The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Playoff Indicator Chart 2011

cleowin

Introduction:

I am providing you day to day updates on the NHL's Playoff Status through this chart. Changes from my Magic Number Chart includes:

Rows Removed:

PTP = Point Pce

Magic # = Magic Number

Magic Change = Change in Magic Number.

Rows Added:

MAX = Total Possible points that a team can finish with at the end of the regular season

PTC (X) = Points needed to Clinch a Playoff seed.

PTC (Y) = Points needed to Clinch a Division seed.

PTC (Z) = Points needed to Clinch a Conference seed (Applies to Eastern Conference only)

Example:

DET has 98 Points. They can achieve a final max point total of 108 Points. They currently need 2 Points to clinch a playoff seed (An extra point is added to eliminate tie-breakers unless specified by the NHL itself.)

Colours:

Light Gray = Vancouver

Lighter Green = Division Leader who has clinched a playoff spot but has not clinched the division.

Green = Division Leader

Yellow = In Playoff Spot

Orange = Clinched Playoff Spot but in non-division seed.

Blue = Out of Playoff spot/in Contention

Purple = Eliminated from Post-Season Contention!

Eastern Conference:

magicnumbercharteastern.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Western Conference:

magicnumberchartwestern.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Disclaimer:

I by means expect that no one will copy, manipulate or re-distribute my chart for Commercial purposes. If I find any copies of this Chart that is modified or altered in anyway, I will track you down and expect you to remove it. Thank you.

i think its to early to be predicting how a team will finish, trades play a big role in how well a team does and teams today will be different down the road. Even our team has a few trades in its future, when salo returns, trade deadline, etc. Injurys change how a team plays aswell.

It is fun to see the lames chances looking so dismal though =)

It just means that if we need 47 more wins (or every single game) in order to guarantee more points than Detroit.

The magic number system has been posted for years now, it's not very hard to understand. However, I feel it's a bit early to show it since we're nowhere near reducing any of the magic numbers to zero (not even Edmonton).

guys.... CBJ has a magic number of 40

we need a combined total of 40 (van wins + cbj losses)... ie if we get 23 more wins and cbj get 17 reg losses... we could lose every other game to be ahead of them in standings

the calculations might be complicated but its pretty simple to figure out

I cant seem to fix the topic title, but yes thats pretty much how it works. With the new shootout rule, a shootout win calculates the same as a OT/SO Loss. it wont be too long before we see teams below us eliminated at the pace we're going at.

December 29th, 2010:

I have updated the Magic Number chart for the end of December 29th, 2010's games. Phoenix and Los Angeles are still in game duration but with a 6-3 lead, its well clear the Coyotes will win.

I have also added a S/O Column and a Magic Number Change column too add more depth to the chart.

Dallas, Los Angeles and San Jose all dropped one number tonight!

You can tell that S/Os play a major factor b/c Minny's magic no. is actually higher than Chicago's and as high as SJ's - even though the Wild have a lower P%. It's no coincidence that it's due to the fact that their S/O record is a dysmal 0-4, and hence they have the tiebreaker over anybody else in that regard.

Archived