The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Captain Bob

12 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

are the SMT games connected narratively? do I have to play them in order?

if not, which would you recommend starting with for 3DS?

Apocalypse is a sequel/alternative to SMT IV but other than that the rest of the series isn't really connected. I think you could play Apocalypse without playing SMT IV first though, they explain the events of the previous game and it focuses on new characters so you're not expected to know their backstories beforehand.

SMT IV is a lot cheaper than Apocalypse right now, since Atlus usually slashes their prices on games after a while. It might be tough to get a new copy but there are used copies here and there, and you can get it on the eShop for around $15 whenever Atlus has a sale. Apocalypse is about $70 since its brand new.

SMT IV is pretty tough for new players though, I had a rough time with the beginning of the game since I'd never played an SMT game before, but like with any game once you play enough you get the hang of it. I clocked about 80 hours on it by the time I'd finished, so there's a lot of content to keep you playing. Apocalypse is definitely easier though so it wouldn't be too backwards to play them in reverse order and ease your way in like that. There's also difficulty modes to choose from in Apocalypse unlike SMT IV.

I hope this helps somewhat!

• 1 month later...

I'm not 100% sure why, because I played Pokemon Y for like 5 hours and never touched it again, but I just bought Pokemon Moon.

Let's see how far I get before I get bored.

It's not that I was really bored with Pokemon Y, but I just never seem to make any time to sit down and play a handheld game. Whenever I have time like that it always goes to console or PC.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd revive this thread - this kind of got lost in the whole Nintendo Switch hype.

Seems like Nintendo has a big year planned for Fire Emblem. Mobile game, Switch game, 3DS game. Its really come a long way from being a niche brand ~5 years ago; I'm still a little undecided on whether or not this is a good thing.

Normally I'm not a huge fan of remakes but since this one was originally a Japanese exclusive its basically a brand new game for the west. I think the Switch/3DS could be good ways to republish a lot of the older Fire Emblem games in English

I'm excited for Fire Emblem Echoes on 3DS, that comes out on May 19, the 3DS is still going strong, but if the Switch really sells well and takes off, I can see it as the replacement to the 3DS, even though Nintendo views the Switch as a Home Console first with the ability to be portable.

after grinding through a billion hours of pokemon alpha sapphire, beating Luigi's Mansion, and sorta growing bored with Ocarina of Time already (only about 3 hours in) - i'm looking for a new game.

anyone have any recommendations? prefer something RPG-y or strategy based. something I can get at least 30-50+ hours out of if I'm thorough.

Considering what I'm hearing about Gaiden, I'm not too sure how excited I should be about Echoes. Depends on how they evolve and modernize the mechanics.

But then again, I'm yet to even beat Fire Emblem Fates, so I should probably put a hold on playing the series until I can do that. I still can't get into it. I didn't think that with me being as excited as I could for the followup to Awakening, that it would turn into an expensive paperweight, but it has.

41 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

after grinding through a billion hours of pokemon alpha sapphire, beating Luigi's Mansion, and sorta growing bored with Ocarina of Time already (only about 3 hours in) - i'm looking for a new game.

anyone have any recommendations? prefer something RPG-y or strategy based. something I can get at least 30-50+ hours out of if I'm thorough.

Totally Fire Emblem Awakening if you haven't yet tried it (it's both a strategy and an RPG in one). Bravely Default if you want a more of a classic RPG play. Zero Escape: Virtue's last reward, if you want to play a depressing puzzle type adventure game.

I don't know if I've recommended these games to you or whatever in the past, I'm just literally relisting my favourite 3DS games.

On the topics of unfinished games though, I still haven't been able to finish Zero Time Dilemma. Though unlike Fire Emblem I'm putting a lot of effort into trying to beat it.

But the way the game is structured is very frustrating. Far more so than the Virtue's Last Reward. I can't figure out how to unlock new segments, figure out passwords to unrelated scenes, or tie any of the story together.

Besides the interface and the progression being obtuse, the game is also just too macabre. The last game had you have to play every path and watch everyone die (multiple times) until the tue ending began to present itself. In this one, you don't just watch everyone die, you have to actively muder them over and over and over to progress. It's more than I signed up for, and makes it more unpleasant than it needs to be.

Not the game was supposed to be "pleasant" or anything (lol), but it's all a bit much.

I can't really confirm an opinion without getting further into the game, and its still pretty good as is, but it shouldn't be this frustrating to progress at this point, mechanically or motivationally. 

40 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Considering what I'm hearing about Gaiden, I'm not too sure how excited I should be about Echoes. Depends on how they evolve and modernize the mechanics.

But then again, I'm yet to even beat Fire Emblem Fates, so I should probably put a hold on playing the series until I can do that. I still can't get into it. I didn't think that with me being as excited as I could for the followup to Awakening, that it would turn into an expensive paperweight, but it has.

Totally Fire Emblem Awakening if you haven't yet tried it (it's both a strategy and an RPG in one). Bravely Default if you want a more of a classic RPG play. Zero Escape: Virtue's last reward, if you want to play a depressing puzzle type adventure game.

I don't know if I've recommended these games to you or whatever in the past, I'm just literally relisting my favourite 3DS games.

Bravely Default is definitely on my list, but it's impossible to find in stores and it's expensive online, so I'll save that one for a bit.

I had my eye on Fire Emblem: Awakening the other day, so I think I'll go with that. Sounds like it's up my alley

19 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Bravely Default is definitely on my list, but it's impossible to find in stores and it's expensive online, so I'll save that one for a bit.

I had my eye on Fire Emblem: Awakening the other day, so I think I'll go with that. Sounds like it's up my alley

I looked it up because you mentioned it, and holy Jesus, my collector's edition of Bravely Default is worth $200 or so now, lol. I bought it for like $50, as it was only $10 more than the base game. Should've bought 2. 

I don't know what happened to the price here. It was available in plentiful quantities for so long, and sold pretty well for what it was. This aftermarket makes no sense.

Totally get your hands on it when you can though, it's a bit of a retro blast. I've been meaning to by Bravely Second forever now. Probably because of how sans-hype the manner in which Nintendo released it that I keep forgetting that it exists. No fault of the previous game though, it was great. I should probably do so before it falls out of stores and the same thing happens to it that did the first.

Fire Emblem Awakening is easily my favourite 3DS game, and one of my favourite games of all time in general. Turn Based, Map based, tactical RPG goodness. They went above and beyond in detail and complexity. Also it wasn't needlessly chopped up into two/three purchases like its sequel was, lol (I wouldn't still be pissed if the complete edition was cheaper, or was in any way attainable.)

On 1/27/2017 at 8:15 AM, g_bassi13 said:

That's awesome to hear. The game only gets better.

how bad is it if you lose team members kinda early on? haven't played a strategy game in so long that i was way too aggressive in some fights. lost some crucial (healer) members way early. should i just re-start, or does the team get replenished really quickly?

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

how bad is it if you lose team members kinda early on? haven't played a strategy game in so long that i was way too aggressive in some fights. lost some crucial (healer) members way early. should i just re-start, or does the team get replenished really quickly?

I mean it's not good. But you can always pivot to compensate for losses. There's no one way to build a team.

But you need healers, and you need to protect those healers. I don't remember there being too many.

Don't be aggressive, be conservative. Only throw your tanks to the forefront of the battle ground. Like Crom, Lucina, and your main character (depending on their class).

All that said though, the permanent death system is a large part of where I derive my fun of the game from. It's cool having the consequences of your actions hang on you like that, forcing you to find ways to make things otherwise work.

Archived