The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Captain Bob

So I got Star Fox 64, which was $15 as said. It's really not too bad. It's exactly like Star Fox 64, with vastly improved visuals, and similar gameplay. Potentially the exact same gameplay depending on what mode you chose. It's not the prettiest game, but on a side by side comparison with the original, you can see all the differences.

The gyroscopic controls are a nice feature, but they don't make for the smoothest of flying, not without practice at least. It's not like Resident Evil Revelations, where shooting with the gyroscopic controls inherently improve the experience (at least they do for me personally.)

I would have been disappointed to buy it for $40 like it was when released, but $15 is not bad for having a portable version of Starfox 64. It's kinda designed to be played on the go.

Also started playing Shin Megami Tensei IV. Holy crap is that game tough. Tough doesn't begin to describe the game. It's relentless. You fight, you die, and then you die some more. Doesn't matter how much you train your team, you're going to keep running into demons ready to one shot kill and perma-death your teammates.

You have to save after action, and restart frequently. Really pulls you out of the experience. Can't comment on the game as a whole until the training sequences are over, but it's taking a hell of a long time to get there.

The 3ds xl was only 150 on black friday weekend. I think, the limited Zelda one was around that price too. very good deal, lots of good games coming out of it. Can play ds games too.

definitely interested to see bravely default and persona just recently announcing their persona 3/4 crossover jrpg.

Zelda one didn't drop to that. I pre ordered it and got it on release day, so I was checking to make sure it didn't drop to that on black friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Also started playing Shin Megami Tensei IV. Holy crap is that game tough. Tough doesn't begin to describe the game. It's relentless. You fight, you die, and then you die some more. Doesn't matter how much you train your team, you're going to keep running into demons ready to one shot kill and perma-death your teammates.

You have to save after action, and restart frequently. Really pulls you out of the experience. Can't comment on the game as a whole until the training sequences are over, but it's taking a hell of a long time to get there.

Definitely. I gave up after training. Maybe will go back when i'm ever in the mood, but I'm sure when i go back, I'll have forgotten everything in training =/.

I'm really looking forward to Bravely Default, coming out here next February. It's been released in Japan and Europe, but they prolonged the localization here for whatever reason.

The game looks brilliant, though, with this old school JRPG feel. The praise for the game seems to be fairly universal as well.

One disappointing thing though, is that the collector's edition in North America looks wimpy compared to that of other regions:

Japan:

34do9hv.jpg

Europe:

2yoer10.jpg

North America:

wjudqx.png

It's kinda sad, lol. But honestly, at only $50 it's not the worst deal. I would say it's good enough that I threw a pre-order at it (don't need to worry about guessing how good the game will be, lol.)

Well, it would actually seem a bit better if ATLUS didn't do this kind of release for its 3DS games free of extra charge, but that's just a matter of being a bit spoiled.

Trying to think whether or not to get Bravely Default Collectors or not, but for the 10 dollar difference, I might as well i guess. Not like, there's any other game i can throw my money at, for the next little while.

I went out and got Animal Crossing New Leaf a while ago and just found it wasn't my type of game. So recently I traded it in and got Rune Factory 4 and I am greatly enjoying the added action rpg elements. The farming is a cool spin off of harvest moon and I am really enjoying the anime feel, reminds me of playing old rpgs but with a sim format instead of linear story. You can even You can even capture monsters and make them do your bidding....uh I mean farming, uh yea thats it. Anybody else play this game or have any comments?

Definitely. I gave up after training. Maybe will go back when i'm ever in the mood, but I'm sure when i go back, I'll have forgotten everything in training =/.

Yeah, I haven't gotten back into the game yet myself. But that's just a matter of other games taking up that time. I'm trying to finish Virtue's Last Reward, but tracking down every single plot line is taking a while.

Trying to think whether or not to get Bravely Default Collectors or not, but for the 10 dollar difference, I might as well i guess. Not like, there's any other game i can throw my money at, for the next little while.

That's the logic that's being used by most, I think. That collector's edition has been a 3DS top seller on both the EB Games website and Amazon for the last month. Makes sense. It's $10, lol.

I went out and got Animal Crossing New Leaf a while ago and just found it wasn't my type of game. So recently I traded it in and got Rune Factory 4 and I am greatly enjoying the added action rpg elements. The farming is a cool spin off of harvest moon and I am really enjoying the anime feel, reminds me of playing old rpgs but with a sim format instead of linear story. You can even You can even capture monsters and make them do your bidding....uh I mean farming, uh yea thats it. Anybody else play this game or have any comments?

I've been thinking about picking it up Rune Factory at some point, but not at full price. As a harvest Moon type clone though, I can see myself playing Rune Factory 4. The reviews aren't bad, but there are certain things about the game that turn me off of it.

I've abstained from buying Animal Crossing for then same reasons, as I'm almost certain it's a game I'll never get into.

I bought Donkey Kong Country Returns on Boxing Day, and that game has been a blast. It kinda has to be, considering it's just a portable port of an already awesome game.

Yea Animal crossing demanded a lot of time to get anywhere I found, like build up your town. Pus I just didn't find the activities very fun like fishing and digging etc. Much to kiddie for my tastes.

If you got any questions about Rune Factory 4 fire away. I'm still pretty early in it but I'll help if I can.

picked up the 2DS after returning the 3DS XL felt awkward to hold and the hinge didn't seem the greatest but the 2DS is perfect for me i had the regular 3DS before but never used the 3D effect that much so other than it not being able to close up i love it

got Pokemon X and Y and A Link Between Worlds

I got Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Maro & Luigi: Dream Team using Futureshop to pricematch Target's boxing day sale, and picked up those games for $13 each, lol. Could've gotten Luigi's Mansion as well, which I was what I was actually after, but it was sold out.

All seem pretty good. Wouldn't recommend Mario Kart or Super Mario Bros at full price, but at that low a sale, they're more than worth it. The Mario & Luigi RPG though starts off really slow though. So many tutorials delivered in an obstructive manner. And the game itself has been too easy so far. Can't complain about it overall though. It hasn't been too bad.

I got Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Maro & Luigi: Dream Team using Futureshop to pricematch Target's boxing day sale, and picked up those games for $13 each, lol. Could've gotten Luigi's Mansion as well, which I was what I was actually after, but it was sold out.

All seem pretty good. Wouldn't recommend Mario Kart or Super Mario Bros at full price, but at that low a sale, they're more than worth it. The Mario & Luigi RPG though starts off really slow though. So many tutorials delivered in an obstructive manner. And the game itself has been too easy so far. Can't complain about it overall though. It hasn't been too bad.

The ridiculous amount of tutorials in Dream Team really annoyed me, especially considering this is the 4th game in the series and the mechanics are still very similar. Even if you've never played any of the previous ones, its not tough to pick up. It just felt a lot like the game was holding my hand through the entire game... aside from that, I really liked it. The battles where you're controlling the Giant Luigi are actually pretty tough.

Also picked up Shin Megami Tensei IV recently, and am loving it. Haven't played a game this challenging in a long time... it's taking me a while to get used to the complexity of the battle and fusion systems but its incredibly refreshing. If it weren't for the guide that comes with it'd be even more of a struggle.

Well, it got game of the year from a bunch of places and looks similar to A Link to the Past. I'd get it 100%.

I can't decide. I think, I'm going to get 2 of the following; Fire Emblem Awakening, Zelda A link between world, or Bravely Default.

Plus, Final Fantasy; Lightning Returns will be out, 3 days after Bravely Default.

Sure, i could just buy them all, but if that happens, I think, I'll end up forgetting about it and it'll turn into one of those games that just sits around untouched. Aside from Zelda, they're all potential 50+ hour games.

That being said, I'm still trying to complete Chrono Trigger, which I've had for a few months now, but only logged in 10 hours so far. Looking for a Hotel Dusk, but impossible to find.

Also picked up Shin Megami Tensei IV recently, and am loving it. Haven't played a game this challenging in a long time... it's taking me a while to get used to the complexity of the battle and fusion systems but its incredibly refreshing. If it weren't for the guide that comes with it'd be even more of a struggle.

That's probably one of the many reasons i stopped playing, finished up until the guide ended, and felt completely intimidated.

That's probably one of the many reasons i stopped playing, finished up until the guide ended, and felt completely intimidated.

I would say I felt the same, but I got the hang of it soon after. I mean it's still not easy in any sense of the word, but it doesn't feel impossible like it did before. By the same token, I haven't been playing the game of late at all. Though that has more to do with just how many games I've acquired recently rather than the quality of SMT IV.

I'm still seriously contemplating on getting a 3DS. I feel like if I get one though, that it will be the XL. The 2DS just doesn't appeal to me, especially how it isn't something you can really carry around in a pocket.

The 3DS XL just seems way bigger and better.

I already know of more than a few games I would buy right away, being Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Zelda, and even Bravely Default. I've already borrowed my buddy's 3DS and beat Ocarina of Time 3DS and Star Fox 3DS, but those are just remade N64 games. I feel like I really want a 3DS.

I was playing Resident Evil Revelations again today. And while I still feel strongly about it being the only playable Resident Evil game since the 4th one, the writing in this game really has to be amongst the worst I've seen in a game, ever. Not as bad as the 6th game, but it's awful. Great game, but the presentation it's trapped around brings it down. Want to stress that I still recommend Resident Evil Revelations heavily, before I rip it apart, lol.

Now one of the players you have to be is Chris Redfield, and while I hate the guy, he's far from the worst character in the game. I mean he's really at his worst in the game, and is the same unlikable blob that he is in every game, but the cast of surrounding characters is getting worse and worse every entry. So I don't even know where to put him in comparison.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in this forum before, but there are these two godawful comic relief guys Quinn and Keith, who's comedy is derived from the fact that they are complete morons (seriously, that's what the writers were going for). Worse yet, you have to actually play as them for a mission or two. It's a pain. And they get this obvious fakeout death sequence, just to tease you, before they miraculously show up at the end. It's a real shame.

There's this one periphery character who randomly becomes integral to the story in Raymond, who is this poorly acted, weird ass looking, bland as hell guy, who is presented like he has this personality to observe.

Then there's the villain of ... crap, I can't even remember his name. But God, is he the worst. I don't know what it is with Capcom's villains of late, but they are just trending down hard. He's presented forcefully ominous, with the most ambiguous, nonsensical motivation I can think of.

That goes for the whole story, really. I lost track of what the hell was going on, and I really couldn't care less in the end. None of what's happening seems any bit logical, and the characters fail to act human in any basic manner.

At least you get to be Jill Valentine for most of the game, so there's at least that. She's not too bad. Not great, but she'll do. Her partner in this game is not too bad either.

The game on the whole though, it still deserves my praise. The great graphics/visuals, the smooth controls, and gameplay carry the game from start to finish, despite what goes on otherwise. The atmosphere and the tone of the game early on are especially great, it's just a shame that the story starts to overwhelm towards the end. I'll probably play the game a 3rd time over eventually, but I'm just going to skip all the story sequences this time, lol.

What I really need from Capcom is a game with Leon, Claire, and maybe Rebecca Chambers, set in a generic non-convoluted, simple story. It's not too much to ask. At least they realized that the fans are getting fed up with them, so that's a positive sign for future entries of any kind.

With these last entries, they have demonstrated some of the most pretentious, nonsense this side of Bioware. The guys in control now seem to be so high on their own crap, that they need to go.

Archived