The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Captain Bob

Currently playing Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. The game itself is fairly messed up and dark, but as a game it makes for an intriguing play. A choose your own adventure come puzzle game, where the choices you make can get yourself and others killed, as you try and escape this weird prison.

I'm really liking it.

There's also 999 for the DS, it's Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward's prequel. I beat both, but for whatever reason, due to the flow chart in Virtue's Last Reward, it keeps me playing to see all the possible outcomes despite believing that i knew everything after the first play through. Problem with 999 was that there wasn't any flow charts, so you'd have to play the game all over again and I'm too lazy for that.

Yeah, I've looked into picking up that game as well. Looks like it makes for a well enough experience. I wouldn't quite know what to expect though, because I have yet to finish this 3DS one. I'll definitely be playing it again to trace over other plotlines.

I'm really looking forward to Bravely Default, coming out here next February. It's been released in Japan and Europe, but they prolonged the localization here for whatever reason.

The game looks brilliant, though, with this old school JRPG feel. The praise for the game seems to be fairly universal as well.

One disappointing thing though, is that the collector's edition in North America looks wimpy compared to that of other regions:

Japan:

34do9hv.jpg

Europe:

2yoer10.jpg

North America:

wjudqx.png

It's kinda sad, lol. But honestly, at only $50 it's not the worst deal. I would say it's good enough that I threw a pre-order at it (don't need to worry about guessing how good the game will be, lol.)

Well, it would actually seem a bit better if ATLUS didn't do this kind of release for its 3DS games free of extra charge, but that's just a matter of being a bit spoiled.

^^^^^^^

I have no idea about the story of the game or anything about it at all....but just by you saying that it has a JRPG feel and seeing the artwork there I want it.

The idea is that they wanted to make it like a Super Nintendo Final Fantasy game, which sounds pretty awesome as is. That the response since its release has been strongly positive, it only helps. I'm very excited about it, hence the extra $10 dropped on that collector's set. That's on pre-order at amazon.ca, for those that are interested.

i screwed up and missed a fire emblem awakening 24.99 sale though i notice starfox 64 is only 14.99 at futureshop/bestbuy?

Bravely Default sounds interesting but I'm going to have to wait until the reviews are out. The Zelda game looks real good. Just beat all of Zero Escape : Virtue's Last Reward got a bit confusing at the last ending but oh well. Still took 30 ish hours of my life so that's a win.

i screwed up and missed a fire emblem awakening 24.99 sale though i notice starfox 64 is only 14.99 at futureshop/bestbuy?

Bravely Default sounds interesting but I'm going to have to wait until the reviews are out. The Zelda game looks real good. Just beat all of Zero Escape : Virtue's Last Reward got a bit confusing at the last ending but oh well. Still took 30 ish hours of my life so that's a win.

I'll probably go pick up Star Fox tomorrow, if that's all it costs. I'm naturally iffy when it comes to remakes, and the initial $40 was just asking for too much, but considering the game is one of my very favourites of all time, I can see getting it for $15.

As for Bravely default though, Japanese and European reviews for the game have been released. And reading the specifics of what they say paints a very good picture of what I want in a game.

I mean, the last proper Final Fantasy type game I played was Dragon Quest IX, and before that... I can't even be sure, lol (It surely wasn't one that has been released in the licensed Final Fantasy series of late)

I mean, as good as the RPG genre is shaping up to be on the 3DS (the number of great JRPGs are seemingly increasing every month), there still wouldn't be a comparable enough game in terms of style.

bassi you just sold me on the 3ds based on that bravely default thing alone

think i might pick one of these up on boxing day

Bravely Default itself won't be released until February 7 next year, but the 3DS makes for a good investment either way. Fire Emblem: Awakening alone makes it worth the purchase. It's nothing short of spectacular.

The 3ds xl was only 150 on black friday weekend. I think, the limited Zelda one was around that price too. very good deal, lots of good games coming out of it. Can play ds games too.

definitely interested to see bravely default and persona just recently announcing their persona 3/4 crossover jrpg.

The 3ds xl was only 150 on black friday weekend. I think, the limited Zelda one was around that price too. very good deal, lots of good games coming out of it. Can play ds games too.

definitely interested to see bravely default and persona just recently announcing their persona 3/4 crossover jrpg.

I saw the Persona thing, and it seems a bit odd, lol. I mean they talk about how they've modelled this crossover after Etrian Odyssey. I mean I have Etrian Odyssey IV, and it's a great game, but I don't want a Persona game to be like Etrian Odyssey, I want it to be a Persona game. There's no real lack of pure dungeon crawlers on the 3DS, so to take a more balanced game and twist it so that the focus gets shifted towards what there's already an abundance of.... I dunno. Makes it harder to get excited about it.

If you take focus away from the simulation aspect of the game, it makes it feel pointless. It would be nice to have a Persona game on the 3DS that's in line with the traditional formula. I guess I'll have to wait until it's out, and cast whatever judgement then.

On that note though, I picked up Shin Megami Tensei IV on Black Friday for $30, the first print limited/collector's edition, which made for an awesome deal. Haven't been able to try the game because of exams and last minute assignments, but I'm going to finally load it up tomorrow. The artbook/strategy guide that it came with is itself just jam-packed with stuff. As I said before, it's awesome that Atus just adds these things with their games for free, even if it's just in the initial release run of copies. Getting that edition of SMT IV, 5 months after the release, and on sale, it's an awesome feel.

I pre-ordered Shin Megami Tensei IV. You might need to be patient with that one, because i spend about 10-15 hours on the first part, passing everything on that mini strategy book that you get with it. After that, with little story development, I gave up, but honestly, i think the game starts once you finish that part of the game.

Agreed with the Persona thing, but its probably far from complete. I'll also reserve my judgement until it comes out.

A few more things to look for are Monster Hunter 4, and for anime fans, Attack of the Titans 3ds looks interesting..wonder if it's anything like monster hunter

Found this on neogaf:

http://nintendoevery...ting-on-sunday/

Best Buy will be running several notable Nintendo deals starting on Sunday.

First, a number of Nintendo titles will be included in a “buy 1, get 1 50% off” sale. Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Mario Party: Island Tour, and Pokemon X/Y are listed in this week’s circular. Additional titles will be a part of the sale as well.

Also at Best Buy, consumers can save 20 percent on all eShop cards, receive a $25 gift card with the purchase of the Mario & Luigi Wii U bundle, and save $20 on all 3DS XL handhelds.

These offers will last through December 14.

Might be for US only, but it's worth keeping an key out just in case, if you don't already have those games.

Fire Emblem Awakening 14.99, at bestbuy america. I'm totally jelly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fire-emblem-awakening-nintendo-3ds/7366094.p;jsessionid=3C3A8F60634316D41558474BFB71BEA9.bbolsp-app03-174?id=1218840758864&skuId=7366094&st=fire%20emblem&lp=1&cp=1

I'm really looking forward to Bravely Default, coming out here next February. It's been released in Japan and Europe, but they prolonged the localization here for whatever reason.

The game looks brilliant, though, with this old school JRPG feel. The praise for the game seems to be fairly universal as well.

I've been looking forward to this game ever since the Japanese previews. It reminds me of Final Fantasy IX. Also, the sequel, Bravely Second was announced today:

bravely_second_scan.jpg?w=474&h=632

So is just the standard 3DS the best model? Or is the XL/2D worth considering?

I recommend the XL. I have both the 3DS and the XL, I much prefer the larger screen of the XL.

I pre-ordered Shin Megami Tensei IV. You might need to be patient with that one, because i spend about 10-15 hours on the first part, passing everything on that mini strategy book that you get with it. After that, with little story development, I gave up, but honestly, i think the game starts once you finish that part of the game.

Agreed with the Persona thing, but its probably far from complete. I'll also reserve my judgement until it comes out.

A few more things to look for are Monster Hunter 4, and for anime fans, Attack of the Titans 3ds looks interesting..wonder if it's anything like monster hunter

Well, I guess I'll see for myself soon enough. I had heard that the game started off slow, but as per my understanding it does pick up strongly.

I've been looking forward to this game ever since the Japanese previews. It reminds me of Final Fantasy IX. Also, the sequel, Bravely Second was announced today:

I recommend the XL. I have both the 3DS and the XL, I much prefer the larger screen of the XL.

Well, I'm still sitting here waiting for the original to show up, lol. But it's good to know the success of this game has guaranteed the series a future.

As for which 3DS to buy, the original remains the most portable, but the XL is fair enough if you had no plans to keep it in your pants or jacket pockets (I mean it's manageable, but far less preferable.) The bigger screens on the XL are an obvious plus. Dunno if it's worth the extra $30 though. At a similar price point I'd take it over the original, I suppose.

As for the 2DS, I can't say I'm personally interested in it in the slightest. Dislike the design, especially the absence of the folding/clam set up. And though I don't have 3D turned on all the time for obvious reasons, to do away with it altogether would feel like a major loss, especially with certain games going all out to incorporate the feature into their visual style.

What's going on in that article about FFX + X-2 HD? I've been waiting for that PS3 version for a loooooooong time.

Archived