The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cricket

He-Man

Cricket (we are talking about the sport here), is having its 10th edition of the World Cup and most Canadians arent aware of this sporting event considered to be the 4th biggest sports event in the world, and Yes Canada is participating in the event with a strong 7 nationality laden Team.

The 10th ICC Cricket World Cup is being hosted jointly by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh starting from Feb 19th, 2011.

The opening ceremony took place on Feb 17th in Dhaka, Bangladesh with a dazzling array of songs, dances, fireworks and performances by Canada's own Rock legend - Bryan Adams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpye3nOh62U.

Cricket in Canada has a unique presence. Currently it is believed that its a game that only the new immigrants care for, but infact history tells us about days when Cricket was played before most other countries. Many Canadians may not know this, but cricket was designated Canada's first national sport thanks to Sir John A. Macdonald and the game was played on Canadian soil as early as 1785 in Montreal at what became the site of Expo'67..

Teams qualified for the 2011 Cricket World Cup

Groups-of-teams-of-cricket-world-cup-2011.jpg

Canada+icc+world+cup+cricket+team+2011.jpg

Edited by He-Man
  • Upvote 2

I am definitely one of those ignorant about Cricket. I love to watch unique international sports such as Aussie Rules and Gaelic Hurling/ Football, but Cricket never seemed appealing to me. I guess it's the fact that games can last several days, and I have no idea how the scoring system works. I lived in England for a few months about 10 years ago and remember watching a test match between the Brits and the Aussies, I just never got into it and got drunk instead.

It always seemed to me, at least, to be a more boring version of baseball. Still, I would be willing to give it a try if Canada is involved, and I'm sure it's nowhere near as complicated nor boring as I'm making it out to be...

will it be televised in Setanta here in Canada or just online?

I am definitely one of those ignorant about Cricket. I love to watch unique international sports such as Aussie Rules and Gaelic Hurling/ Football, but Cricket never seemed appealing to me. I guess it's the fact that games can last several days, and I have no idea how the scoring system works. I lived in England for a few months about 10 years ago and remember watching a test match between the Brits and the Aussies, I just never got into it and got drunk instead.

It always seemed to me, at least, to be a more boring version of baseball. Still, I would be willing to give it a try if Canada is involved, and I'm sure it's nowhere near as complicated nor boring as I'm making it out to be...

will it be televised in Setanta here in Canada or just online?

The format of Cricket has changed over the years. what used to be a 5 day game ( yes a single game that lasts 5 days) to a one Day game, i.e 2 innings of approx 3 hours each.

there is also a newer format called 20-20 or T20 which is basically 20 overs each innings which finishes in approx 3.5 hours.

the current world cup is of the One day variety aka ODI ( One Day International) in which each team gets 50 overs an inning (3 hours approx)

I beleive Setanta isnt gonna carry it. but ATN cricket plus is showing it. ( i just ordered that yesterday) its 14.99 Per month though ( little steep)

I called Shaw and got it yesterday, you can do the same by calling whoever your cable provider is. Otherwise there is the online free streaming option.

I didnt want to miss it, so i didnt want to rely on online as sometimes those streams just disappear. it will be my 15$ worth spent :)

I've had someone who plays cricket explain how it works to me and I still had no idea what was going on.

Probably isn't as complex as it's made out to be, and seems like a great game to play. Surprised Canada has a team in the World Cup. I know enough about cricket that I know they won't win, but hopefully they can pull off a respectable finish :)

BTW in a practice game between England and Canada 2 days ago, Vancouver's own Rizwan Cheema almost single handedly dealt a blow to The mighty England in an upset that would have shook the cricket world. But he fell short. Promising sign for Canadian Cricket :)

The format of Cricket has changed over the years. what used to be a 5 day game ( yes a single game that lasts 5 days) to a one Day game, i.e 2 innings of approx 3 hours each.

there is also a newer format called 20-20 or T20 which is basically 20 overs each innings which finishes in approx 3.5 hours.

the current world cup is of the One day variety aka ODI ( One Day International) in which each team gets 50 overs an inning (3 hours approx)

I beleive Setanta isnt gonna carry it. but ATN cricket plus is showing it. ( i just ordered that yesterday) its 14.99 Per month though ( little steep)

I called Shaw and got it yesterday, you can do the same by calling whoever your cable provider is. Otherwise there is the online free streaming option.

I didnt want to miss it, so i didnt want to rely on online as sometimes those streams just disappear. it will be my 15$ worth spent :)

Thanks for the info. I won't be spending the money as I already subscribe to setanta for about the same price. However, i'll look at the online feeds (which, yes, are very inconsistent). It's also good to know the game will be over in a decent amount of time--i had no idea they made that change. Just out of curiosity, how did you get into watching Cricket with so little exposure here? Also, do you think Canada stands a chance against the likes of Pakistan, Australia, etc? Your pool information looks like they qualified in 2nd place in their group, is that right? Or is it just listed alphabetically?

Thanks for the info. I won't be spending the money as I already subscribe to setanta for about the same price. However, i'll look at the online feeds (which, yes, are very inconsistent). It's also good to know the game will be over in a decent amount of time--i had no idea they made that change. Just out of curiosity, how did you get into watching Cricket with so little exposure here? Also, do you think Canada stands a chance against the likes of Pakistan, Australia, etc? Your pool information looks like they qualified in 2nd place in their group, is that right? Or is it just listed alphabetically?

The pools listed are alphabetically

As for Canada's chances against those major cricket nations are "hopefull" the best i can say. But against other minnows like Kenya, Canada is as much a contest as they are.

Here is Canada's Captain Ashish Bagai in a recent WC interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1XzClkIEG8

I still remember when Australia won the World Cup in '07.

Yea, OZs are masters in Cricket won it 4 times out of the 9 previous ones. Their first WC win was in India too in 1987. They won again in 1999, 2003 and 2007 while being a finalist in 2 other losing occasions. So thats pretty awesome record.

1. The West Indies won in 1975

2. The West Indies won in 1979

3. India won the 1983 edition

4. Australia won in 1987

5. Pakistan won in 1991

6. Sri Lanka won in 1995

7. Australia won in 1999

8. Australia won in 2003

9. Australia won in 2007

Yea, OZs are masters in Cricket won it 4 times out of the 9 previous ones. Their first WC win was in India too in 1987. They won again in 1999, 2003 and 2007 while being a finalist in 2 other losing occasions. So thats pretty awesome record.

1. The West Indies won in 1975

2. The West Indies won in 1979

3. India won the 1983 edition

4. Australia won in 1987

5. Pakistan won in 1991

6. Sri Lanka won in 1995

7. Australia won in 1999

8. Australia won in 2003

9. Australia won in 2007

I started watching Cricket in 2002. I started cheering on for India since I'm Indian but they couldn't get into the finals so I hope they do better this time.

• Upvote 1

I started watching Cricket in 2002. I started cheering on for India since I'm Indian but they couldn't get into the finals so I hope they do better this time.

Good on you for supporting India. but in the 2003 WC in South Africa, India was beaten in the Finals by Australia. it was 2007 WC in West Indies when India didnt even reach next round. Tonite is the first game... India vs Bangladesh

To be fair, if India don't win it in 2011, they'll never win it.

Home ground advantage (due to the ever so powerful sub-Continental bracket of countries - even though it is Australia's turn to host it) and the fact that the Indian Premier League is giving fantastic practice against world class players to all of the young Indian players.

Virender Sehwag has just hit a lazy 175 as well today as they have just made a mess of Bangladesh.

Too many easy games in the first part of the tournament unfortunately.

so last night I was watching my newly subscribed ATN cricket plus around midnight waiting for the fame to start at 00:30 am but they kept showing old practice match.

Ended up watching online.

Called Shaw today. They are showing WC on ATN PPV.

That's 9.99 per game. That's ridiculous. Cancelled the subsciption. Online will be the way

Lets go India and Canada! Imagine a final between these two (verrrrry unlikely).

Well u're right that will be very unlikely. India is like the Canucks right now (sans injuries) They just demolished Bangladsh in the 1st game setting records (personal & team) while Canada just got thumped by Sri Lanka. They are like opposite ends of the spectrum.

Canada's team is like an expansion team in its first few years at this level.

So an India vs Canada Final has as much chances as a Canucks vs Maple Leafs Stanley Cup finals

nice to see cricket thread here

and yes awesome start for the wrold cup, i realy thought sehwag would get double, but very well played nonetheless

and as for teh canada srilanka game: Canada definitely has potential!

They were balling well for their standards for around the first half of sri lankas innings, up until Jayawardena and Sangakarra decided to take control. I think it could have been alot more of a game if one of the reviews went their way, but they werent conclusive, if they were, Sri Lanka could have been in trouble. But maybe against a weakerside like New Zealand, Canada could pull an upset, and i expect them to beat Kenya and Zimbabwe, if Cheema can heat up, then Canada should at least beat Kenya and Zimbabwe.

As for me, I am cheering for Pakistan

Its a first that our side has Batting as its strong suit, due to the unfortunate incidents with Amir and Asif (I wish Amir was given a lot less!)

But regardless, we can surprise many... on a good day, I think Pakistan definitely has one of the best batting sides, rivalled by only India, Sri Lanka, and South Africa... however inexperience, no clear world cup performers so far, and the fact that our batting is best described as mercurial could be detrimental. I believe the fact that Pakistan is seen as darkhorses will be used at motivation by the players and also the last 2 world cups were complete disasters (especially 07 w/ Woolmer RIP)and the 99 finale was well, lets not talk about it :(

And also the fact that we were stripped of host status and that now majority of matches are in India should also be motivators.

But a batting line up with Hafeez, Shehzad (both in form), Akmal, Misbah, Younis, U Akmal, Afridi, and Razzaq (on their days the last 3 can literally DEMOLISH any bowling attack)

Optimal situation: Openers + Akmal lay the foundation, Misbah and Younis steadily build, and Akmal + Afridi + Razzaq finish it of with a blitzkreig.. and hopefully bowlers just put in a good game every one, cant expect game breaking performances, the days of Akram/Younis/Akhtar/Mustaq are gone and now with Amir and Asif banned, bowling is just not the strong suit, hopefully Gul can elevate his game and lead the attack!

For those that dont know, i consider Pakistan-India rivalry the BIGGEST in ANY sport, just such intense games.

Note: I dont hate India, in fact they are arguably the strongest side in this world cup and when Anwars record was broken, I was quite content since Tendulkar is pure class and well he deserved it.

Its just that Pakistan and India games are just the best!

So anyways predictions for groups

A) Sri Lanka, Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand (do not be surprised to see Canada sneak in!, and maybe Zimbabwe but im gonna hold that until i see them play in 2 hours)

B) India, South Africa, Bangladesh, England

anyways, all the best to Canada, but I want to see Pakistan and India face each other, and hopefully not until the final!

go Pakistan go!

Cheers!

• Upvote 2