The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Playoff Indicator Chart 2011

cleowin

I see on the chart that Phillys magic number is 2, but that +.5 for the tiebreaker. Am I right to assume that a philly OT loss and a win for the Canucks gets them the Presidents trophy? Or if philly loses in regulation and the Canucks get a point? We would win all the tiebreakers would we not?

Yeah, now that it's down to two teams going for the Presidents' Trophy, we might as well figure out all the tiebreakers so everyone (except me) can celebrate ASAP...

The second tiebreaker is points earned head-to-head. Vancouver won their only meeting this year 6-2, so, if it's tied after ROW (Regulation/Overtime Wins), the Canucks win.

So...ROW...

As of now (Thursday morning), Philly has 43 and Vancouver has 47.

If Philly loses in OT/SO, they can still end with 113 points and 48 ROW, so Vancouver would need to win in regulation or OT to clinch tonight. If they win in a SO, they'd be up to 113 points, but still be at 47 ROW.

If Philly loses in regulation, they can end with 112 points and 48 ROW, so any kind of Vancouver win (which would bring them to 113 points) would clinch tonight.

Confusing enough?

Edit: considering it's the middle of the night, apologies in advance if I screwed any of that up...which is quite likely.

Actually, that leads to an interesting question that I can't seem to find the answer to. What is the President's Trophy named for, anyway? The NHL president (a position that no longer exists)?

I'm assuming it's not named for the president of the United States.

Actually there needs to be an even about of homes games, between the games the the Canucks played Philadelphia, so if the ROW is still tied it will go into Goal Differential, which the Canucks have a commanding lead in. So odds are if the Canucks can get Philadelphia's MAX ROW down to the same as the Canucks, we will win the President's Trophy.

:towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

Edit: For Philadelphia to tie the Canucks in GD they have to score an average of 4.7 goals per game, assuming the Canucks lose all of their games by 1 goal.

2 games, not points. if we win (1 game) and philly loses (1 game) tonight then we clinch. if we both win the number drops to a 1, if we lose and philly wins it stays at 2. if philly loses in OT/SO their number drops by .5 of a point, same goes for us losing in OT/SO.

Archived