks he traded away. The biggest thing for me was that he didnt deal away any of this years picks. He trade the 3rds for the next 2 years, which gives him plenty of time to reaquire some picks. I would be VERY surprised if he doesnt get at least 1 3rd pick back in a trade at some point.

Archie nets the second goal of the night and his 36th of the year in a 4-3 win over Kingston.

Andrew Agozzino led the Niagara IceDogs with two goals while Ryan Strome scored the shootout-winner as the 'Dogs defeated the Kingston Frontenacs 4-3 Sunday afternoon in Kingston, improving their record to 43-16-2-4.

Agozzino's two goals give him 41 on the season, which is a new milestone for the IceDogs captain.

Both goaltenders, Mark Visentin and Franky Palazzese, played exceptional games in net for their respective teams as they both stopped over 40 shots each, while also making some key saves in the shootout.

Agozzino got things going early as he potted his 40th goal of the season just 3:44 into the first with the help of his linemates, David Pacan and Alex Friesen.

This season is the first time he has reached 40 goals in his OHL career, having surpassed his previous season-best of 37 goals and 66 points, which he set last year.

Agozzino's marker would be the lone goal of the period, and Niagara would take a 1-0 lead into the first intermission, also leading the shot clock 14-10.

The 'Dogs got things started again in the second period at the 4:07 mark as Steven Shipley sent a pass through the high slot to Darren Archibald, who dropped to one knee and one-timed the puck into the net from the right wing to put them up 2-0.

Kingston answered back at the 8:54 mark of the frame as Mitch Gaulton picked up his 8th of the season on the power play to cut the IceDogs' lead to 2-1 - a score that would hold up after 40 minutes of play.

Much like he did in the opening period, Andrew Agozzino converted early in the third to notch his second goal of the game and 41st of the season, increasing the Niagara lead to 3-1. Once again, the assists on Agozzino's tally went to Pacan and Friesen.

However, it didn't take long for the Fronts to reply with a goal of their own coming from Derek Froats just over two minutes later, bringing the game within one goal at a 3-2 score.

Kingston continued to put the pressure on in the latter half of the third, and Ethan Werek was able to beat Visentin at the 16:41 mark to tie the game 3-3, which would eventually force it into overtime.

After a scoreless overtime frame, the game would be forced into a shootout with a 3-3 tie.

After the first several shooters were unable to score, Ryan Strome continued to make his case as a top five draft pick as he scored the shootout winner, giving him game-winning goals in the past two consecutive road games.

The IceDogs return to action this coming Wednesday, Mar. 16 as they pay a visit to the Peterborough Petes at 7 p.m., before returning to Niagara to play the final two games of the regular season at home.

The 'Dogs will host the Mississauga Majors on Thursday, Mar. 17 at 7 p.m., before finishing the season Saturday, Mar. 19, also at 7 p.m. in a rematch against the Kingston Frontenacs.

Seats are still available for both home games, and fans are encouraged to purchase their tickets early and help fill the Gatorade Garden City Complex in support of your IceDogs as they finish their most successful season since the team arrived in Niagara.

- Jeff Blay, Media Relations

Scoreboard:

1. NIAG Agozzino (40) (Pacan, Friesen) 3:44

2. NIAG Archibald (36) (Shipley, Doan) 4:07

2. KNG Gaulton (8) (Werek, Durocher) 8:54 (PP)

3. NIAG Agozzino (41) (Pacan, Friesen) 5:04

3. KNG Froats (4) (Stokes) 7:12

3. KNG Werek (24) (Braithwaite) 16:41

Some of that depth came from the Nonis era but no doubt that MG is very impressive. I often think about how far the org has come from since AV first came on board. There were some pretty brutal teams in Van but the Moose were even worse as there was no talent or depth.

Archie nets a hat trick!

Darren Archibald's hat-trick boosted the Niagara IceDogs to a 6-3 victory over the Peterborough Petes Wednesday night in Peterborough, improving their record to 44-16-2-4.

Along with Archibald's stellar play, Mitchell Theoret and Myles Doan also played a crucial role in the victory, while Ryan Strome and Dougie Hamilton both recorded points to continue their impressive sophomore campaigns.

Both teams played well in the first period as they each created some quality scoring chances, while also playing well in their respective defensive ends.

Goaltenders Mark Visentin and Andrew D'Agostini also played a solid game between the pipes in the first, and the two teams would head into the dressing room in a scoreless tie after 20 minutes.

The Petes finally opened things up at the 1:58 mark as Austin Watson picked up his 33rd goal of the season to give his team a 1-0 lead in front of their home crowd.

Just past the halfway point of the second, Darren Archibald tied things up with his 37th tally of the season with the help of Myles Doan to give the 'Dogs some life.

Niagara killed off a couple penalties throughout the remainder of the period, but the score remained at a 1-1 going into the second intermission.

Mitchell Theoret did a great job getting into the thick of things in the third period, and he drew a Petes penalty five minutes in to give the IceDogs their first power play of the game.

Ryan Strome continued to prove he can shoot the puck as well as he can make plays as he sniped his 33rd goal of the season at the 6:10 mark to give the 'Dogs their first lead of the game, 2-1. Dougie Hamilton made a beautiful pass into the high slot to set up the play, picking up his 45th assist and 57th point.

Shortly after Strome's marker, Theoret gave a solid effort racing to beat an icing, and he took a heavy check into the board from Peterborough enforcer Derek Mathers, who received a check from behind penalty, putting the IceDogs on the man advantage once again.

Darren Archibald then converted his second goal of the game (38th of the season) at the 9:18 mark to give Niagara a 3-1 lead, making them two for two on the power play.

Although Jason Wilson took a minor penalty for high-sticking shortly after the goal, the IceDogs scoring frenzy wouldn't end there as captain Andrew Agozzino exploded onto a breakaway after creating a turnover and made no mistake in picking the low left corner on D'Agostini's blocker side to notch his 42nd of the season shorthanded.

However, that didn't end the Petes power play, and Luke Mercer took another minor for hooking to give them a five-on-three advantage.

Lino Martschini capitalized on the Peterborough power play to cut the IceDogs lead to 4-2.

To answer Martschini's tally, Mitchell Theoret continued his exceptional game for Niagara as he made a great individual effort to break into the Petes zone and pick the top-corner glove side to increase their lead to 5-2.

Fittingly, Darren Archibald followed up with his 39th goal of the season to complete the hat-trick and give Niagara a commanding 6-2 lead. Myles Doan set up the play to pick up his third assist of the game and second on an Archibald goal.

Peterborough continued the scoring trend to cut the lead once again to 6-3, but that's as far as they would get as the 'Dogs killed off the clock and took home their sixth straight victory over the Petes.

The IceDogs return to action tomorrow night as they host the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors at 7 p.m., before playing their final game of the regular season this Saturday, Mar. 18 against the Kingston Frontenacs, also at 7 p.m.

Both games take place at the Gatorade Garden City Complex, and there are still seats and standing room available, so don't forget to purchase your tickets and come support the IceDogs as they prepare to finish their most successful season since coming to Niagara.

For more ticketing information, please contact the IceDogs office from Monday to Friday at 905-687-DOG1.

Go Dogs Go!

Scoreboard:

2. PBO Watson (33) (Martschini, Seymour) 1:58

2. NIAG Archibald (37) (Doan) 12:19

3. NIAG Strome (33) (D. Hamilton) 6:10 (PP)

3. NIAG Archibald (38) (Pacan, Shipley) 9:18 (PP)

3. NIAG Agozzino (42) 11:41 (SH)

3. PBO Martschini (19) (Quine, Ekelund) 12:45 (PP)

3. NIAG Theoret (9) (Doan, Graham) 15:56

3. Archibald (39) (Doan, D. Hamilton) 16:53

3. PBO Quine (26) 19:03

Archie scores his 40th in a losing cause:

The Niagara IceDogs suffered a tough 2-1 loss to the Mississauga Majors in front of a sold-out crowd at the Gatorade Garden City Complex Thursday evening.

Dalton McGrath played a solid game in net for the 'Dogs, stopping 39 shots and keeping his team in the game.

Darren Archibald continued is hot-streak by opening the scoring at the 8:08 mark of the first on the power play to notch his 40th goal of the season and fourth in the last two games.

McGrath, the IceDogs back-up goaltender got the start in net to give Mark Visentin a night off, came up with some monumental saves throughout the first period to help maintain the IceDogs' 1-0 lead. Shots were 14-11 in favour of Niagara after 20 minutes of play.

The 'Dogs had a bit more trouble in the second as they spent much of the period in the defensive zone, but McGrath stood on his toes and stopped another 22 shots, keeping his team in the game and allowing them to hold on to their 1-0 lead going into the second intermission.

Shots were 33-17 in favour of Mississauga after 40 minutes.

Mississauga finally tied the game up on a power play at the 10:53 mark of the third, and after the goal, IceDogs assistant captain Darren Archibald was called for unsportsmanlike as he was disputing a missed call with the officials.

The conversation didn't go his way, and the Majors found themselves with another power play opportunity.

Devante Smith-Pelly took full advantage and scored his 36th goal of the season at the 12 minute mark to give the Majors their first lead of the game, 2-1.

Although the 'Dogs had a final crack at a power play, the Majors were able to hold on to the 2-1 lead to pick up the win.

The IceDogs will play their final game of the regular season at home this Saturday, Mar. 19th at 7 p.m. as they host the Kingston Frontenacs.

Tickets for this game are still available and can be purchased at any IceDogs ticketing location, including the box office located at the Gatorade Garden City Complex which opens two hours prior to puck drop.

For more information, please contact the IceDogs office from Monday-Friday at 905-687-DOG1.

Go Dogs Go!

Scoreboard:

1. NIAG Archibald (40) (Shipley, Gronvaldt) 8:08

3. MISS Mayer (18) (Flick) 10:53 (PP)

3. MISS Smith-Pelly (36) (Shugg) 12:00 (PP)

Archived