The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report(s)] Zach Parise Discussion thread

They have to little to no offense in their defense throughout their whole system. Like Gradin said, they really only have Andy Greene is their professional system.

They have real high hopes for Jon Merrill, he is pretty much the only high potential two way defender in their prospect pool.

True, Jon Merrill has potential. But who is going to show him the hopes? Andy Greene....? Very few defenseman step into the NHL and become point producers, especially if nobody is showing them how. See: Hedman.

Jeremy Price or Kevin Connauton could seem appealing to them for that reason. (And obviously Ehrhoff, like you're saying).

Ilya Kovalchuk ;).

Not sure how it's possible to keep him long term. For example looking at the 12-13 season, there's no way you can keep Parise with a cap hit under 5. So that basically comes down to 45 million for ten players only if he's signed for 5, or 4.5 million average between those ten players. Not to mention Ehrhoff, if we even keep him around next season as his contract is also up this year. So unless the cap goes up big time in the next couple years or Zach is only here as a rental, it's going to be extremely tight to fit him in. Maybe we could pull what Sutter did in Calgary and only dress 18 players a night.

Not sure how it's possible to keep him long term. For example looking at the 12-13 season, there's no way you can keep Parise with a cap hit under 5. So that basically comes down to 45 million for ten players only if he's signed for 5, or 4.5 million average between those ten players. Not to mention Ehrhoff, if we even keep him around next season as his contract is also up this year. So unless the cap goes up big time in the next couple years or Zach is only here as a rental, it's going to be extremely tight to fit him in. Maybe we could pull what Sutter did in Calgary and only dress 18 players a night.

Anyone think why MG is keeping the picks is to sign a big RFA? We have all our picks for this next year, and I expect Parise asking for about 6.1mil, 5 year contract. That would need a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick(I think). Maybe we could fit him in...?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Parise(6.1)-Kesler-Raymond

Hodgson-Malhotra-Samuelsson

Hansen-Bolduc-Oreskovich

Tambellini(500k)

Ehrhoff(4.25)-Edler

Hamhuis-Ballard

Rome-Alberts(1mil)

UFA(500k)

Luongo

UFA(500k)

Guessing the cap is about 61.5 mil

Cap hit:58,074,999

Lots of space for lots of upgrades, not like u get better than this. Sign a good backup like Hedberg or if we havnt traded Schnieder by now, we have the best 1-2 goalie tandem in the league.

I still don't understand the logic behind the Raymond + Schneider for Parise proposal. Goaltending right now is a very poor commodity. Halak, who is in a similar age range as schneider, and has proven WAY more than Schneider, went for a few mere prospects. Samething with Lehtonen. Parise, operating at full capacity, is a top five winger in the NHL.

So it comes to trading a franchise player for Schneider (Who is worth very little given recent transactions) and a one time 53 pt player, who we all think, is overrated.

If I were NJ, I would target James Neal/Jamie Benn and perhaps Jack Campbell from dallas.

St.Louis and LA have a wealth of prospects (Much better than VAN's) and could be serious contenders by next year.

Colorado may also be a contender next year and have some younger players with great value.

Above teams also have alot of cap space, unlike VAN who would have to take away some pieces.

I still don't understand the logic behind the Raymond + Schneider for Parise proposal. Goaltending right now is a very poor commodity. Halak, who is in a similar age range as schneider, and has proven WAY more than Schneider, went for a few mere prospects. Samething with Lehtonen. Parise, operating at full capacity, is a top five winger in the NHL.

So it comes to trading a franchise player for Schneider (Who is worth very little given recent transactions) and a one time 53 pt player, who we all think, is overrated.

If I were NJ, I would target James Neal/Jamie Benn and perhaps Jack Campbell from dallas.

St.Louis and LA have a wealth of prospects (Much better than VAN's) and could be serious contenders by next year.

Colorado may also be a contender next year and have some younger players with great value.

Above teams also have alot of cap space, unlike VAN who would have to take away some pieces.

<br />If Dallas can't sign Richards, I doubt they can afford Parise.<br /><br />L.A. would be a good fit. Same with St.Louis and Colorado on a smaller scale. But, who knows if they want to move that much depth? Also, who knows if Parise will re-sign there after being traded? Canucks are a contender, players want to play here. Playing on a line with Kesler (especially after he wins the Selke this year) will be very enticing, I am sure.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

From Parise's perspective:

Parise is a First Liner for sure. How would he feel having to play on a second line behind the sedins?

Cap Space. On a team like STL, COL, DAL, LA, there is plenty of $$$ for parise to be really set. Not so sure about VAN.

Rich Nash is getting 7.8M/year so I am unsure if Parise would simply settle for 6M.

Cup Window. After Colorado, STL, LA, and DAL get some additional development from their younger players, they 'll have a window open for years and years. I think VAN has a really good chance in next 2-3 years, but the window will definitely be smaller than the above teams. Next year, we will lose a top 4 dman, and if Parise is signed, we ll lose more.

Me personally, I would love Parise on my team, but so would 29 other teams in the league.

Everybody would want him. What if Anaheim packages Bobby Ryan? I don't think any of our packages could compare to that, unless we include Kesler or something. In any event, I don't see it being possible for us to fit him in salary cap wise without moving one of the earners.

New Jersey needs the cap space as well don't forget in any trade scenario.... they can't take a ton of salary back that might be part of the best possible package offered.

I would totally do:

Raymond

Schneider

Good prospect (even Hodgson, since we don't have any dire need for centres in teh near term)

Parise

maybe a mid pick

Having ANOTHER 5+million dollar forward isn't the way Gillis is going to go. As awesome as Parise would be... His cap hit will be much too big of a blow to our D corps. And a good D corps is where I believe Gillis is going with the team.

I'd rather SOMEHOW get Weber, or keep both Bieksa (while I used to hate him, he's playing great with Hamhuis) and Ehrhoff.

In my opinion - 2 above average D > Parise.

Give Kesler better, cheaper linemates and his line will be a force no matter what. (Tambellini, Hansen, Hodgson, Leino, etc ALL will still make that line VERY good).

If Parise is going to be traded to Vancouver, Edler would probably be one of the players New Jersey wants going the other way. Why do some people here think New Jersey would want Bieksa or Ehrhoff back in a trade? Both players are UFA after this season. New Jersey is out of the playoff picture and can make an offer to Bieksa or Ehrhoff in the offseason if they wanted them. Why waste your biggest bargaining chip on players that could just walk away after this season when they're not even in a position to make the playoffs at this point?

This shouldn't even be in this forum. This isn't even a rumour, it's proposals. Whether he wants to stick around long term in NJ or not, one thing is for sure, he's not available right now, and probably not for years (if ever). I still think he's a Devil for life if they can turn it around there.

If they can't turn it around, the earliest he might be moved is in 2012 as he approaches unrestricted free agency.

Archived