Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shaelon

[OFFICIAL] Playoff Indicator Chart 2011

783 posts in this topic

so what does the magic number mean?

No, not really. I was going to start one as early as the beginning of the season but I think people prefer too see it dwindle down right from the get go.

No, not really. I was going to start one as early as the beginning of the season but I think people prefer too see it dwindle down right from the get go.

Number of wins it would take to be ranked higher than the opponent in the standings. This magic number thing has been done every year almost.

its the number of game we need to win to guarantee our placement above them at the end of the season.

i think its to early to be predicting how a team will finish, trades play a big role in how well a team does and teams today will be different down the road. Even our team has a few trades in its future, when salo returns, trade deadline, etc. Injurys change how a team plays aswell.

It is fun to see the lames chances looking so dismal though =)

So Detroit has 47 games to clinch a playoff spot?

Your chart is too complicated.

It just means that if we need 47 more wins (or every single game) in order to guarantee more points than Detroit.

The magic number system has been posted for years now, it's not very hard to understand. However, I feel it's a bit early to show it since we're nowhere near reducing any of the magic numbers to zero (not even Edmonton).

I get it. If Detroit wins their every game from now until the end of the season, and Canucks do the same, Canucks will be #1. Amirite? :)

guys.... CBJ has a magic number of 40

we need a combined total of 40 (van wins + cbj losses)... ie if we get 23 more wins and cbj get 17 reg losses... we could lose every other game to be ahead of them in standings

the calculations might be complicated but its pretty simple to figure out

I cant seem to fix the topic title, but yes thats pretty much how it works. With the new shootout rule, a shootout win calculates the same as a OT/SO Loss. it wont be too long before we see teams below us eliminated at the pace we're going at.

December 29th, 2010:

I have updated the Magic Number chart for the end of December 29th, 2010's games. Phoenix and Los Angeles are still in game duration but with a 6-3 lead, its well clear the Coyotes will win.

I have also added a S/O Column and a Magic Number Change column too add more depth to the chart.

Dallas, Los Angeles and San Jose all dropped one number tonight!

You can tell that S/Os play a major factor b/c Minny's magic no. is actually higher than Chicago's and as high as SJ's - even though the Wild have a lower P%. It's no coincidence that it's due to the fact that their S/O record is a dysmal 0-4, and hence they have the tiebreaker over anybody else in that regard.