41 replies to this topic

#1 rotiman187

rotiman187

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

i am planning on getting a Samsung 46 inch LED tv. My question is that the tv is 60Hz and I have been told for watching hockey and other sports its important to get a 120hz. I just want to know if there is a big difference between the two and which one some experts on this forum would consider. Or if anyone know any other good deals for televisions that are on right now.

Thanks in Advance
Posted Image

#2 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

i am planning on getting a Samsung 46 inch LED tv. My question is that the tv is 60Hz and I have been told for watching hockey and other sports its important to get a 120hz. I just want to know if there is a big difference between the two and which one some experts on this forum would consider. Or if anyone know any other good deals for televisions that are on right now.

Thanks in Advance

I thought all Samsung LED TVs were at least 120Hz Refresh Rate? What model are you looking at?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#3 rotiman187

rotiman187

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

I thought all Samsung LED TVs were at least 120Hz Refresh Rate? What model are you looking at?

http://www.bestbuy.c...a396849ebcaen02
Posted Image

#4 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-46-1080p-led-hdtv-un46c5000-un46c5000/10140319.aspx?path=bb6db0314f963f49e42afa396849ebcaen02

Looks to be a 2010 model as all the 2011 are 120Hz Refresh Rate.

Here is a review which has one user do a side by side comparison with a 120 HZ and no real difference:
http://toplcdhdtv.co...46c5000-review/
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#5 trakstar

trakstar

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Have you considered plasma? I can't stand LED or LCD. But ya, I would never buy a 60hz set for sports.

#6 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

I have a 55 inch Samsung Led 240hz and hockey is amazing on it, HUGE difference over the old 60hz.

#7 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

I have a 55 inch Samsung Led 240hz and hockey is amazing on it, HUGE difference over the old 60hz.

Same TV i have i think, the 7000 series? On to the op question I owned a 60hz tv previous to the one I currently have and I did notice ghosting behind the puck and ball in baseball.

Edited by CanuckinEdm, 07 February 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#8 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

60hz is fine for games but for sports you will probably want at least 120 / 240hz
------------------------------------------------------------

#9 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

Same TV i have i think, the 7000 series? On to the op question I owned a 60hz tv previous to the one I currently have and I did notice ghosting behind the puck and ball in baseball.

Yeah, 7000 series, 3D.

#10 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

i bought a lcd 46 inch samsung 120 hz and even though i could've gotten the led version for 50 bux more i opted for lcd since the led one was 60 hz. whatever tv you get make sure its atleast 120hz, as you can tell from previous posts, it may make a difference and it sure would suck bringing the tv back after unpacking it.

EDIT: this is the tv i bought on boxing day for 749... http://www.samsung.c.../LN46C610N1FXZA

Edited by мцт вяздк чф, 08 February 2011 - 12:29 AM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#11 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

hey guys thought id bump this thread instead of making a new one, My parents just got a new T.V and was wondering if they chose a good quality one, here is the link for the tv they bought looks to be a good buy but is sharp one of the better brands for watching sports. CheersPosted Image

http://www1.thebrick...jump&navCount=2
GO Canucks GO

#12 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,456 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

I have the same one as well
Amazing quality hockey on there. Sportsnet feeds stink anyways but when games are on TSN even if I'm not watching in HD the quality is still awesome.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#13 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

hey guys thought id bump this thread instead of making a new one, My parents just got a new T.V and was wondering if they chose a good quality one, here is the link for the tv they bought looks to be a good buy but is sharp one of the better brands for watching sports. CheersPosted Image

http://www1.thebrick...jump&navCount=2

http://www.google.co...IwAA&os=reviews

It has pretty good reviews.

Posted Image

#14 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hey guys Im investing in a TV and was thinking of getting a plasma TV and I wanted to know from people who have had plasmas before if they are any good. The TV I plan on getting is a Panasonic 50 inch but the thing is its only 720p.. not to sure if its a drastic change from 1080p however Iv been trying to find research on the TV I was planning on getting but couldn't find one review which I think is a bad sign.

http://www.futuresho...5/10198951.aspx

would appreciate the help :)
GO Canucks GO

#15 JesseBlue

JesseBlue

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Reason people tend to buy lcd/led is also because of weight especially if you will mount it on a wall...of course there also other things to consider like room lighting etc

#16 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I would recommend not buying a Plasma. LCD/LED is much better compared to the two, I know because we used to have a plasma.

Plasma screen is much dimmer and sometimes the screen gets kind of weird like random spots, no problems with LED/LCD TV.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,105 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

I would recommend not buying a Plasma. LCD/LED is much better compared to the two, I know because we used to have a plasma.

Plasma screen is much dimmer and sometimes the screen gets kind of weird like random spots, no problems with LED/LCD TV.

:picard:

A quality plasma has superior PQ over 99% of LCD TV's any day other than in VERY bright rooms. They're also miles better at fast motion AKA sports.

Either you previously had an absolutely garbage plasma and/or you did not calibrate it remotely properly.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#18 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

A quality plasma has superior PQ over 99% of LCD TV's any day other than in VERY bright rooms. They're also miles better at fast motion AKA sports.

Either you previously had an absolutely garbage plasma and/or you did not calibrate it remotely properly.

I didn't say it had a bad quality picture, I just said it was dimmer compared to LCD/LED. I just had a bad experience with the plasma that I had.

The picture quality wasn't bad, there was something wrong with the TV. It only lasted a year and a half, but Sony LCD has been working great for the past 6 years.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,105 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

I didn't say it had a bad quality picture, I just said it was dimmer compared to LCD/LED. I just had a bad experience with the plasma that I had.

The picture quality wasn't bad, there was something wrong with the TV. It only lasted a year and a half, but Sony LCD has been working great for the past 6 years.

So not recommending a technology to someone based on one faulty example is an awesome idea now...?

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#20 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,780 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

Plasma's go faulty way more often. Many cases i've heard where they switched from plasma to lcd because their plasma crapped out.

Great picture though. While it lasts. But go lcd/led.
Posted Image

#21 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

The bright room issue exists for some LCD, and LED's too. If an LCD and LED have matte screen, there they are better in bright rooms, but LCD with glass screen has the same reflective properties as plasma (the glass screen on plasma is what causes them to reflect so much).

I used to sell TV's and I know a bit about them. Plasma's are much better TV's, but most companies want to sell you LED's etc, because it's better for them. Most people think brighter is better, but it's the opposite. You want your TV's to be able to show darker blacks (higher contrast ratio), because that will produce a better, more accurate image.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#22 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,780 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

btw all 120hz or 240hz (or anything beyond 60hz) tv's do is interpolate data between each frame to produce additional frames. It appears smoother, but also faker.

Old led's had motion blur, but that problem is extinct. New 60hz tv's are fine for watching all types of programming, but that won't stop marketers from pushing higher and higher refresh rates.

imo These tech gadgets to improve the picture often just get in the way of the picture, rather than actually improve it. Depends on what you'd prefer. Smooth, but fake? Or the actual source, which is never higher than 60hz. (Unless anyone can confirm that 120hz+ is now the actual source, i'm not sure.)
Posted Image

#23 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

So not recommending a technology to someone based on one faulty example is an awesome idea now...?

The OP says from OUR personal experience with the TV and I have a bad experience with plasma.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,105 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

The bright room issue exists for some LCD, and LED's too. If an LCD and LED have matte screen, there they are better in bright rooms, but LCD with glass screen has the same reflective properties as plasma (the glass screen on plasma is what causes them to reflect so much).

I used to sell TV's and I know a bit about them. Plasma's are much better TV's, but most companies want to sell you LED's etc, because it's better for them. Most people think brighter is better, but it's the opposite. You want your TV's to be able to show darker blacks (higher contrast ratio), because that will produce a better, more accurate image.

LCD's are still inherently brighter, (matte or gloss screen) which allows them to compete with ambient light better. Obviously a gloss screen will still have some issues with reflections as you noted. Otherwise pretty much agree with your post.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#25 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,105 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

The OP says from OUR personal experience with the TV and I have a bad experience with ONE FAULTY plasma.

Fixed ;)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#26 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Fixed ;)

Just because you like Plasma doesn't mean I have to, I had a bad experience with a Plasma TV and so now I dislike it and prefer a LCD/LED TV.

In the end the big companies are gonna end up making the money.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,105 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Just because you like Plasma doesn't mean I have to, I had a bad experience with a Plasma TV and so now I dislike it and prefer a LCD/LED TV.

In the end the big companies are gonna end up making the money.

You shouldn't like them because I do, you should like them because they have better PQ. I'm telling you that judging the entirety of a technology based on a single and broken example is pretty short sighted and unnecessarily reactionary.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#28 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

My Panasonic has burn in even tho they had supposedly fixed that issue at the time. Plasma ages and I'm considering LCD for my next set as well.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 31 August 2012 - 04:24 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#29 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

My Panasonic has burn in even tho they had supposedly fixed that issue at the time. Plasma ages and I'm considering LCD for my next set as well.

It's hard to get burn in. You have to make an effort to get it. Were you using it as a computer monitor?

That is true, but remember, a plasma that has lost it's black levels significantly still has better blacks than LED/LCD TV's.

Don't get me wrong, there are some REALLY nice LED tv's but they are out of the budget of your average person.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#30 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

It's hard to get burn in. You have to make an effort to get it. Were you using it as a computer monitor?

That is true, but remember, a plasma that has lost it's black levels significantly still has better blacks than LED/LCD TV's.

Don't get me wrong, there are some REALLY nice LED tv's but they are out of the budget of your average person.

Nope, regular 4X3 tv at times. Would always switch to a better channel for the same programme if available.Took a long time to get to a point where I couldn't tell what was previously there. The outer blacks (and colours) are far better than the inner colours to this day.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.