The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Captain Bob

Luckily as Atlus games they'll go on sale at some point but yeah, $60 is harsh. Its bad enough that game prices got bumped up cause of the weak Canadian dollar but when you get extra bonus stuff that you don't really need thrown in with the game it really makes you question whether its worth buying or not. And fortunately I got Code Name Steam as a gift so I'd say that despite its faults it was worth playing for $0. :P

Side note, I only just found out about this a few days ago, but SMT IV is getting a revamp of sorts; a new game in the same universe as IV but with an entirely different story. Gotta say I'm pretty damn excited for this as SMT IV is one of my two favourite 3DS games (the other being FE:A)

That bonus stuff doesn't really fluctuate the price though, as weird as it is. It's only a bonus for the first print production of any given game, and they don't reduce the price for their second print. It's meant to be a free gift to someone who backs them early. If I were to buy a plain Copy of Devil Survivor 2, it'd still cost me $60.

That new game does seem compelling though.

So my pre-order of Fire Emblem Fates has officially split up, and they're now officially and now selling the game as 2 parts in stores.

Sigh, damn it Nintendo. I don't want to give them $100 for the full game (plus whatever the third DLC is), so I won't. Can't see why they couldn't bundle everything into some collector's or premium edition, rather than just offer everything as DLC, somewhat discounted or not.

I've already complained about this thing, so I won't repeat myself. It's just not how games should be released. Multiple branches of stories, brilliant. Selling branches as separate games, not so good. I was hoping their would any pushback against the decision, but this is the kind of thing that Nintendo fans would not argue with, as they barely even start to argue with Nintendo about more legitimate things, lol. I'm sure people will look at this and equate to it to a Pokemon game situation (which it isn't.)

My pre-order defaulted to being for Birthright, which is fine, I guess. There's no way to know what is better, as it's asking me to make a major decision in the story, without not just playing the first act in the game, but not even a brief moment or two to see which side is actually justified, or just straight up more interesting.

I was thinking Birthright had the more interesting characters and relationships, but Conquest has the more interesting storyline and situation. Maybe I'd have wished to play the third path straight as a standalone game. I don't know. What I do know is that it's unnecessarily ruining what could be a great experience before I even start. 

It's pretty annoying that they've decided to go this route with FE. I'll still end up picking up one of the games though, seeing that I really like FE and I also need more 3DS games to justify buying my new 3DS in the Summer.

I haven't looked up very much about the game as my brother has been keeping me filled in, so I don't know tons about the different paths. I'd be more interested in Conquest from what Bassi said though.

• 4 weeks later...

sPjVaeB.jpg

So apparently they are releasing a special edition of the game in North America, but unless I'm missing something, most Canadian stores don't have the option to pre-order this yet. They've sold out in American stores, it seems. It's very limited edition, and no body will be able to get their hands on it without buying from a scalper.

The reason I bring this up though, is that this edition comes with all the games on a single game card. All three versions. Why can't they just release that all encompassing version on its own, sans the special edition stuff? This is literally all I wanted, even if it's near, or at, double the price of the basic copy. For now the buying options remain the same here. Buy them all separate, or buy one and then the others as DLC (or only DLC in the case of "Revelation"). Stupid.

1 hour ago, CanuckianOne said:

That sucks. I was under the impression that the special edition was going to be the complete game, not a 3DS bundle WITH the complete game.

I don't think it is? It looks to be the 3 in 1 game cart w/ case, the art book, and a themed pouch for the 3DS.

It's $80 USD in the States, but sold out everywhere like I said, and not available in Canada yet, seeimingly.

I'd like to pick up the special edition if possible, but if not, again like I said, I just really hope that 3 in 1 cart will be sold seperately as well.

From what I know, the three games tell the story from three different perspectives on the war. 

One for each side, and then the third is an overview of the entire thing. There are also some other differences between the games too. I think Birthright is more like Awakening and Conquest is more like old school FE when it comes to gameplay.

If you buy Birthright or Conquest, you're able to buy the other one through the e-shop for a discounted price. I think it's $30, but I'm not positive on that. I believe the third version (Revelation) is DLC only if you don't get the special edition.

11 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

What's the difference between the 3 versions, @g_bassi13 ?

It's what CanuckianOne suggested. Storywise, it's 3 different paths and angles on the same war. One you side with the Japanese-ish side, which is called "Birthright". The one called "Conquest" follows the European-ish side. "Revelation" is one where they pair together against a common enemy, or something along those lines (I've avoided digging into it for spoilers sake). I don't know about the gameplay first hand, because again, I don't to look too hard into a game that has already been released in full, but what has been suggested by CanuckianOne about the gameplay above sounds right with other things I've heard.

Though I think the $30 DLC pricetag is the American one, where the base game is $40, and the Canadian price will be higher. But that's right about on the ways to buy the game. The special edition is the only full edition out there for purchase right now (and it's not out in Canada, yet). You can buy both Conquest and Birthright as separate full priced copies, but Revelation is only a DLC, and it's mandatory that you buy at least one of the other games before you can download it as an add on. The DLC's will likely be scaled up in price to match the Canadian Dollar, but will be a bit cheaper than buying them separately (Probably like $40+ as opposed to $50.)

I don't want to buy DLCs and separate copies of essentially the same game so I could have a complete copy of it. Hence what is sounding like a rant from me.

3 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

It's what CanuckianOne suggested. Storywise, it's 3 different paths and angles on the same war. One you side with the Japanese-ish side, which is called "Birthright". The one called "Conquest" follows the European-ish side. "Revelation" is one where they pair together against a common enemy, or something along those lines (I've avoided digging into it for spoilers sake). I don't know about the gameplay first hand, because again, I don't to look too hard into a game that has already been released in full, but what has been suggested by CanuckianOne about the gameplay above sounds right with other things I've heard.

Though I think the $30 DLC pricetag is the American one, where the base game is $40, and the Canadian price will be higher. But that's right about on the ways to buy the game. The special edition is the only full edition out there for purchase right now (and it's not out in Canada, yet). You can buy both Conquest and Birthright as separate full priced copies, but Revelation is only a DLC, and it's mandatory that you buy at least one of the other games before you can download it as an add on. The DLC's will likely be scaled up in price to match the Canadian Dollar, but will be a bit cheaper than buying them separately (Probably like $40+ as opposed to $50.)

I don't want to buy DLCs and separate copies of essentially the same game so I could have a complete copy of it. Hence what is sounding like a rant from me.

Yeah, I already know as a fact that since there's 2 copies to buy, I'll only be getting one. F that.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone manage to get their hands on the Bravely Second Collector's Edition? I swear that pre-order was being sold online for a few minutes before it sold out everywhere. Hopefully it comes back soon enough. They had more than enough copies of that special edition for Bravely Default, but that one went up for sale very early, not just a few months before release. Also, there's still no regular release edition out yet, for whatever reason. Remedy both of those things, Nintendo.

But it's good to see that my 3 favourite 3DS games will all be getting sequels out this year. Fire Emblem and its awkward ass release is less than a month away. (They never ended up releasing that "Special (full) Edition" in Canada.) Bravely Second is April? Then the Zero Escape sequel, "Zero Time Dilemma" will probably come out in the second half of the year. Should be gooood.

Too bad that the Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover "Paper Jam" is about as lackluster as I was worried it was going to be. Just release a proper God Damn Paper Mario RPG Nintendo. This is the third time they've screwed that up, lol. There's now more "experiments" and "spinoffs" for Paper Mario games than there are actual Paper Mario games now. And the last one was released 12 years ago.

It's too bad that other Final Fantasy game looks like a write off. Thought it might be fun, but it's being made to sound as if the $45 price is steep, if the game is even worth getting at all.

On 2016-01-30 at 10:36 PM, g_bassi13 said:

Did anyone manage to get their hands on the Bravely Second Collector's Edition? I swear that pre-order was being sold online for a few minutes before it sold out everywhere. Hopefully it comes back soon enough. They had more than enough copies of that special edition for Bravely Default, but that one went up for sale very early, not just a few months before release. Also, there's still no regular release edition out yet, for whatever reason. Remedy both of those things, Nintendo.

But it's good to see that my 3 favourite 3DS games will all be getting sequels out this year. Fire Emblem and its awkward ass release is less than a month away. (They never ended up releasing that "Special (full) Edition" in Canada.) Bravely Second is April? Then the Zero Escape sequel, "Zero Time Dilemma" will probably come out in the second half of the year. Should be gooood.

Too bad that the Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover "Paper Jam" is about as lackluster as I was worried it was going to be. Just release a proper God Damn Paper Mario RPG Nintendo. This is the third time they've screwed that up, lol. There's now more "experiments" and "spinoffs" for Paper Mario games than there are actual Paper Mario games now. And the last one was released 12 years ago.

It's too bad that other Final Fantasy game looks like a write off. Thought it might be fun, but it's being made to sound as if the $45 price is steep, if the game is even worth getting at all.

I still haven't played Bravely Default....and I know it's a game I would love. I suppose I should get around to that! I haven't touched my 3DS in months because I've been trying to get through the backlog of other games I haven't finished yet.

Bravely should be the next game I buy. I've never even heard of Zero Time, I guess I'll check that out too.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Yeah, I wish they could just make another decent Paper Mario game.

8 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

I still haven't played Bravely Default....and I know it's a game I would love. I suppose I should get around to that! I haven't touched my 3DS in months because I've been trying to get through the backlog of other games I haven't finished yet.

Bravely should be the next game I buy. I've never even heard of Zero Time, I guess I'll check that out too.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Yeah, I wish they could just make another decent Paper Mario game.

I figure it's not too hard to make another proper Paper Mario game, the problem is that they're not even trying. As in they don't have the intention of making a straight forward Paper Mario game at all. I was hoping they would change their tone after Sticker Star, but they continue to double down on all this.

Zero Escape is a really fun game, though I'm assuming it's a lot harder to find nowadays. Puzzle game come choose your own adventure mystery. Not really a choose your own adventure though, as you need to actually follow all 9-ish paths to gather secrets and knowledge, and use them to progress further down the other paths to follow all the truths, solve the mystery, and complete the game. The first path I went down was the "true" one though, so I'll chalk that up to winning the choose your own adventure aspect of it, lol.

The puzzle aspect is even better, where you're put in a room, and have to follow a series of clues in order to get what you need and get out of there. Almost exactly like those escape/exit rooms that have been popping up around Metro Vancouver for the last few years.

It's a great game. The sequel is a follow up to this. This last Zero Escape game was itself a sequel to a DS game, but that wasn't necessary to enjoying it. Don't know if that will be the case again.

I don't really enjoy puzzles personally though, so I don't play the Zero Escape games. I do enjoy watching playthroughs of them though. 

Starting to get excited for FE. I'm getting Conquest and my brother is picking up Birthright 

I've got Birthright. I dunno about ever getting Conquest, maybe if it ends up on sale at Best Buy or Amazon and the such. It's too bad that literally no options materialized in Canada to buy all the games in a bundle. Kind of silly that it didn't, really. Not like most people elsewhere got to take advantage when the scalpers just bought up limited supplies before actual gamers could.

Even the "New 3DS XL Fire Emblem Edition" doesn't come with the game. Not saying it doesn't come with all 3, I'm saying it doesn't come with a single one of them. Of all the stupid things I could say about the release of this game, that's the stupidest one. If all they bother to do nowadays is slap a faceplate on the handheld, and "Digitally preload" a game onto it, they could at the very least have found a way to include "Revelation" which is digitally available only either way.

They really, reaaaalllly want to milk this game for all it's worth. At this point I'm probably just going to play Birthright and call it a day on this game/mini-series or whatever. I'm probably going to enjoy the Birthright storyline the least, but the idea of 66% of the whole thing being held away regardless of the full AAA game price paid, sours me towards the experience, knowing how incomplete it is.

I mentioned earlier how I thought it was a false comparison before, but it still irks me that people try and compare it to Nintendo splitting up their Pokemon games. But fanboys gotta fanboy, I guess.

I do hope almost hope the game fails at this point though, as I don't want Nintendo to try this again, and do it to another Fire Emblem game.

I'm not a fan of splitting the game up either. More than likely I'll play Conquest and then my Brother's copy of Birthright at a much later date. The third DLC storyline, I'll probably never get to. I'd rather move onto new games at that point. 

I would have just rather the game focus on one side of the war like most games do, or have the main protagonist end up on both sides naturally over the course of the story. Keeping the entire game / story in one game cart and one playthrough. 

Archived